Watch This

W Sibs

Several years ago when I was a volunteer at DAS (Canberra Pound) a pitbull boy came in who wasn't far removed from the wonder dog in that clip. He was an extraordinary chap and could climb and leap over anything. Gorgeous dog, but way too smart for his own good. He wasn't reclaimed and would not have been a good rehoming prospect because he was such an escape artist, managing to extricate himself from his enclosure several times at night by climbing about eight or nine feet up the wire and into the roof cavity, then forcing his way out, dropping about 8 feet omnto concrete and into the exercise yard where he would be found each morning. Sadly, he was put down. But what a dog. At least the dog in the clip has his energy and intelligence channelled constructively. (I assume!)

Several years ago when I was a volunteer at DAS (Canberra Pound) a pitbull boy came in who wasn't far removed from the wonder dog in that clip. He was an extraordinary chap and could climb and leap over anything. Gorgeous dog, but way too smart for his own good. He wasn't reclaimed and would not have been a good rehoming prospect because he was such an escape artist, managing to extricate himself from his enclosure several times at night by climbing about eight or nine feet up the wire and into the roof cavity, then forcing his way out, dropping about 8 feet omnto concrete and into the exercise yard where he would be found each morning. Sadly, he was put down. But what a dog. At least the dog in the clip has his energy and intelligence channelled constructively. (I assume!)

That's tragic, surely he could have been homed with someone willing to accept him as a house dog or have a run with a roof so that he would not have been able to escape ???? What a waste of a good dog

Edited by Perfumed Lillium

That's tragic, surely he could have been homed with someone willing to accept him as a house dog or have a run with a roof so that he would not have been able to escape ???? What a waste of a good dog

I know I wouldn't adopt a dog that would go to those measures to escape for it's own safety and the safety of others. I know a pound dog that kept escaping her enclosure and was found on the pound roof by staff one morning with a huge gash on her leg.She was also PTS.

If only! But with a track record like that, no one wanted him. Plenty of other nice dogs who are not escape artists also get put down every week all round the country.

Lol this has been posted 3 times now!! :laugh:

:laugh: but it's so amazing that you have to watch it at least 3 times :p

when i was watching it, i was like, thank god he isn't my dog, there is no fence high enough for that guy.

But i love watching a dog doing amazing stuff :)

Haha that dog reminds me so much of Jarrah! Someday I think I might have to go change her microchip details to pit bull x panther.

Yeah, you can't leave them in the backyard, there is no fencing in existence adequate to the task of containing a Parkour oriented dog. But once you get over the idea you could ever leave them unattended in the backyard, they're good house dogs.

If only! But with a track record like that, no one wanted him. Plenty of other nice dogs who are not escape artists also get put down every week all round the country.

It's a damn sad world, the thought that so many perfectly good natured dogs are destroyed every week really depresses me, animals....especially dogs are treated as a disposable commodity and that is sooo unfortunate, some people have no conscience :(

It's a damn sad world, the thought that so many perfectly good natured dogs are destroyed every week really depresses me, animals....especially dogs are treated as a disposable commodity and that is sooo unfortunate, some people have no conscience :(

Perfumed Lillium

Most if not all of us on this forum share your sentiments and feel how you do...anger at a world that treats dogs and/other animals as a commodity; nothing more.

All of us I'd say. My physio has the dearest little Chi sleeping in the sun in her office. It was one of 6 that the owner decided they didn't want anymore and abandoned. Honestly, the mind boggles. Such a sweet little dog, and so easy to keep - little food, little outing maybe, a spot in the sun and bit of chin scratching appreciated. What chance does an athletic dog that needs 2 or more hours of high intensity exercise every day have if even a dog like that Chi gets dumped.

Speaking of which I need to walk my Parkour dog, she's sighing at me. I walk her at an old quarry and I encourage her to negotiate the toughest terrain because that tires her out more so I wont have to play fetch in the afternoon. It's really quite amazing to watch her negotiate a sheer sandstone wall, an leap huge logs, she's like a cat, if a cat were a muscular juggernaut. Although we've actually toned down the intensity this last few weeks - we're both recovering from back injuries.

Rewarding dogs to own, but really, really high maintenance. I do think it's better that if a home can't be found for the dog that can provide the exercise and stimulation they need, and it's a big call for your average household to commit to it, then it's better the dog is put down. I would hate to think of Jarrah in a situation where she doesn't get her couple of hours a day running, leaping, climbing, swimming, she absolutely lives for it.