Which Flea Treatment Do You Find Works Best?

Hi All,

We were using FRONTLINE but have now found a flea or two on the dogs so I want to switch Just wanting some opinion as to what FLEA treatment you like using and is cheap.

We have 4 Adults under 10kgs.

Have seen two fleas on a couple of them BUT 3 of them have chewed their rear ends red raw and are frequently scratching their rib area.

Adults are 18month-4 yrs and haven't had this problem before.

They have totally destroyed the grass out back so I am now looking into artificial Lawn, their bedding was washed in HOT water with bleech. Vet seems to think they are allergic to something but theres nothing out the back except dirt :mad

and two trees.

I have another dog inside on maternal duties and she isnt scratching so its not diet related.

Do fleas prefer dirt to grass to live in?

Any help would be wonderful.

BB

Comfortis works best for my two GSD's but it is important to hit the whole area as well.

Treat the dogs, beds, yard all at the same time. I use Phermoxin ... but something like Malawash / Malaban isn't too bad in price. Check with the local produce store to see what they have on the shelf - and then drench the yard ... particularly where the dogs like to lay.

Is the bleach rinsed out well? Maybe it is the bleach they are reacting too?

Edited by Tilly

Comfortis hands down here.

We have experienced a huge Flea explosion this year, and I have had so many clients who normally have flea free pets having big problems with them.

Nothing has come close to touching the problem like Comfortis.

Comfortis hands down here.

We have experienced a huge Flea explosion this year, and I have had so many clients who normally have flea free pets having big problems with them.

Nothing has come close to touching the problem like Comfortis.

Agree 100%.I had never had a flea problem until this year.Gave it to both my greyhounds with no side affects at all.I had a foster grey arrive from a country pound covered in fleas,gave him comfortis,hydrobath the next day and not a flea to be seen.Great product for mine.

I don't think Frontline has worked for years and years. Maybe in areas that have never had it before - but never worked for me. I now use Comfortis and not a flea to be seen. I also do our cat but with a different one - but still a top-end of the renge one.

Hey guys I posted this in another thread but might be better to repost here.. , I have just started using interceptor spectrum which says it is also for fleas.. I used to use comfortis but stopped once I saw that this allwormer also covered fleas.. I have found though that Rogue has been scratching this past week.. Is it ok to also use comfortis? I can't find anything in the box that says anything about mixing the two so does anyone know if it is alright to use both..

Hey guys I posted this in another thread but might be better to repost here.. , I have just started using interceptor spectrum which says it is also for fleas.. I used to use comfortis but stopped once I saw that this allwormer also covered fleas.. I have found though that Rogue has been scratching this past week.. Is it ok to also use comfortis? I can't find anything in the box that says anything about mixing the two so does anyone know if it is alright to use both..

Interceptor does not cover fleas.

Sentinel Spectrum sterilises flea eggs but will not actually kill adult fleas.

You can use both interceptor and comfortis if you need. I wouldn't give them on the same day though, ideally I would give them 2 weeks apart.

Comfortis works best for my two GSD's but it is important to hit the whole area as well.

Treat the dogs, beds, yard all at the same time. I use Phermoxin ... but something like Malawash / Malaban isn't too bad in price. Check with the local produce store to see what they have on the shelf - and then drench the yard ... particularly where the dogs like to lay.

Is the bleach rinsed out well? Maybe it is the bleach they are reacting too?

Thanks guys, I washed the bedding in the washing machine and bleech was used in the first cycle so was well washed out by the time the whole cycle was completed. They were scratching before I did this process.

I have a tin of Malaban do you mean Tilly that I dilute it and spray it or throw buckets of it all over the ground & inside the kennels?

I did tip a bucket of it over the dogs but then the warnings on the can got to me "about ingestion & poison" so I rinsed them off completly.

I checked one site trixanpet for comfortis and had this mentioned " Side effects can include, but may not be limited to vomiting, depression/lethargy, anorexia, ataxia, diarrhoea, pruritis (itchy skin), trembling, hypersalivation and seizures. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour of administration, give another full dose. And Owners should seek veterinary advice regarding use in pregnant or lactating animals and for use in dogs with pre-existing epilepsy. Safety has not been established in breeding males."

Never saw a warning about breeding males before, small chance my boy may eventually be used at stud so how will it effect him??

Has any one had the above side effects??

They only hvae boxes of 6 so not very cheap with four dogs to cover.

Does anyone else have other reccomendations???

BB

Some dogs will Vomit, but that is greatly reduced by dosing with a meal as directed.

One of my clients said her dog went off its food next meal but then was back to normal, I have had no problems with my own dogs.

We have sold quite a lot of Comfortis at work and apart from the odd nausea or vomit have had no other reports of side effects.

I used Comfortis when my Brittany got fleas, I saw them literally fall off of him over the next few hours, but the time four hours had passed there was nothing on him at all! He gets it every month now, not a flea since.

Edited by Nadsi

We use comfortis. Best flea product on the market as far as I am concerned. We tried frontline, as the vet recommended, several times but it NEVER worked. Used comfortis once and all gone, I don't treat every month, only as I see them appear, but we haven't had any fleas for a good 8-12 months now. Recommended it to my Dad for his two dogs, he had a huge infestation, and worked a treat. He now swears black and blue by it and recommends it to others. We also use interceptor spectrum for worming and have had no problems is using them together.

I am also looking for a better flea treatment.

Comfortis may be the one but how many have had issues like this posted on the Comfortis website.?

Important Safety Information

The most common adverse reaction reported is vomiting.

Other adverse reactions reported in decreasing order of frequency are: depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures.

Following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with Comfortis, some dogs have experienced the following clinical signs: trembling/twitching, salivation/drooling, seizures, incoordination, excessive dilation of pupils, blindness and disorientation.

Post-approval experience continues to support the safety of Comfortis when used concurrently with heartworm preventatives according to label directions.

Just a quick note....

Just because you see a couple fleas doesnt mean the product isnt working.

They could be emergent adult fleas which have jumped onto your dog from the environment, and havent yet been killed.

If you have feral cats/possums through your backyard, you may never get to completely flea free environment as they will constantly drop flea eggs throughout your property.

If you go to the park/walk/someone elses house, they can pick up fleas.

Most people also know that if the pet has had a bath, the product cant be applied until the coat is 100% dry (I usually tell general public 48hrs to be safe!!)

Just wanting to put this out there, because alot of people seem to have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fleas and never ever seeing any.

Edit:

Bit more info. It is much easier to understand perhaps why it may appear some flea products dont work if you understand everything about fleas/cycles/infestations.

http://www.drmichaeldryden.com/fleas/

This guy is brilliant btw! Saw a seminar by him and completely changed the way I think about fleas/flea infestations.

Edited by jrm88

I was hesitant about comfortis too, but it was the ONLY thing that killed the fleas on my two. I think the youngest brought it home with him after we went out one day, because one use of comfortis and the fleas were all gone. Frontline was useless and so was advantage. I'm another who only uses when necessary. Mum used comfortis on our oldies as they had a massive flea infestation, and poof all gone after one treatment.