Hot Spot Help

Guest lavendergirl

Thanks for the tip - that looks like a good remedy. I might try it for itchy feet too - it may be a less expensive option than the medicated washes.

I have to confess that last time one of my dogs had a hot spot, I was nowhere near any of my usual lotions or potions (Preparation H is usually my treatment of choice) so I just used Isopropyl Alcohol (the same stuff I use to clean/dry ears after bathing).

It didn't seem to sting him or worry him at all. It stopped him from licking at it and making it worse. And most importantly, it dried and healed very quickly.

With big coats it is really important to dry completely to the skin after bathing, swimming etc. Zero tolerance on fleas and ticks so there is no irritation from bites.

Basically you need to avoid anything that causes them to scratch. The humidity and skin irritation prime breeding ground for the bacteria to flourish.

I have had far greater success with keeping a hotspot dry rather than adding any lotions or potions that are moist but there you go. Whatever works best for you.

I do what my dermatologist says, when my dog gets a hotspot 20% of my dogs back is affected. Thank dog he doesnt get them anymore

• 4 weeks later...

We had issues with our dog Digger over a period of time a while ago and No1 = only suffered in summer.

No 2 = our vet said it only took 1 flea to trigger

No 3= it flared after contact with wandering jew. This was only worked out after several months, in summer taking to work with me mowing lawns. We also had a very humid summer which did not help.

No 4 = if it was bad enough our vet would give a cortisone injection + tablets/antibiotics. The area would be shaved and he recommended applying Betadine a couple of times a day.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by AussieBorn&Bred

Hi ,,, my dog has suffered hot spots

Hot spots cause a great deal of concern for dog and owner, but this is what I have found out from vets and web based resources. Hot spots are often a skin allergy condition. They can be initiated by a flea, but they dont have to be. When a dogs auto immune system doesnt cope with an allergen its response is to inflame several prime areas over the dogs body. Namely the feet, the ears, and the rump.

My dog most likely gets activated by seasonal grasses, and as I run him on grass twice a day, its hard to avoid. Once you get it you can use alcohol to dry the area up, but it is most likely going to strip the natural oils and aggravate the area more. I have found that Omega 3 in the right doses, enough times per week, ongoing, has fixed the majority of my dogs problems. I use Maleseb medicated dog shampoo diluted on his paws when necessary as it is an anti fungal and anti bacterial specifically made for dogs. You can use other chemicals but you may not get the dosage right. Omege 3 is a preventer for itchy feet etc. Once the allergy has compromised their immunity and their feet and ears have been infected by fungal or bacteria, the hotspot is also likely to flair up.

That's what I have found anyway. Good luck.

Edited by DOGPERSON

Guest Augustine The Boxer

Augustine's trainer has reported that Coconut Oil has helped a rescue dog in her care. She said that it calmed the redness considerably.

You can read about coconut oil for topical uses on dogs here:

http://store.augustineapproved.com/coconut-oil-topical-for-canines-250ml

I've also heard from a friend at the dog park that pawpaw cream worked well on her dog.

Augustine's trainer has reported that Coconut Oil has helped a rescue dog in her care. She said that it calmed the redness considerably.

You can read about coconut oil for topical uses on dogs here:

http://store.augustineapproved.com/coconut-oil-topical-for-canines-250ml

I've also heard from a friend at the dog park that pawpaw cream worked well on her dog.

Paw paw cream on a true hot sport was a disaster for me- having put it on one before I realised what it was (thought it was a graze). I ended up having to wash the area with chlorhex to get the area clean again because the bacteria were having a party under the cream and it was getting bigger at a crazy rate.

Edited by Jumabaar

Just letting you know that the listerine yellow one, baby oil, and water in equal parts, did help my daughters dog with its hot spots.

I'm not suggesting that it will help all dogs, but it might be worth a try.