Building Speed With The Weaves

I get where you are coming from with ppls comments, you need to brush them off have fun and talk to the more positive ppl at trials, tune out the others

I get comments all the time, [you need to run faster] translated -- loose weight , as I was leading out once sm1 said "yeah she is a big girl "I heard it and knew the voice , but tuned it out. even to the extent that a judge said 'loose weight "instead of congrats at presentations . Hey I'm active and out there doing stuff , not sitting on my fat arse , instead I run my fat arse round all over the place , like I give a fly #$%^&* what they think . It affects me not them . I tune it out and go on my way

Hopefully you can do the same and then your dog may not pick up on it , if it is that ,it may help to give them all the finger and just have fun :D

That's horrible!

Why do people feel the need to be so horrible :(

I am a bigger lady as well, so it's very sad to hear that people who should be doing it for fun and for the dogs make such nasty mean comments behind your back :(

I get where you are coming from with ppls comments, you need to brush them off have fun and talk to the more positive ppl at trials, tune out the others

I get comments all the time, [you need to run faster] translated -- loose weight , as I was leading out once sm1 said "yeah she is a big girl "I heard it and knew the voice , but tuned it out. even to the extent that a judge said 'loose weight "instead of congrats at presentations . Hey I'm active and out there doing stuff , not sitting on my fat arse , instead I run my fat arse round all over the place , like I give a fly #$%^&* what they think . It affects me not them . I tune it out and go on my way

Hopefully you can do the same and then your dog may not pick up on it , if it is that ,it may help to give them all the finger and just have fun :D

Where's the "like" button :thumbsup: funny if it is the same people. :laugh: With friends like that you don't need enemies.

well they are not friends , they are acquaintances

chances are they could be the same or some of , I couldn;t tell you how many ppl have said the 1st , like a broken record now , I just say nah she has to learn distance like Chopper did :laugh:

That's horrible!

I am a bigger lady as well, so it's very sad to hear that people who should be doing it for fun and for the dogs make such nasty mean comments behind your back :(

it is not behind your back, it is to your face , with exception of the one when i was doing my lead out. I wonder sometimes if they think that I don't know and they need to tell me so I realise I am fat

:eek: What I am FAT!!!! well there goes my miss australia entry :cry::rofl:

they prob think they are helping, but as in case of OP it has caused a problem :confused: it is rude and can upset some people

That's horrible!

it is not behind your back, it is to your face , with exception of the one when i was doing my lead out. I wonder sometimes if they think that I don't know and they need to tell me so I realise I am fat

they prob think they are helping, but as in case of OP it has caused a problem :confused: it is rude and can upset some people

Nah...you wouldn't have stood a chance competing against me for Miss Australia :rofl:

Thanks for everyone's input on the weave pole problem. I will just somehow have to try & make the weaves in a trial as exciting as in training, but without food or toys & fly through them with me thinking of what I am going to cook for dinner instead of worrying about her going so slow....or better still, seeing that she is so sensitive to what I am thinking....what I am going to give her for dinner. :laugh:

ETA...for us bigger & probably more senior ladies, I have an excellent two DVD set on distance training put together by another motion impaired lady called Kristy Netzer. The DVD is called "Dial Up The Distance" & is excellent. :thumbsup: She shows us all by example, that no matter what size, shape or age you are, there is a way of training your dog for success. She is very encouraging :)

Edited by sheena

That's horrible that ppl are rude to your face or behind your back :( after all this is meant to be a fun pastime it's not exactly the olympics!

I have had the opposite criticism that I run too much, too fast etc. Although it's probably better to be able to hAndle from a distance I quite enjoy running around like a lunatic with my dog lol.

I sort of have the opposite problem in trials- my dog runs much faster. I guess I need to make training more fun...

If I could just add on to the topic of weaves- is it possible to change the style that the digs weaves in? Mindy sort of "steps" thru rather than doing the side to side bounding

motion most bigger digs do. She also keeps her head up rather than down.

Although I am happy that she is at least doing them with reasonable speed and accuracy now, but we can always improve!

If I could just add on to the topic of weaves- is it possible to change the style that the digs weaves in? Mindy sort of "steps" thru rather than doing the side to side bounding

Although I am happy that she is at least doing them with reasonable speed and accuracy now, but we can always improve!

I think, in terms of stepping, the dogs choose the system that suits them best. Ziggy single steps and you can see he is really comfortable with it. I think Em bounces through and, again, that suits her body shape. They were both trained using 2x2 method. I do prefer to see the dogs carrying their head down lower - placement of reward is pretty important when training but I would imagine it would be a difficult habit to break if holding their head up has become a patterned behaviour.

Mindy was trained using the channel method. I throw her reward (usually a ball or toy) as she comes out of the last weave. she used to weave head down but now that she has more confidence and has started to try to go faster her head seems to be coming up?

I think, in terms of stepping, the dogs choose the system that suits them best. Ziggy single steps and you can see he is really comfortable with it. I think Em bounces through and, again, that suits her body shape. They were both trained using 2x2 method. I do prefer to see the dogs carrying their head down lower - placement of reward is pretty important when training but I would imagine it would be a difficult habit to break if holding their head up has become a patterned behaviour.

I think Susan Garret likes her dogs to one step ie. like Ziggy. Both my dogs bounce through or skip through, but when they are really going fast then they single step. Susan Garrets argument (I think) is that with the one step, they get into a rhythm & are less likely to pull out. Another good hint with the weaves is to always imagine there is another two weaves at the end. I made the mistake on the weekend of pulling away too quick & she skipped the last pole. :(

Mindy was trained using the channel method. I throw her reward (usually a ball or toy) as she comes out of the last weave. she used to weave head down but now that she has more confidence and has started to try to go faster her head seems to be coming up?

Interesting. I don't have enough experience to comment on that - look forward to other opinions.

When Kaos is confident and going fast he single steps and head nice and low, when he is not so sure he will put the other foot down and a lot slower. He is a bigger sized Kelpie though (jumps 600).

Be interesting to know as well.

My boy single steps with his head held high, and my girl hops through with her head low. Both trained the same way and my boy is currently faster (and looks very pretty doing it too :p), will be interesting watching what my girl does when she gets more confidence and tries to go through quicker.

There is an article in May & Junes Clean Run Mag on teaching the channel method, & after reading that & watching some dogs that I know were taught that way, I think if I had my time again I would go with the channel method rather than 2 x 2. When taught properly it takes longer to train than 2 x 2 but the dogs I have seen have great speed & confidence. Just had an :idea: maybe in the off season I might try to retrain her completely. Cant do any harm.

ETA... These articles on teaching the channel method were written by Lee Windeatt....you have probably seen his video before, but if not here it is

Edited by sheena

I saw that video and started working on proofing Choppers weaves and it has done wonders for his entry and consistency

Ricki still needs support and you have to drive forward or she will pop , but she is a speed demon, once she got the idea, was like she was determined to do them as fast as she could :laugh:

1343042806[/url]' post='5907951']
1343042420[/url]' post='5907942']
1343040674[/url]' post='5907895']

That's horrible!

You're sooooo funny and i Think you should say that!

Edited by PAX

I watched one of your runs at the Nats with Chopper, thought you were both awesome, was too tired to remember what event.

Just need need to remember its about you and your dog, no one else matters.....lol, note to self.biggrin.gif

Edited by PAX