Tear Stain Problem

This is supposed to help stop the staining in the first place. http://angelseyesaustralia.com/about-angels-eyes.html

Make sure if you use this stuff that it is the natural formula. The other one contains a daily dose of antibiotic (Tylosin) which is unapproved for use in Australia as it's long term effects are not known.

With regards to this. I have friends overseas who have used fish antibiotics on their dogs for many years for tear staining (a pinch in their food every night) and none of them reported any adverse effects with long term use, whether physically or with respects to reproductive health either. That's not to say that I personally would do this, but I don't think it is essentially a major concern.

Tylosin is an antibiotic implicated in resistance issues in human health. http://www.apvma.gov.au/products/review/current/macrolide_antibiotics.php

It also has potential side effects and interactions with other medications. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/tylosin-tylan/page1.aspx

Anything containing antibiotic should be approved for sale in Australia (Angels Eyes original is not), and/or prescribed by a vet taking into account other heath issues, medications, etc etc. Veterinary drugs aren't screened for safety and efficacy just to be a pain in the butt, but to try and protect the health of our animals.

Angel Eyes is a low grade antibiotic. It works because it combats the bacteria in the tearstains that cause discoloration. Such bacteria thrive when the immune system is depressed.

I think discovering the cause that is producing a depression of the dogs immune system is preferable to masking the symptoms. Check your dog's teeth and gum health, and remove from the diet all food containing artificial colorings and preservatives and my guess is the tear stains will clear up. Some Vitamin C won't hurt either. The only time my white poodle gets tear stains is when she needs a tooth clean.

I am no fan of the use of low grade antibiotics in surface sprays or on dogs.. this is how superbugs are made. :(

Angel Eyes wont' fix the issue that's causing your dogs' immune system problems - it simply masks the results. Have a think about that.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Also adding Apple Cider Vinegar to drinking water can help by altering the PH level of the tears which is how staining occurs in the first place (PROVIDED as mentioned above there is no medical reason for the tears).

What ratios do you use?

(cider to water)

Nothing as scientific as a measurement I'm afraid. I generally use a good slosh to a water bowl about the size of an icecream container...more or less depending upon the size of the bowl. If they don't drink it, you've used too much. Been using it for years in all drinking water. Also good for cats, helps to neutralise the pee smells.

Angel Eyes is a low grade antibiotic. It works because it combats the bacteria in the tearstains that cause discoloration. Such bacteria thrive when the immune system is depressed.

I think discovering the cause that is producing a depression of the dogs immune system is preferable to masking the symptoms. Check your dog's teeth and gum health, and remove from the diet all food containing artificial colorings and preservatives and my guess is the tear stains will clear up. Some Vitamin C won't hurt either. The only time my white poodle gets tear stains is when she needs a tooth clean.

I am no fan of the use of low grade antibiotics in surface sprays or on dogs.. this is how superbugs are made. :(

Angel Eyes wont' fix the issue that's causing your dogs' immune system problems - it simply masks the results. Have a think about that.

The Lowchen is on a raw diet with no dry food or anything with colourings etc. Basically a Failsafe diet for dogs if you like. No health issues with eyes, teeth, gums or ears. Excellent fertility. No apparent health issues whatsoever. ACV and Angel Eyes together are doing what raw alone didn't. And despite my doing everything you suggested above, there was still tear staining. Each to their own I guess.

Tylosin is an antibiotic implicated in resistance issues in human health. http://www.apvma.gov.au/products/review/current/macrolide_antibiotics.php

It also has potential side effects and interactions with other medications. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/tylosin-tylan/page1.aspx

Anything containing antibiotic should be approved for sale in Australia (Angels Eyes original is not), and/or prescribed by a vet taking into account other heath issues, medications, etc etc. Veterinary drugs aren't screened for safety and efficacy just to be a pain in the butt, but to try and protect the health of our animals.

Implicated and potential. EVERYTHING has implications and potential to do something bad but it doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen or that the risk is large. As I said, I've known people in the USA who have used these things routinely for many many years (I'm talking decades, not singles) with no issues to health, immunity or fertility in either the dogs being treated or their offspring. As I also said, I wouldn't do it but it is up to the individual to make their own choice without feeling that they are being looked down upon or getting beaten up over their choices.

Incidentally, if it is not approved for sale in Australia, then why is it so readily available, quite openly, from so many sources? Given the difficulties that Animal Naturals had in getting a dietary supplement like K9 Showstopper approved and given how many people have had other products seized at customs, one would think that there would not be a ready supply of the product if it were not allowed to be sent to our country?

Incidentally, if it is not approved for sale in Australia, then why is it so readily available, quite openly, from so many sources? Given the difficulties that Animal Naturals had in getting a dietary supplement like K9 Showstopper approved and given how many people have had other products seized at customs, one would think that there would not be a ready supply of the product if it were not allowed to be sent to our country?

Because it's importers and suppliers are happy to flaunt the law, and procedures in place to try and protect animal health in Australia, in favour of making a quick buck. If it's being imported or sold there are possible criminal offences involved and people should save their money and report it here: http://www.apvma.gov.au/compliance/report.php

And bear in mind, for Troy's sake - that the publishing of notices offering unregistered vet products may also be an offence.

I totally agree, I had a pup on an IV drip for a week due to a Multiply resistant bug, after speaking to my Dad who is a veterinary microbiologist he is appalled that low graded anti's are available, if we are using antibiotics all the time what happens when they really get sick?

However I do have a question re the tear stains, I have a yellow lab that has tear stains, I have tried a few of the topical ointment things but with no luck, has anyone had any success with any of these products?

can someone please clarify for me the Angel Eyes that a few online pet stores are selling (not wanting to name the advertisers on here) and one of the well known canine stores (for show people ) here in Adelaide is the newer ok formula or the original one?

I totally agree, I had a pup on an IV drip for a week due to a Multiply resistant bug, after speaking to my Dad who is a veterinary microbiologist he is appalled that low graded anti's are available, if we are using antibiotics all the time what happens when they really get sick?

However I do have a question re the tear stains, I have a yellow lab that has tear stains, I have tried a few of the topical ointment things but with no luck, has anyone had any success with any of these products?

Yes, Kojo eye conditioner. Second product here

Hi, this is my first post but I didn't want to leave some of these comments without some facts.

Angel Eyes is not approved in Australia. I have actually spoken to the APVMA (Australian Pesticides & Veterinary Medicines Authority)& they have banned Angel Eyes because of the ingredient Tylosin, which is an antibiotic which is only supposed to be given to dogs & cats under the instruction of a vet.

I have been trying to get NaturVet Tear Stain Supplement for my dog (the reason for the phone call to the APVMA), which is a natural supplement that has had good reviews by users overseas. From what I can find out, no-one will post NaturVet stain remover (or its identical product Vet Classics Tear Stain supplement) to Australia (even if I try to buy it on Amazon)& I cannot find it in any shops in Australia, so I am unable to obtain this at present. Has anybody used the "Glow Groom" tear stain supplement which IS available in Australia ? I can only find reviews of the product on their website, & I am not sure that you can trust reviews that are only found on a website that promotes a product. I think "Glow Groom" has only been in Australia for a few months. Has anybody had any experience with this product ??

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a bitch currently on a course of Glow Groom. I have to say I am very pleased with the results. I have used Angel Eyes previously and was not all that impressed. I think it may be because the "banned ingredient" is no longer in it..it seems to take longer to have any effect.

What I like about "Glow Groom" is that it is a once off course and should have lasting effect...we will see...as not finished with it yet.

I am a bit confused about the dosing table on their website thought. :confused: Perhaps I did it wrong, but according to that I would have to have given my small bitch much more than I have been and it would have been both costly and wasteful. I am giving her one little (supplied) spoonsful daily with her evening meal and with two weeks I saw a great improvement and after a month ALL the staining is gone. She had a terrible staining problem and although she has been checked by a veterinary ophalmologist and given the all clear she continued to tear and stain, despite twice daily cleaning. With Cavalier King Charles Spaniel tearing has to do with the shape (roundness) of their eyes and tiny tear ducts. Some tear, some don't.

While the Jury is still out on Glow Groom, because I am yet to reach the end of the dosing stage, so far, I'm happy. Will let you know if tearing returns after the dosing course is complete. :)

Edited by LizT