How Did You Choose Your Vet?

colliepaws

When we lost kovu our GSD they sent us a hand written card which was signed by the vet that had been treating him and the owner, we also got one when both my rats where PTS.

I know a card won't ever bring a pet back but I think it's such a lovely and kind hearted thing to do :)

My vet did the same when my 16 year old ridgyX was given his wings there. Michael(vet)signed it as did each of the vet nurses, all hand written.

Started going to my regular vet about 27 years ago just because they were local, and got very lucky. I have always found them wonderful with very caring staff. They listen to my views and choices and takes them on board...they may have been a little slow on the uptake of 3 year vaccs but were happy to get it in for me. I feel we work together.Their main surgeon has done an excellent job handling very difficult surgeries. All the staff seem to comunicate with each other about their patients, as they all seem to know what is going on with your pet at any given time. They have endlessly worked with me in helping with all my little dog's issues he has had over the years, saved his life, given us their mobile numbers when needed, been there for us when we have had to give our beloved pets their wings and even shed a tear too.

We get a Christmas card every year and get told to pop in any time even if it's just for a coffee and a chat....yep love my Vet :D

I started going to my local vet the very first day I moved here... the bloody dogs had a fight and one needed treatment. They were awesome from day one, and I recommend them to anyone who asks. My dogs only see the 2 vets that have known them since they were pups, because that is my preference and I have a great rapport with those particular 2 vets. The clinic is now owned by Greencross, but the staff are all the same caring and wonderful people we've gotten to know over the years. They also will do consults for my fosters for free if I need something.

My rescue fosters normally use Rossmore Vets - and they are awesome - all of the staff are brilliant with our rescue dogs, and the senior vets are amongst the best surgeons I've come across in general practice.

T.

I've been very lucky. We met ours when we both moved into the same street after building our first houses. He lived right across the road and would always help in an emergency. We have since move house in different directions but I've always gone back to his practice. Last year when I brought my new Aussie Shepherd puppy in for his check I was pleasantly surprised he knew all about the breed. :thumbsup:

What makes a great vet in my eyes is one that you can build a good relationship with and they are prepared to listen to you. Whilst a vet might be the "expert" so to speak, no one knows your dogs better than you do.

I agree! This is one of the reasons Ian is great! He's also what I call an old school vet - starts with the obvious and doesn't test for all and sundry - we call him SuperVet!

I reckon he must also know our breed better than any other vet in Sydney due to the number of them he now sees - and also knows a hell of a lot about skin conditions.

And the clinic is even more awesome as they support Dane rescue!

What I love about my local vet is that they get really excited if I bring them a sample to test for things they don't see very often... like coccidia...

The joys of having foster pups... lol!

... and the fact that my dogs, no matter how sick or injured they may be, go into raptures of delight as soon as they see their 2 fave vets... sometimes it's hard to explain that they weren't feeling very well at all when we left home... *grin*

T.

Recommended by Macs first foster parents when he first came out of the puppy farm and haven't looked back. :thumbsup: So I now take all my animals there I think its so good. I have tended to use the same vet at that practice for Macs chronic ear problems for continuity reasons, (a legacy of his puppy farm days). But there are two other vets there who I'm really happy to see too - all three I see are terrific. :thumbsup: And I've seen all of them for bits and pieces over the last 12 months. In fact my mother was so impressed with how the vet owner examined my littlest westie recently after he had a backyard accident, that she now drives across town to see him after being less than impressed with her last visit to her local vet which she had been using for years and thinks has gone downhill recently.

And the westies love going there too - for the treat of course!

Only one vet there I wont use - she's the youngest vet there and is a rude stuck-up blonde airhead, who isn't interested in anyone elses opinion but her own and is rude in the middle of the waiting room. She dressed me down once in public in the waiting room and I tell you she wont get another opportunity. Typical new grad. So she's the only one out of the whole practice I avoid.

Won't go anywhere else. :thumbsup:

Edited by westiemum

... and the fact that my dogs, no matter how sick or injured they may be, go into raptures of delight as soon as they see their 2 fave vets... sometimes it's hard to explain that they weren't feeling very well at all when we left home... *grin*

T.

We have this problem too. I remember taking Billie in at short notice and seeing a different vet who must have noted that she appeared happy and energetic. We were back the next day to see our regular vet who commented straight away that she wasn't as excited as usual so thought Billie had gone downhill from the day before...until she spoke with the other vet and realised that even a bad day for vet-loving Billie looks like a great day to a stranger.

What makes a great vet in my eyes is one that you can build a good relationship with and they are prepared to listen to you. Whilst a vet might be the "expert" so to speak, no one knows your dogs better than you do.

I agree! This is one of the reasons Ian is great! He's also what I call an old school vet - starts with the obvious and doesn't test for all and sundry - we call him SuperVet!

I reckon he must also know our breed better than any other vet in Sydney due to the number of them he now sees - and also knows a hell of a lot about skin conditions.

And the clinic is even more awesome as they support Dane rescue!

Totally agree. Ian is fantastic with dogs, he is one of the most honest people I have ever met and the best vet.

Before I started working for my vet, he came out to our property and treated my heifer calf that broke her leg, he was very gentle with her and won us over immediately.

After that another vet in the practice euthanised my old kelpie who went into heart failure at the age of 19. I was only 16 at the time and I was completely heartbroken. The vet talked my through our options and treated me like an adult about the whole situation, which was fantastic for me as she was entirely my little dog.

Another vet in the same practice helped me save my beloved Abby, my little mini pony who had a very bad accident at two days of age. He did everything for her and only charged me for materials as he couldn't guarantee it would work (she had very bad damage to her front leg). He spent a lot of time on her and constantly checked in with me on how she was going.

This sort of compassion is what I try to encourage clients to find. Once they find that clinic or even that vet that they click with, they generally find the right fit for them, they may need to try a few different vets, but they should find one that suits :)

Many thanks to everyone for the replies...I'll admit I'm more than a bit envious of those of you who have found fantastic vets that you love! 

It's reassuring to know that what you guys consider a good vet lines up with what I'm looking for - I was starting to think I must have ridiculously high standards but I'm now determined not to settle for a vet I'm not comfortable with or who dismisses things that I'm concerned about.

Also good to know that others also request a particular vet at multi vet clinics - I don't want to be disrespectful to the other vets but I feel there is something reassuring about a vet who 'knows' your pet..I love the stories of the vet loving dogs - that's what I want! My poor boy Luka has to be coaxed (okay and sometimes gently pushed!) in whining and carrying on...I'm happier that with my latest vet while he's not keen on being there he seems to be less anxious and the vet nurses/reception staff are always really nice to him which I think distracts him! :)

Also great to hear from those of you who travel a fair way for a good vet. The latest vet I'm going to is 45 minutes away and I wasn't sure if that was weird because there are certainly a lot of vets between me and them! But I was impressed at how they treated Luka when he had his knee op a few years ago but at the time I thought that maybe they were a bit far away to be my regular vet. However, being very disappointed with my previous vets treatment of us though I've decided that 45 minutes travel is well worth it for a good vet!

They seem to have really good staff and facilities so I'm hopeful that they will become my regular vet. I just really want to find a vet, like those of you who love your vets, who I feel I can trust not only to treat my pets well but also trust that they will give me the best advice in terms of their medical treatment..

Thanks again for the advice - if there are any recommendations people can make for great vets in metro SA I'd be happy to hear them (by PM if you prefer :) ).