Which Flea Treatment Do You Find Works Best?

Been using Comfortis for AGES. Elanco who owns Comfortis told us in a training session that they believe Comfortis to be safe all round, but haven't spent the $$$ to do the clinical trials to prove that its completely safe for entire males. The test study they did had a mixed group of subjects.

Is there any GOOD spot ons anyone can reccommend?

BB

Advantix hands down. Used it on the staffy mix for about 5-6 years, and the Aussie and the schip all their lives. Never seen a single flea in all this time. I have noticed Frontline only works for a certain amount of time unfortunately. But I love Advantix, never had any side effects either :thumbsup: I pair Advantix with inteceptor for worm treatment. I also hope to use my boy at stud, and Advantix hasn't been a risk to this possibility.

Is there any GOOD spot ons anyone can reccommend?

BB

I use advocate and have never seen a flea on my dogs. They're never itchy either. To make it cheaper if you have multiple small dogs get the tube for large to giant dogs and divide it amongst them. Its not recommended on the pack to do this but theres no problem with it- they just rather you spend more money...

If you are using Frontline and are seeing fleas on your dog, then they are fleas that have just hopped on.

There have been no studies that have proven there is a resistance to Frontline.

I'd be vry reluctant to use anything on my breeding dogs, where studies have not been conducted, where breeding animals are concerned.

Treat the yard with lime. I have asked the question to our Frontline rep regarding lime and why it works. She presented that question to a scientist who studies fleas and they have suggested that it may be abrasive to them or burn them. Lime appears to do the trick on lawns, in gardens and under houses.

I use Advantix but since I am using it for the tick protection it is applied fortnightly. This means fleas don't ever get a look in.

I'd be vry reluctant to use anything on my breeding dogs, where studies have not been conducted, where breeding animals are concerned.

When discussing flea treatments with two breeders at a show a few months back they were shocked that I use Comfortis as they had heard of bad side effects. I did some research and I have found this study in America....

"In a reproductive safety study, Comfortis chewable tablets were administered orally to female Beagles at 1.3 and 4.4 times the maximum recommended therapeutic dose every 28 days prior to mating, during gestation, and during a six-week lactation period. No treatment-related adverse effects were noted for conception rates in the dams, or for mortality, body temperature, necropsy, or histopathology findings for the dams or puppies. One dam from each treatment group experienced early pregnancy loss and one additional high dose dam aborted late term. The treated dams experienced more vomiting, especially at one hour post-dose, than the control dams. Puppies from dams treated at 1.3 times the maximum recommended therapeutic dose had lower body weights than puppies from control dams. Although puppy mortality between treated and control dams was not different, the puppies from the treated dams experienced more lethargy (4.4X group only), dehydration, weakness and felt cold to the touch (4.4X group only) than puppies from control dams.

A pilot study without a control group was conducted to analyze milk from three lactating dogs treated with an experimental formulation of spinosad at 1.5 times the maximum recommended dose administered at day 28 of gestation and 24 hours prior to parturition. The data demonstrated that spinosyns were excreted in the milk of these dogs. Mortality and morbidity were greatest in puppies from the dam with the highest spinosyns level in milk. The spinosad milk: reference plasma exposure ratio calculated from this study ranged from 2.2 to 3.5."

I have decided to try something else as I also don't want to take the risk.

Advantage or Advocate are what I use. You can buy cheaply online and I use them on the 1st of the month religiously plus I wash all their bedding every week.

Could you have Wandering Jew in the yard? Normally with fleas you see a lot of irritation at the base of the back, nr the tail.

Thanks everyone, took him to the vet and said it was a flea dermatitis so he picked up a couple from somewhere.

She reccommended Comfortis plus antibiotics.

The scratching has subsided alot.

No wandering dew around here.

BB

I use Revolution. I buy it online for the best price.

It (according to the packaging) kills adult fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae in the environment. It covers heartworm, ear mites and sarcoptic mange too.

Edited to add: I've never found a flea on my dog, so either it's working...or we've just been lucky! :)

Edited by trinabean

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Advocate here (although I also hear Revolution is very good). It isn't the cheapest product but as it does worms and heart worm so you do save on multiple products (doesn't do hydatids though).

My Australian Shepherd is quite reactive to fleas and Advocate once a month seems to stay on top of them. Also safe for Aussies/ Collies that aren't good with some drugs.

We tried Frontline and it didn't work for us at all. Advantage is cheaper but I believe it only kills eggs or adults, can't remember which (although not 100% certain on that, so please don't take my word for it).

Good luck on your search!