Council Registration Laws

G.S.P.S/K

Whitehorse council have mandatory reg at 3 months and desexing at 6months. I got into an argument with one of the staff when I tried to register my then three month old puppy as entire...she said he had to be desexed, I said according to your rules he doesn't yet.... it went on for a while until another staff member there corrected her!!! Thankfully his papers came through before he was 6 months.

I also wrote them a nice long letter containing several papers showing the health problems associated with premature desexing and now have noted that they have a little clause below saying that exemptions will be allowed on veterinary advice.

Yep BCC have policy in place for dog club members either Dogz QLD or affilates(obedience clubs etc) if you show your paperwork you not only recieve a discount but do not have to register until 6 months of age.

New rules means all dogs must be microchipped at point of sale (isn't happening in a lot of cases), so my guess is eventually these microchipped dogs will all be on a central register and cross checking can then be done to follow up on those not registered :thumbsup:

Certain dogs are exempt from paying registration fee but are still registered in event of loss etc (Guide dogs/Approved service dogs from government accredited organisations).

Interestingly in the past 27years we have had one only council street check (door knock) to check dogs registration and at time I did not own a dog, must have been previous home owner!!! Local council do not have staff to check up on dangerous dog situations, enforce other blatant law disregard such as hundreds of people who ignore their dogs 'doo' on the main walking paths, catch all the non lead walkers etc. And our council has privately contracted out the management of the two former dog pounds to the "Lost dog home" organisation, so we cannot even go to the local facility to register dogs/cats, it can be done online but if you have to show paperwork etc then you must go to a BCC office. They want all the cash but do very little for it to protect the pets belonging to responsible owners.

Just wanted to know what people think about this and at what age most people's local councils expect dogs to be desexed? My council specifies that a dog must be regeistered and desexed by 3 months old. Most vets recommenend desexing at around 6 months old. I havent yet registered my pup becasue he's not desexed. Only problem is my council have been advertising that they will be conducting a door-knock over the next 2 months to check up on unregistered animals...and you could face fines...

If most vets recommend desexing at 6 months why do councils have this rule? I just hope they dont come to my house prior to my pup's desexing which incidently is booked in and only a couple of weeks away...

Councils have the rule because it is based on what is animal welfares "best for all"

not "best for the individual animal".

Your avatar description says you're in south east, so I assume you are casey or frankston ...

you can get an exemption from council min age desex regs if you have a letter from your veterinarian.

PM me for more info.

What i think? I think Vic is led by imbeciles.

Where I am you can desex when ever and if ever you want ,and micro chipped it's then free registration for life.

Where are you?

Pet registrations generally fund local laws. I don't know any where it's free - apart from remote shires that have no animal management set up yet.

Cooloola shire, all rate payers fund local animal management laws whether dog owner or not.

entires are 80, desexed is 20, and desexed and microchipped is free.

That would never happen in Vic - look at all the money that would be lost - they love ripping dog owners off.

We live in the Glen Eira precinct and I registered my new pup at 3 months and I have until next due registration to take advantage of the re3duced fee for desexed dogs. I don't imagine that councils would expect dog owners to have their pups desexed at such a young age. Other than that, could you get your vet to write a few words on their letterhead to say that you will be desexing your pup within the next few months and perhaps tell them when this will be done.

Yep BCC have policy in place for dog club members either Dogz QLD or affilates(obedience clubs etc) if you show your paperwork you not only recieve a discount but do not have to register until 6 months of age.

I thought it was now QLD state law that you need to register by 3 mths??

Sally

The city Im in is Kingston. I've looked up some other councils and note that Franskton has the same rules. City of Monash however (which is where our vet is) doesnt require desexing by 3 months nor do plenty of other councils I looked up. I will get vet to write a letter- if it comes down to that. So far the council hasn't come knocking.

Just out of interest- what specifically are the growth/health issues some of you are referring to when you say early desexing is bad for large and giant breeds?