Putting Together Puppy Folders

ruthjones

Hi all,

We are putting together our puppy folders for our puppies new homes, if anyone doesn't mind sharing ideas of what to include info wise, it would be great,

I know I need,

Diet sheet

Training tips

Toilet training info

What not to feed puppy (after finding out some people put the fruit such as apples etc into food processor for dogs, figure specify apple seeds aren't safe as the seeds would be exposed by the processing)

Parents Regio papers and DNA test results for diseases

Worming and vaccination details

Safe travel information

Photos of puppy birth to 8 weeks

If anyone wants to pm me any of their info sheets as well it would be great!

Ruth

I had a great puppy pack from my vet that he gives his breeders when they get their 6 week vaccination and microchip. There was a great little book in the pack about how to look after your puppy. It was an excellent little book. (The pack was from a worming company). Proplan make them too.

Other things that I included in my folder were grooming tips (double coated breed) and a list of essentials to get for the puppy - like collar and lead, bedding etc. I also put in some breed specific information.

You sound like you have a pretty good one there - I put my paperwork into one of the folders with the plastic sleeves approx $2 - my vet also supplies a pet passport for all information to be added to as the pup grows up. I have also included a disc at times when time does permit with photos of the pups from birth till he or she goes to the new home. All the other things you mention as well - information on feeding, and all general things - usually get an advance puppy sample bag as well for each pup but for the ones flying can't send them that. Give them a toy and towel or similar with the litter scent on it.

One thing I do which seems to be quite enjoyed by the new owner is to do a photo family tree - I start with a photo of the pup under photos of mum and dad and under the four grand parents - I do it on publisher and then laminate it - if you have publisher I am happy to send you the format - contact me on messages if you like.

Also include a thank you for choosing one of my puppy's letter and state that if for whatever reason unable to keep their pup to please contact me to help find a new home.

Include in the notes safety issues, and in bold red not to take their pup anywhere other dogs could have been till fully immunised.

It takes a bit of time but nice for the pup to have all this when they go to their new owners.

Ok, should have added more info to my post, each puppy also has the 6 weeks pet plan insurance, new puppy toy, (from their puppy pen) a specially made blanket that has been with the pups and mum,

Am also putting together a duplicate of records for their vet, I.e. copies of parents paperwork and DNA disease testing, worming and vaccination details etc, my contact deities for the vet to have on record etc. also have sample packs from royal canin and advance for each puppy.

Jr_inoz, do you remember which worming company the pack was from? Would love to see if I could get one for my puppies to take with them!

Mini girl, pm'd you!

Some of this information is also sent via email to puppy buyers before they pick up pup, including:-

Not to toilet puppy on the ground on the drive home, use newspaper and do not let pup walk on ground

Puppies must leave in an appropriate travel crate etc, it is not safe for a puppy not to be restrained in the car

If they arrive in time pups will also come with a collar from here with our prefix tag with my mobile number on it, if they have a collar with tag with them, (that fits, I think many are amazed how small the puppies are!) they can put that on here straight away, otherwise at least the puppy will have a collar and contact number on until they get one

A suggestion that they consider attaching a bell at first, puppies can be very quiet (at times) and you don't want to step on them accidentally!

Am thinking of adding info of good websites ( such as DOL!) as well?

Ruth

The pain of the upcoming goodbyes is only slightly alleviated by knowing they have fantastic homes. We have one boy left to find a home, have refused a fair number that just didn't feel right to me.

My keeper girl, she stole my heart from day one

a9cb9e94.jpg

Ours have all these things plus a contract which outlines things such as desexing requirements, price ect. 1 copy for them and 1 copy for us.

Breed Standard and extension.

Info on known/common diseases.

State Govt Regulations pertaining to the Private Keeping of Dogs.

Puglvr

Our contract is the adoption offer that we issue, we do not even accept a deposit until that is signed and returned, and that has the desexng and minimum care standard on it (I.e. food, shelter vet care etc)

I keep the original and a photocopy will go in the owners folders

Jr in oz

Thanks for that, will look it all up and see if I can find where to get them from

Thanks

Ruth

I did a little write up on each pup - things like when they opened their eyes, how much they weighed when born, and a little speal about their personality.

i also did a write up on the parents with photos, and a 5 generation pedigree.

Copy of a contract for them to read through and sign, membership form for our club, and membership form and a speal about joining DogsWest.

I fed combo raw so included the puppy glop recipe I'd been using.

Crate training information

toilet training information

I copy ALL the photos and some videos of the buyers pup onto a CD.

My last litter I brought 5 meters of a dog printed fleece from spot light, which I cut up. I put the pieces with the pups a few days before they left me so it had familiar smellls for their first night away. Also gave each pup a toy which they had been been playing with. :thumbsup:

buddy1

our pups come with litter blankets, specially made fleece blankets, double sided, embroidered with our prefix and our litter name (in this case, it is our Destiny litter) they also have a couple of toys, these items are kept with the pups for a couple of weeks to absorb smells and then distributed when pup leaves us. Families also send in a piece of clothing etc from their house with their family smells on it, their puppy is handled with that clothing as much as possible in the last couple weeks, therefore they are already acquainted with the smells of their new family (it goes back home with puppy)

we also provide a pet tag with our prefix and my mobile number on it, gives a bit extra protection whilst awaiting their own tags to get made etc

pups come with puppy packs from advance and royal canin (we feed a combination of foods) and petplan insurance for the first 6 weeks.

all microchip records are supplied, including the transfer form, they just need to fill itin and send it, includes a id tag that matches the record in the database

Have started putting folders together, which is drawing a few heart strings to tug at us!

am considering whether to include their next dose of wormer (i.e. 10 weeks dose) not sure though as they should have had a vet check up on arrival anyway though!

Ruth

our pups come with litter blankets, specially made fleece blankets, double sided, embroidered with our prefix and our litter name (in this case, it is our Destiny litter)

am considering whether to include their next dose of wormer (i.e. 10 weeks dose) not sure though as they should have had a vet check up on arrival anyway though!

Ruth

I love this idea :thumbsup: This is when I wish I had sewing skills :D

I use to give first worming tablet but no longer do. I think most people like to choose there own brand.

our pups come with litter blankets, specially made fleece blankets, double sided, embroidered with our prefix and our litter name (in this case, it is our Destiny litter)

Ruth

I love this idea :thumbsup: This is when I wish I had sewing skills :D

I use to give first worming tablet but no longer do. I think most people like to choose there own brand.

This is one of the reasons I bought an embroidery machine and you only need basic sewing skills to make up a simple blanket. I am making my next litter their own little blankies too, it's been 2 years since my last one.

RJ - Sounds like you have pretty much everything covered, great puppy pack with heaps of information and personal goodies - the new owners have to be happy with that. :thumbsup: .

buddy1 - A friend is making mine, (Jana Berg)

Andisa - I hope I have everything they need, want to make sre the puppies go as equipped as possible so everything starts off as well as possible

appreciate all the feedback everyone!

Ruth