Has Anyone Used The Bitsa Test Before?

BJean

I'm tempted to do the test on a pedigreed dog with proven lineage and see the results.

I have seen this done in the US on quite a few different doggy websites and the results are really quite bizarre sometimes.

We had our heinz variety mutt done, and really as she looks like a 'dog' we have no idea if it is true or not. It came back as one of her grandparents would have been a full neo mastiff and her great grandparents would have had a Stafford and a Maltese in there as well :rofl:

She really is so diluted in her breeds that she is in reality, a dog!

What I would find very interesting result is if someone sent in a swab of themselves and see what dog mix you come back as!

I'm sorry but a leading genetic mob sent out a result to a woman * not dog related* that she had a massive risk of having prostate cancer.

These people are just scum and should all be shut down as it is straight out fraud.

What I would find very interesting result is if someone sent in a swab of themselves and see what dog mix you come back as!

If a genetic marker is variable enough to detect differences between individuals and breeds, it will be too variable to amplify across species as distinct as dogs and humans. They would probably barely work on foxes.

I'm sorry but a leading genetic mob sent out a result to a woman * not dog related* that she had a massive risk of having prostate cancer.

She may well have had a gene that predisposes to prostate cancer in males, and if she had a son he could have 50-100% chance of inheriting this risk - depending on the mode of inheritance of the gene - so that could be quite useful information.

I'm not defending the breed tests because I don't know how they are done, just adding some info :)

Edit - I just did a quick google and the known genes for prostate cancer risk are 3 autosomal genes (so sons have a 50% chance of inheriting) and one on the X-chromosome (so sons have a 100% chance of inheriting). None of the known susceptibilities are Y-linked (which would make them exclusive to males).

Edited by Weasels