Photojournalism

tlc

Hi everyone, a few members have expresssed an interst in a photojournalism thread, I think it was Kirislin who first mentioned it in the photo finish thread so I thought I'd make it's very own thread for the interested parties. It's something I've always been interested in. I've never really gone out and had a serious go at this type of photography.

For anyone who wants to read exactly what photojournalism is there is an explaination Here from Wiki and Here from another source

Typically PJ photography isn't edited or photoshopped and its as shot but I think for the purpose of this thread we don't have to be that pedantic and can use photojournalism style photography, for example Huga shoots in PJ wedding style and other stuff so of course her images are going to be edited, as long as your picture tells a story it's valid.

I can't wait till people post in this thread and see what they come up with, if anyone wants to add anything I've missed please do, I'm am definatley no expert on this particular style of photography but I am certainly in awe of it a lot of the time!

So get posting!

Edited by tlc

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping someone would have posted in here by now, keen aren't I. :laugh:

Ill have a go, Not sure if these are classed as PJ style of photography, but Ill post them up anyway.

519d2733.jpg

0a05c799.jpg

de794bc5.jpg

well I dont know if this classifies as photojournalism but I thought I'd put it up cause as tlc said, it tells a story. this dog had it's first run at the whippet race track, and was the goofiest most unco-ordinated dog I think I've ever seen, but it had the proudest most excited little owners. He was a champion in their eyes.

7703315334_147d2c4cdf.jpg

IMG_1762 by kirislin, on Flickr

Fantastic Huga, all of them, did you have the whole Bowling alley to yourself? I would have loved that, ours was packed and it was so hard to get a good shot!

Kirislin, I love them ones I think they fit the PJ category perfectly, that mans face evokes such sadness and empathy in me!

Thanks :D it's funny you know, I dont know that man but I've seen him a few times since in Coles or just in the main street, and I have to stop myself from going up and saying hello, like he's a friend, because his face is so familiar to me now. :laugh:

A couple more from me, more bowling ones.

8fd50030.jpg

This one was my Bosses Boyfriend, I was really drawn to take his picture but was to shy to ask him if he minded and I didn't want to just snap away, so I got this one in quick while he wasn't looking, :laugh: Tired after a hard days work.

22b7d026.jpg

I did a funny experiment a couple of weeks ago. I put the wide angle lens on and just hung my camera around my neck so it was at waist level. I walked along and just pushed the button as I passed people. I think a few got sus of me though, and none of the photos really worked anyway. :laugh:

I did a funny experiment a couple of weeks ago. I put the wide angle lens on and just hung my camera around my neck so it was at waist level. I walked along and just pushed the button as I passed people. I think a few got sus of me though, and none of the photos really worked anyway. :laugh:

Ive done this exact thing too and usually the pics are all awful. :laugh:

Yes that's exactly what I got from looking at those pictures, do you think he knew you were taking the shots?

Ummmmmmmmmmmm huga, is that bridesmaid wearing gumboots? :laugh: now there's a story!

I had to have a second look, I thought she had red Dorothy shoes on and colourful socks, :laugh: but the photo under that one, it looks like there was 4 photographers in the room plus Huga so thats 5, why would you need that many or were some family, they all looked professional. :laugh: and the bride looked like she was on her phone. :rofl: Great shot though!

Ive done this exact thing too and usually the pics are all awful. :laugh:

Yes that's exactly what I got from looking at those pictures, do you think he knew you were taking the shots?

Yes, I think I must have looked very suspicious, cause I was trying to look so innocent. :laugh:

Ummmmmmmmmmmm huga, is that bridesmaid wearing gumboots? :laugh: now there's a story!

That would be the lovely Pheebs, who is the bride and yes, she is wearing gumboots :D

I had to have a second look, I thought she had red Dorothy shoes on and colourful socks, :laugh: but the photo under that one, it looks like there was 4 photographers in the room plus Huga so thats 5, why would you need that many or were some family, they all looked professional. :laugh: and the bride looked like she was on her phone. :rofl: Great shot though!

Two videographers, three photographers (including me) and yes, she was on her phone. It was a moment that totally captures how crazy some weddings can get, that's why I took it :)