Questions, Questions - Lenses?

Lollipup

I've been having great fun with the camera :) I've started doing lots of reading on how to work it and it's got me thinking about lenses. I reckon in hindsight I would have been better off getting 18-105mm & 55-300mm kit rather than the 18-55mm & 55-300mm that I got, because the 18-105mm would give me a greater range without having to change lenses :o I didn't think of it that way at the time lol. Too late now but just wondering how do you figure out what lenses you need?

I don't want to end up with a hundred different lenses, just a few really good ones. So am I right to assume that I should use the kit ones and see what focal lengths I end up using the most, then use that to judge what type of lens I should aim for in the future?

As a side note: LOVE the 50mm prime :D I took some nice shots of a friend's dog and she went out and bought the same camera within the week! But she got a 30mm f1.4 sigma lens instead of the 50mm Nikkor and is now asking me how close did I have to stand when I took those pics of her dogs? Because she is having to stand closer. I guess the guy at the shop recommended that one to her because its good for portraits? I told her what I had when she ordered but the shop person told her 30mm would be better :confused: .

I found a site today and it has some great stuff and easy to understand, THIS explainers crop factors. There is lots of other stuff on there that is helpful. It's a lot to get your head around isn't it?!

I don't know about the 30mm but the guy in the shop told me similar although he said he had the 50mm and loved it. He has the same camera as you and tried to talk me into that which was my other choice, I nearly caved but stuck to my guns since I had made up my mind. :laugh:

I've been having great fun with the camera :) I've started doing lots of reading on how to work it and it's got me thinking about lenses. I reckon in hindsight I would have been better off getting 18-105mm & 55-300mm kit rather than the 18-55mm & 55-300mm that I got, because the 18-105mm would give me a greater range without having to change lenses :o I didn't think of it that way at the time lol. Too late now but just wondering how do you figure out what lenses you need?

I don't want to end up with a hundred different lenses, just a few really good ones. So am I right to assume that I should use the kit ones and see what focal lengths I end up using the most, then use that to judge what type of lens I should aim for in the future?

As a side note: LOVE the 50mm prime :D I took some nice shots of a friend's dog and she went out and bought the same camera within the week! But she got a 30mm f1.4 sigma lens instead of the 50mm Nikkor and is now asking me how close did I have to stand when I took those pics of her dogs? Because she is having to stand closer. I guess the guy at the shop recommended that one to her because its good for portraits? I told her what I had when she ordered but the shop person told her 30mm would be better :confused: .

Yes, I found the 18-55mm lens short on range for general doggy action type shots having the same kit with my old Nikon D80.........you would put the 55-300mm on then the dogs would be getting in to close and vice versa with the shorter lense. I bought a D7000 late last year with the 18-105mm and found it heaps better in range almost perfect for the distance that my dogs will zoom around.......if the 18-55mm is annoying, you would love the 18-105mm :)

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is actually an outstanding portrait lens but it is not necessarily an easy portrait lens.

It is also simply a fabulous lens that IS easy to use for a whole range of other things. I adore mine, though it doesn't get as much use as it should.

The 50mm is "easier" as it seems to be about right where most folks who pick up a camera feel comfortable. Gives you a bit of distance from your subject, but not too much. The 30mm is just enough different that, for some, it feels a bit odd at first - even to those who haven't used either before. I don't use my 50mm much either, really LOL

As for how to choose a new lens, I think you're on the right track. Use what you have until they won't give you what you need anymore - then you will have identified not only your preferred focal ranges but also what it is that is missing from your current lens. Then you can shop effectively.

Once you reach the limits of your current lenses and add a new one, work with that until you are totally comfortable with it and then consider adding a lens outside of your comfort zone. This will expand your options and help you think and see in new ways.

Wait it out, practice, get better - then you will know what you want :)

I am a professional - I shoot weddings and portraits, I have 3 prime lenses and I really don't need anything else (as much as I would like to). I have a 24mm, a 50mm and a 105mm - covers all the bases for me :) I only had the 50mm for about the first 12 months. It teaches you more about getting it right in-camera, IMO. Next time I buy a lens, it will be to upgrade to the 50mm 1.4.

I prefer primes, but I am so used to zooming in and out with my feet. Other people hate them. Practice, practice, practice and it will become clear what you need.

Edited by huga

Yes, I found the 18-55mm lens short on range for general doggy action type shots having the same kit with my old Nikon D80.........you would put the 55-300mm on then the dogs would be getting in to close and vice versa with the shorter lense. I bought a D7000 late last year with the 18-105mm and found it heaps better in range almost perfect for the distance that my dogs will zoom around.......if the 18-55mm is annoying, you would love the 18-105mm :)

Yeah I am kicking myself. I just had it in my head that that was the kit I wanted because it was the kit on the original camera I looked at which had a good deal going, so I had it in my head. And I was thinking between the 2 of them I'll have a really good starting range, which is true except for having to change them in between lol

Wait it out, practice, get better - then you will know what you want :)

Thanks Huga, that's the plan. I know that's the most sensible thing to do and I don't want to make it complicated and end up with a heap of lenses I don't need, can't help eying off a few I like the look of though :) Besides the 18-105, I like the idea of the Sigma 17-70 too. But no. NO NO NO! :laugh:

I am doing one of those short courses through the TAFE in Spetember and in the meantime reading Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies - so much info!

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is actually an outstanding portrait lens but it is not necessarily an easy portrait lens.

It is also simply a fabulous lens that IS easy to use for a whole range of other things. I adore mine, though it doesn't get as much use as it should.

The 50mm is "easier" as it seems to be about right where most folks who pick up a camera feel comfortable. Gives you a bit of distance from your subject, but not too much. The 30mm is just enough different that, for some, it feels a bit odd at first - even to those who haven't used either before. I don't use my 50mm much either, really LOL

As for how to choose a new lens, I think you're on the right track. Use what you have until they won't give you what you need anymore - then you will have identified not only your preferred focal ranges but also what it is that is missing from your current lens. Then you can shop effectively.

Once you reach the limits of your current lenses and add a new one, work with that until you are totally comfortable with it and then consider adding a lens outside of your comfort zone. This will expand your options and help you think and see in new ways.

Thanks Kja.

So, should I work with one lens at a time for a while until I am really comfortable with it, or give them all a go? Of course the 50 is my favourite :)

Also I am really worried when changing lenses that stuff will get inside while its all open. Should I be avoiding changing them when outdoors? Or do you just have to be careful?

I found a site today and it has some great stuff and easy to understand, THIS explainers crop factors. There is lots of other stuff on there that is helpful. It's a lot to get your head around isn't it?!

YES - a LOT to get my head around!

I can only speak from my experience but I'm really glad I had just my kit lenses and then the 50mm 1.8 for a while as it really did help me work out what focal lengths suit me best and meant I didn't waste my money when I upgraded and bought the more expensive lenses.

The shorter the focal length of a lens the closer you need to be to something for it to fill up the same amount of space in your frame. So if you, tlc and I were all lined up next to each other photographing the same dog and you had a 70mm lens, tlc had a 50mm lens and I had a 30mm lens the dog would appear smaller in tlc's frame than yours and smaller again in mine, meaning tlc would have to get closer to the dog to get the same picture as you and I would have to get even closer than tlc to get the same picture. I don't know who is teaching the people in these camera stores but 30mm is not a good portrait lens, at least not in my opinion. It would be good for group portraits where you're standing back a bit but not individual ones as you have to get too close to the person and the image will distort. Here's an example of what I mean. This is a photo I took of Justice at 29mm focal length using my 24-70mm lens - it's been cropped a fair bit so he actually didn't fill up this much of the frame when I took it as it was originally shot in landscape format, it that gives you an idea of how much was cropped off to get this image. I couldn't actually get close enough to him to fill the whole frame in portrait format because the lens wouldn't focus that close to him.

7392329950_f93663493a.jpg

If I was your friend I'd be taking that 30mm back to the shop and exchanging it for a lens with a longer focal length if she's wanting to take dog portraits.

Thanks Snook :) I like that photo. You will have to share how you get all yours looking so awesome

Do whatever makes you happy. Use one lens or both - doesn't really matter coz you'll be learning whichever way you go. I like to use one lens for a while (I still do this) exclusively and see what I can learn, explore, experiment with and achieve. I don't have the attention span to do this until everything is perfect so I switch lenses once my interest in the project starts to wane. Personally, I'd choose one lens an outing/day/week/insert length of time here.

There's no right or wrong - just get out there and shoot, review, reshoot, review etc.

The 50 is a great focal length but you can get a bit tied to it and become very repetitive (this goes for any "favourite"), so since you have the flexibility get out there and work at different focal lengths - see how the scene/subject is different when you stand in one place. Shoot it at 50mm first and then wide and then long etc.

#1 way to improve is to look at your shots on the computer (forget the stupid back screen for serious reviewing) and be critical. Toss the crap (helpful starting place that SO MANY people seem to blow off - if it is not in focus, it is CRAP* throw it out!!). Look at the non-crap and identify what works for you and what doesn't. Figure out how to improve the shot. Go do it - review - repeat.

as for changing lenses outside, just be aware of your surroundings and be careful. I change lenses whenever I need to and just don't worry about it. I've done it in a sandstorm, I do it at the beach near the spray of the ocean, I've done it on the back of a horse - I'm going to take all the care I can & really try to protect the open body/lens, but I'm not going to stress about things like that. My gear will survive.

*usual disclaimer that there are times when OOF shots work blah blah blah but they are pretty rare, imho

Do whatever makes you happy. Use one lens or both - doesn't really matter coz you'll be learning whichever way you go. I like to use one lens for a while (I still do this) exclusively and see what I can learn, explore, experiment with and achieve. I don't have the attention span to do this until everything is perfect so I switch lenses once my interest in the project starts to wane. Personally, I'd choose one lens an outing/day/week/insert length of time here.

There's no right or wrong - just get out there and shoot, review, reshoot, review etc.

The 50 is a great focal length but you can get a bit tied to it and become very repetitive (this goes for any "favourite"), so since you have the flexibility get out there and work at different focal lengths - see how the scene/subject is different when you stand in one place. Shoot it at 50mm first and then wide and then long etc.

#1 way to improve is to look at your shots on the computer (forget the stupid back screen for serious reviewing) and be critical. Toss the crap (helpful starting place that SO MANY people seem to blow off - if it is not in focus, it is CRAP* throw it out!!). Look at the non-crap and identify what works for you and what doesn't. Figure out how to improve the shot. Go do it - review - repeat.

as for changing lenses outside, just be aware of your surroundings and be careful. I change lenses whenever I need to and just don't worry about it. I've done it in a sandstorm, I do it at the beach near the spray of the ocean, I've done it on the back of a horse - I'm going to take all the care I can & really try to protect the open body/lens, but I'm not going to stress about things like that. My gear will survive.

*usual disclaimer that there are times when OOF shots work blah blah blah but they are pretty rare, imho

Yay! I'm doing something right, been doing the reviewing on the computer with LOTs of deleting. It takes up a lot of time but really helps me see where I'm going wrong, what could have been better etc.

I've had to change lenses at the horse paddock and at the beach too (while holding two dogs' on lead too) and was a bit worried but I guess you can always clean it if anything gets in, I'm as careful as I can be.

don;t worry about changing lenses - nothing to fear. the only thing I picked up to do is make sure you turn the camera off first, as otherwise the static charge will cause particles to be attracted inside to the sensor - turn it off and the static charge is not there

Agree to use the lenses first and work out what you want, then buy it - agree with Huga that I prefer primes, have a 50mm, 85mm and 105mm and they are my main workhorses for everything. Do have a 16-35 fixed width in case I need to go wider, but rarely need to. My 50mm 1.4 and foot zooming would be my main lens of choice