Scourban - Causing Constipation After Diarrhea

giraffez

I work in a country vet and farmers come in all the time and buy it buy the 2 litre bottle for using on calves, goats etc. with scours.

So to me I would ask your vet for some next time you visit

I did try asking to buy it without a consult but they insisted on one to confirm that it was for the dog and not for me. I grabbed the dog out of the car and brought him into the consult room where....well let's just say the vet had absolutely no problems confirming scouring. :o

It was quite expensive. Like $25 for a small bottle (very small bottle). Are there other places beside the vet that this can be brought at. Maybe online?

I have some left, should I keep it in the fridge

My JS had the runs when we 1st got him. I contacted his breeder & she told me he had had the runs b4 getting him & it cleared up with scourban, & was surprised my vet didn't tell me to use scourban. When I did ask my vet about it she said not to use it as it only causes dehydration. I had to put him on a diet of boiled chicken & rice for a few days & it cleared up.

It was quite expensive. Like $25 for a small bottle (very small bottle). Are there other places beside the vet that this can be brought at. Maybe online?

I was told it has at least a 12 month shelf life and doesn't have to be stored in the fridge. Agree on the price - one litre left my credit card screaming.

I was told it has at least a 12 month shelf life and doesn't have to be stored in the fridge. Agree on the price - one litre left my credit card screaming.

Mine was more like 100mls.

It works out cheaper if you buy from a feed store in bucket form.

But...... you may never need to use it again within the 12 months. We use it for the calves, but find we don't save anything by buying it bulk & having it go off. Better to just go to the vet & get the required amount when & if we need it. It's only cheap if you need it....if you don't need it, then it's a waste of money.

My JS had the runs when we 1st got him. I contacted his breeder & she told me he had had the runs b4 getting him & it cleared up with scourban, & was surprised my vet didn't tell me to use scourban. When I did ask my vet about it she said not to use it as it only causes dehydration. I had to put him on a diet of boiled chicken & rice for a few days & it cleared up.

Yes, I've heard a few negative things about Scourban too. I have found a fast followed by the chicken & rice to be most reliable. It seems to always takes a few days before the digestive system kicks back in to produce any waste.