Dog Started Pooing In The House

quangle

I have a 15 month old springer spaniel. She lives in the house and while she did take a while to toilet train, she has been fully trained, no accidents for nearly a year now. She has a bell to ring when she wants to go outside and this has been working great.

We are doing an extension on our house and recently opened up an upstairs area. This area is unfinished and is still just bare floor and plasterboard and unlived in. In the last week our dog has gone up there and pooed up there twice. I figured she wasn't regarding it as part of the house and therefore it was fair game, so I have gated it off to stop her going up there and hoped that was the end of it. But this afternoon, she pooed in the hallway, right in front of me, not 10 minutes after coming inside. I am 100% sure she did not indicate that she needed to go out.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this getting any worse?

I don't think a doggie door will help in this case. Sounds to me that the changes around the house are causing her some distress and/or irritation. It might simply be you're being punished. You can get her checked out medically but it sounds behavoural to me.

I don't think a doggie door will help in this case. Sounds to me that the changes around the house are causing her some distress and/or irritation. It might simply be you're being punished. You can get her checked out medically but it sounds behavoural to me.

Yes, especially if there have been strangers in & out & much banging. Guess she is leaving its my house warnings. How about staying out with her until she goes & then giving her her a treat & praise, just temporarily until all is back to normal.

I agree.

Yes, especially if there have been strangers in & out & much banging. Guess she is leaving its my house warnings. How about staying out with her until she goes & then giving her her a treat & praise, just temporarily until all is back to normal.

Yep, I agree with this too.

I do not think dogs toilet inside to "punish" their owners. Most likely the stress of the new changes are causing her to become confused/anxious and forget her previous training or she could be "marking" her territory.

Go back to basic puppy toilet training- regular outings, huge reward for going outside.

Esky is perfectly toilet trained.

Never has an accident inside (except the few times she's had an upset tummy :o )

But each time we've moved to a new house, there have been a few accidents inside.

Each house has had vastly different arrangements and flooring though.

But now I know to go back to basics when we move house, just for the first week or so, to show her the rules of the new house.

It's a new extension, so a new room, I'd say like Esky your dog just needs to be reminded that outside is the place to go.

<br />I do not think dogs  toilet inside to "punish" their owners. Most likely the stress of the new changes are causing her to become confused/anxious and forget her previous training or she could be "marking" her territory. <br /><br />Go back to basic puppy toilet training- regular outings, huge reward for going outside.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Snert, let me introduce you to Grumpy.