Show Me Your Puppy Pens

WreckitWhippet

I know we've done whelping boxes but I'd like to see some puppy set ups. I've pulled my last one apart and want to start over and I'm after some good ideas

What do you have outdoors ?

What do you like about it,

What would you do differently if anything ?

Which breed?

I have greyhounds and have a 4 foot high fence making a reasonable size puppy yard with a large kennel in the middle of it. Pups were in there over night and had free run of the backyard during the day. This was for the litter last year and they were outside from 4 weeks of age, day and night, mainly cause I was so ill and was not capable of carrying them back inside. It was the depths of winter and they coped fine! Better then me. I was so ill I nearly rang a friend to take them for me.

Normally I would have had them inside overnight but it turned out fine.

One thing I would do different is to have two gates so you can enter or let the puppies out at the back of the run, without them running through poo in the morning. I find they tend to poo nearest the gate so a second one would be great.

I have a shed attached to a fully enclosed lockable run, with a kennel inside that for warmth. It would be better the have the shed nearer the house and the run at the back to encourage them to use the shed. The run is locked at night and if no one is home to stop anyone taking them. I line the run with wood shavings and change it weekly. It is so much easier to pick up wet and soiled patches with a pooper scooper, the puppies stay dry, clean, smell fresh and the flies stay away. I have done the newspaper thing and never again.

Because I only bred less than once a year or two I had temporary fence panels to make a bigger puppy yard (about a third of my suburban yard) off the run that they could run around in during the day when someone is home.

This set up worked well for Border Collies from 4 weeks in the day and 5 weeks at night.

My pups never sleep outside, regardless of age. We have them inside at night and if the weather is fit, they go out into a puppy pen with extra expens that get larger as they need it, but we often just turf them out in the yard to wander on their own. (no enclosure) When they appear to get tired, if they crash on the front step, we move them to the puppy pen with their kennel and bed and they have a snooze. Often at 4 weeks or later, they put themselves to bed during the day. This winter has been cold and they didn't get much outside time before 10am and were inside by 2pm. Last summer, the pups were out at 5am and stayed out til dusk quite happily. (they need to come in then, because the mozzies will eat them!)

My pups always sleep inside, I have an ex pen set up with a bed in it which they keep in once they are out of the whelping box.

During the day though once they are 4-5 weeks old they go outside in a NFS pen I have set up with a roof on it. They stay in this pen for a few weeks during the day then at around 6 weeks I open the pen door, so they have the pen plus an area of yard.

444ba185.jpg

I fence off part of the yard for the pups, it's hard to see I'm the pics. I use a solid pen I bought of eBay it's about 6 panels, one ith a door and you can peg down each panel. I use it as a fence.

0d12bbb8.jpg

In this pic ou can see the fence behind my boxer ith the door section is it.

4236e6a1.jpg

I like this setup because I can just remove the fence when I don't need it and it's very simple to set up and take down.