Rally O

Just found out today that our obedience club will have a rally o this year along with our trials. No idea what this is or is involved. I asked the instructor and she explained a little so I sorta got the gist but I would like a better explanation of what is involved. And can any dog join in or is it for the higher classes? We are both currently in class 2. We would love to give it a try.

Edited by teela

Hi teela, Rally O is basically a series of doodling moves set to a course set by the judge. The signs tell you what move to make and they are numbered a bit like agility. You get to walk the course without your dog first and then you start on the judges command forward. The judge doesn't call and you can chat to your dog and encourage as much as you want. Its a lot of fun :thumbsup: Here is a video of my Advanced course with Brookie.

Novice doesn't have the figure 8 with distractions or the jump. The rules and signs are here, scroll down to Obedience and look for Rally O

http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

Edited by bedazzledx2

Rally is much less rigid than traditional Obedience. It's only a few minutes for each run so the dogs don't get easily bored and you can talk to the dogs all the way through. I think that's what my Boxer likes the most - that we still have the interaction. Plus he had to learn some new tricks and that's always fun.

Hi teela, Rally O is basically a series of doodling moves set to a course set by the judge. The signs tell you what move to make and they are numbered a bit like agility. You get to walk the course without your dog first and then you start on the judges command forward. The judge doesn't call and you can chat to your dog and encourage as much as you want. Its a lot of fun :thumbsup: Here is a video of my Advanced course with Brookie.

Novice doesn't have the figure 8 with distractions or the jump. The rules and signs are here, scroll down to Obedience and look for Rally O

Lovely work Bedazzledx2....you might be able to help me with a problem I have with training heel. I hold my hand as you do, as a target & she will follow it well enough, but in training, as soon as I give her a treat, she thinks the exercise is over. She will go quite a distance before I treat & I am extending this duration, but she then thinks it is all over. Looking at your videos (other than the one above), the answer is probably staring me in the face.....is it that you don't treat in position, but you treat when you release. I was taught to treat "down the drain" ie while in heel position. :confused: Hope I havn't confused anyone & sorry Teela for barging in on your topic. :)

Lovely work Bedazzledx2....you might be able to help me with a problem I have with training heel. I hold my hand as you do, as a target & she will follow it well enough, but in training, as soon as I give her a treat, she thinks the exercise is over. She will go quite a distance before I treat & I am extending this duration, but she then thinks it is all over. Looking at your videos (other than the one above), the answer is probably staring me in the face.....is it that you don't treat in position, but you treat when you release. I was taught to treat "down the drain" ie while in heel position. :confused: Hope I havn't confused anyone & sorry Teela for barging in on your topic. :)

I'm not sure if it would work for your dog, but have you considered using two types of treats as you're working? One high value, one not so high. Hold the two types together in your hand, but mid-exercise treat with the not-so-high value, and then at the end with the high value just before the release. Hopefully the smell of the high value treat will keep her going until the end? Keep it short though! =)

Everyone is different and I'm not sure how Bedazzled trains it, but I never reward in position. I also have a clear reward marker (i.e. good dog or yes) to tell my dog they've got it right and a reward is coming and then I have a clear release command (i.e. ok) that says the you can have your reward now.

Hi sheena, the answer is a bit more complicated. Actually Brookie doesn't target my hand...it may look like it but at the start of each round for trial or training I ask for a hand touch and I show him I have no food in my hand! For some things I treat in position and the early stages of teaching heel but I quickly progress to the Hansel and Gretel game by getting a few steps of perfect heel, click and throw the food away with a 'get it' command and keep walking in my heelwork attitude. They learn to run out and get the food and then re-join you for lovely heelwork again.

Another thing I do is to have the treats in a bag somewhere close and ask for perfect heel and then jackpot to the treat in the bag.

Hi sheena, the answer is a bit more complicated. Actually Brookie doesn't target my hand...it may look like it but at the start of each round for trial or training I ask for a hand touch and I show him I have no food in my hand! For some things I treat in position and the early stages of teaching heel but I quickly progress to the Hansel and Gretel game by getting a few steps of perfect heel, click and throw the food away with a 'get it' command and keep walking in my heelwork attitude. They learn to run out and get the food and then re-join you for lovely heelwork again.

Another thing I do is to have the treats in a bag somewhere close and ask for perfect heel and then jackpot to the treat in the bag.

Thanks, I will try that. In the early days of shaping her to do tricks with the clicker, I would click then throw the food away from the object & she would run get the treat then go back to the position she was in that earnt the reward. Then I learnt that I was supposed to reward as close to the object as possible & have been doing that of late, but I think I will go back to my old method of shaping & see what she does, because I think that method...you call Hansel & Gretel, probably makes them think a little harder for themselves & should make her want to return to the heel position to earn another treat....why didn't I think of that :) The other method always seemed more like luring to me :)