Photojournalism

tlc

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some excellent shots in here! :)

I don't know if these count as photojournalism or not, but they do sort of tell a story.

My mother wasn't well enough to go to our local book fair this year, so I took some shots to show her what she missed. ( all iphone pics)

8076780785_8985fe386d_z.jpg

366 Days 285 Book Fair by nzalis99, on Flickr

8085713050_5530c5c126_z.jpg

Book Fair 02 by nzalis99, on Flickr

8085713912_a7a1235a29_z.jpg

Book Fair 03 by nzalis99, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Love the book fair shots, I think they fit the bill.

I went to the gardens yesterday to practice on flowers with my Macro lens and I snapped a few random shots.

file-128.jpg

file-133.jpg

file-134.jpg

Thought this one as cute, obviously father and daughter. :laugh:

file-132.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much traffic in here but I just thought for anyone who pops in here might be interested in a series thats airing, not sure if its on cable or regular tv but its ep 1 is up on ezy tv today. Its called Witness and it is about photojournalists, It sounds really good, its 4 parts only 30 mins each.

A short run down of each episode.

Photojournalists head into combat zones to document atrocities.

Drug trafficking, poverty, gang violence, corruption and ethnic warfare have created some of the most dangerous hot spots on Earth. Witness follows our current generation of photojournalists into these conflict zones in Mexico, Libya, Brazil and South Sudan. In the four-part series, war photographers carry us into the heart of the human drama of the people in the action on the ground. We see what compels the photojournalist and experience why, when everyone else seeks cover, the photojournalist stands and moves closer.

A Blue Light Media/Little Puppet Production. Executive producers are Michael Mann and David Frankham. It features photojournalists Eros Hoagland, Michael Christopher Brown and Veronique de Viguerie. Cinematographer is Jared Moosey and composer is Antonio Pinto. An HBO Documentary Films presentation.

1x01 -- Witness: Juarez -- Pro journalist Eros Hoagland has worked in conflict zones in Iraq, Afghanistan and Haiti, but his focus, here, is Juarez, Mexico, the murder capital of the world. Drug violence in Juarez has left over 10,000 dead, and the drugs are still flowing north. Eros began work as a photojournalist in 1993, covering the aftermath of El Salvador's civil war. He has since worked in Iraq, Haiti, Afghanistan and Columbia. His father, Newsweek photographer John Hoagland, was killed in El Salvador when Eros was a boy. Eros looks for an emotional narrative within the subjects. In a grim locale a man is shot in his car and dies. It is Hoagland's capture of the incongruity of the quietness of death and the waiting of the police that conveys the absurdity of accident and the deepest of feelings. Eros' search is always for the emotional narrative. Directed by David Frankham; produced by Ike Martin, Alison Kunzman and Youree Henley.

Source: http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/witness-juarez/

1x02 -- Witness: Libya -- Michael Christopher Brown has been to Libya five times during the conflicts that brought down Gaddafi's rule. Now, the revolution is over, but the chaos has only begun; the current situation in Libya is even more complicated. Internecine fighting continues, not unexpectedly. After 42 years of Gaddafi and no democratic tradition, Libya was not going to magically turn into Connecticut. On an earlier trip, in April 2011, Brown was in Misrata with veteran photojournalists Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros. He remembers having an uneasy feeling, saying, "The city was like a shooting gallery that day." Then a mortar round struck nearby, Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros were killed, and Brown was wounded. In WITNESS: LIBYA, Brown is in the extreme moments of present-day chaos and reliving the loss of his friends and mentors. Directed by Abdallah Omeish; produced by Julie Herrin and Josiah Hooper.

Source: http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/witness-libya/

1x03 -- Witness: South Sudan -- In South Sudan, thousands have been killed, abducted or displaced by Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army. French photojournalist Veronique de Viguerie travels with the Arrow Boys, an unpaid militia of farmers who took up arms to protect their families from the LRA. For the last two decades, Joseph Kony has led a campaign of unfathomable brutality in an attempt to impose his command as the law of the land. His forces have kidnapped and forced into sexual or military slavery an estimated 60,000 children and driven two million of Uganda's people from their homes. The pregnant de Viguerie treks through wilderness with the Arrow Boys, as well as with the Ugandan Army. On a night patrol she is asked if she ever gets scared. She replies, "Sometimes...but here there is no time." Directed by David Frankham; produced by Julie Herrin and Josiah Hooper.

Source: http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/witness-south-sudan/

1x04 -- Witness: Rio -- Though Rio de Janeiro will host the Summer Olympics in 2016, the city currently remains crippled by a war raging between police and powerful drug gangs. Over 2,000 Brazilian military have taken to the streets in a largest offensive in decades. They are taking on the Red Command and Amigos de Amigos, two powerful gangs, in an attempt to regain control of the city's hilltop favelas before the world's eyes focus on Brazil as it hosts the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics. The powerful drug gangs have fought back with a series of urban terror attacks on cars, buses and police stations. Several journalists have been murdered. Photographer Eros Hoagland is one of only a few willing to venture into the dangerous favelas like Mangueira, which overlooks the Olympic stadium. Mysteries are revealed: In some areas of "pacification," Red Command have been warned in advance and have already left for more remote parts. Rio's murder rate is said to be falling, yet missing persons cases are dramatically on the rise. "Is this 'social cleansing'?," Hoagland asks. "Where are the bodies?" As he journeys deeper into the dangerous streets he finds some of the answers - disturbing images of bodies in alleys, buried in wells or burned beyond recognition.

I will report back after I've watched the first one but it sounds really good. :)

Oooh, popping into this thread for the first time! Photojournalism facinates me! Do you think any of these really count? (from my trip to Thailand in May :))

7278858378_03a57d12de_z.jpg

brother by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7278886264_e5f6015461_z.jpg

game on! by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7278925406_0a00af0603_z.jpg

mum by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7278806088_5fcd745cf9_z.jpg

strangers by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7278776350_533de423a1_z.jpg

pancake man by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7278809050_40dc9449f3_z.jpg

street cat by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

And a couple from the Royal...

7985449890_f98bf39055_z.jpg

CHOOK. by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7985435083_dec3497440_z.jpg

Hannah meets her new friend. by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7985441537_a50396971b_z.jpg

DUCK! by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

7985429635_665a354ab5_z.jpg

prize winning. by Tay Stiles., on Flickr

Ah, sorry for the overshare! :o

Thanks :D it's funny you know, I dont know that man but I've seen him a few times since in Coles or just in the main street, and I have to stop myself from going up and saying hello, like he's a friend, because his face is so familiar to me now. :laugh:

I reckon he would just love it, K.

Such impressive photographers - all of you.

Love the book fair shots, I think they fit the bill.

I went to the gardens yesterday to practice on flowers with my Macro lens and I snapped a few random shots.

file-128.jpg

file-133.jpg

file-134.jpg

Thought this one as cute, obviously father and daughter. :laugh:

file-132.jpg

tic can I ask where these gardens are? Looks so nice I would like to go there next time I'm in warny. (assuming they are in Warnanbool that is?) and are dogs allowed?

These are the botanic gardens, they are lovely gardens but no dogs allowed, I don't go there often for this reason, although not long ago I seen a lady with an off leash Stafford running through the gardens (the dog was running not the lady) obviously she didn't see the signs. :laugh: I think even if dogs were allowed I wouldn't take my lot as there is a huge big water hole with lots of ducks.

42 years ago I stood on this same bridge with my mum feeding the ducks. :) Fond memories! I was very sneaky taking that photo, I think the man was onto me. :laugh: Its very hard to be discreet with a big thumper of a camera and a big lens on the front of it. I imagine it would be even harder with the white L lenses they would stand out like a sore toe! :laugh: