Army Looking For Bomb Detection Dogs

Hi Everyone,

I contacted the Army last week when we were temp testing Yard 35 as she ticked all the boxes. She got rscued by AWDRI who will be taking her up to be assessed.

Anyway whilst on the phone I was told that they are looking for 25 suitable dogs by the end of the month.

Dogs need to be under 3 years of age

They need to have a strong ball drivem could fetch and return all day and all night if they had too.

They need to be able to chase after a dead ball (so still chase the ball even when it has stopped moving

Let me know if you think you have a dog that matches that and I can get the guys to contact you.

Cheers Bev

How does the bomb detection task work? I know for quarantine and drug dogs, they sniff and the ball is the reward afterwards. For the explosive detection - is it the same?

Because the army are asking for "ball mad" rather than "super keen smell" to detective the explosives, I have horrific visions of the dog being used to detonate the explosives - which can't possibly be the case. Any idea what the training is and what the bomb detection task actually involves?

Also does the dog need to bring the ball back? For instance, my own dog is absolutely crazy about balls and will chase all day and he will run back to you with it but is reluctant to surrender the ball.

ETA: Own question answered here. Looks like they alert handler of bomb i.e. don't dig but looks like they are also of use because if the bomb detonates and the dog is killed, then human lives are saved

Edited by koalathebear

Pretty much any dog can do scent detection, they all have superior sense of smell. That's why they don't usually need to specify that the dog has a keen sense, because they all do. The amount of drive in the dog is more important. Usually the dogs work for many hours each day, and in heat and rain etc, so you can't work with a dog that loses interest in earning the reward when it gets a bit difficult.

Of course they don't detonate the explosives, they're not gonna put all that time and money into training a dog only to blow it up.

Edited by fuzzy82

Of course they don't detonate the explosives, they're not gonna put all that time and money into training a dog only to blow it up.

That's what I assumed but there's usually not a lot of detail about the mechanics (I've seen lots of stuff about other working dogs and explosive detection dogs outside of a war zone but not so much about the ones in a warzone). I'm not trying to be provocative - I just want to find out exactly what is involved. Also, as the articles point out, while the intention is of course not to blow up the dog, the dog's life also serves as another layer of protection for the humans.

I found a good video clip on Behind the News of all places :) The dogs look very well looked after.

Edited by koalathebear

That's what I assumed but there's usually not a lot of detail about the mechanics (I've seen lots of stuff about other working dogs and explosive detection dogs outside of a war zone but not so much about the ones in a warzone). I'm not trying to be provocative - I just want to find out exactly what is involved. Also, as the articles point out, while the intention is of course not to blow up the dog, the dog's life also serves as another layer of protection for the humans.

I found a good video clip on Behind the News of all places :) The dogs look very well looked after.

Hi KTB,

They would probably teach them a passive response to finding the explosives such as a sit or drop, would be the same as other explosive detection dogs. The ball would be their reward :) The drive level and stable temperament is more important than "scenting ability" as pretty much all dogs can smell well enough to do the work, it is the motivation to do the work for long periods of time through distractions that is more difficult to find.

Thanks for the info.

The irony - my first foster dog was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've just found out that he was taken to be assessed by the army today and the army are going to take him on a three week trial!! Gadzooks

Edited by koalathebear

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.

My foster Angel would be perfect - she is fetch mad, and will cry until you throw her toys. And if she can't find it she'll keep searching until she finds it. She learns everything with toy rewards instead of treats :)

The main thing I will be questioning them about though (and please answer if you already know) is where they are kept when they aren't working, eg a kennel/cage or in yards etc. And what happens to them when they retire. And I'd like to know what happens to her (eg if she's injured etc). Lol I love this dog so much and want to make sure its perfect for her

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.

My foster Angel would be perfect - she is fetch mad, and will cry until you throw her toys. And if she can't find it she'll keep searching until she finds it. She learns everything with toy rewards instead of treats :)

The main thing I will be questioning them about though (and please answer if you already know) is where they are kept when they aren't working, eg a kennel/cage or in yards etc. And what happens to them when they retire. And I'd like to know what happens to her (eg if she's injured etc). Lol I love this dog so much and want to make sure its perfect for her

I had a foster dog who was tested and went on the training but unfortunately failed in the gun shy test.

They told me at the time that while in training they would be kennelled but work and train pretty much all day every day so they generally just sleep.

When retired or if they fail or are injured at any time in the training the army rehome them.

Sometimes it is hard to think about given the risk that they could be killed, but for me it is so great to see a dog working and doing a job they love.

I know a couple of army dog handlers and they just love their dogs. From what I have heard they get treated extremely well.

In my experience the work that these dogs do is very highly valued and the loss of any of these dogs is felt very strongly by everyone.

When one of the Explosive detection dogs, along with his handler, died in Afganistan a couple of years back they brought the dogs ashes home and had a very moving ceremony for him back at the army base. The dog, Herbie's ashes were given to the wife ofhis handler and are buried with his handler.

Obviously they don't want the dogs to be harmed, but if/when they are, they are very much honoured.