Trocoxil

kayla1

Does anyone have experience with the long lasting NSAID Trocoxil for pain relief? From my understanding it is safer than some of the older ones, but of course there may be issues with side effects and the drug staying in the system. Has anyone used it?

Does anyone have experience with the long lasting NSAID Trocoxil for pain relief? From my understanding it is safer than some of the older ones, but of course there may be issues with side effects and the drug staying in the system. Has anyone used it?

Our 13 year old has been on it for 6 months now.

It has been fantastic, far more effective than Rimadyl.

Prior to that we had done a course of Cartrophen injections, which seemed to have little impact, but hopefully will help delay the joint deterioration.

We did bloods first to make sure her liver etc were OK?

On a previous dog we had used the Cartrophen and Rimadyl which didn't make much difference.

I would choose Trocoxyl over Rimadyl because it is making a drastic difference to her life.

She has to have a month's break now, and I am dreading it.

After six months, a one month break is needed so that the drug doesn't accumulate above a certain level.

I do worry that it stays in the system so is more of a problem if there are side effects, and not that long ago I probably wouldn't have considered using it. But with my older boy having periods of severe back pain which various medications (carprieve, onsior, prednisolone, dexamethasone, tramadol) have been unable to control, there are few options left. :( I guess the advantage is Trocoxil provides more consistent anti-inflamm and is supposed to stop the breakthrough pain.

Prior to that we had done a course of Cartrophen injections, which seemed to have little impact, but hopefully will help delay the joint deterioration.

On a previous dog we had used the Cartrophen and Rimadyl which didn't make much difference.

I would choose Trocoxyl over Rimadyl because it is making a drastic difference to her life.

I'm glad to hear it's working for your girl. Did you notice any pain coming through towards the end of each month?

I'm glad to hear it's working for your girl. Did you notice any pain coming through towards the end of each month?

She definitely is a little more stiff at the end of the month, but is still better than my old boy was on Rimadyl or tramol . She has good quality of life on this drug, and it seems that if a dog tolerates it, it works really well with less liver damage than Rimadyl or Metacam.

After six months, a one month break is needed so that the drug doesn't accumulate above a certain level.

I do worry that it stays in the system so is more of a problem if there are side effects, and not that long ago I probably wouldn't have considered using it. But with my older boy having periods of severe back pain which various medications (carprieve, onsior, prednisolone, dexamethasone, tramadol) have been unable to control, there are few options left. :( I guess the advantage is Trocoxil provides more consistent anti-inflamm and is supposed to stop the breakthrough pain.

Another drug to look at is Robaxin or methocarbamol, which is used for muscle spasms. As we are dealing with arthritis, our vet suggested Trocoxyl. It has been used the UK for at least five years.

Thanks, I'll ask my vet about robaxin. He does have muscle spasms occasionally but it's more that the spine hasn't fused since the disc collapse, so the slightest movement there can cause inflammation and pain. He has been getting frequent episodes of breakthrough pain on the previous meds, with the last episode being particularly bad, so hopefully trocoxil can stabilise it.

Yes, if it provides quality of life then it's well worth it.

• 2 months later...

She definitely is a little more stiff at the end of the month, but is still better than my old boy was on Rimadyl or tramol . She has good quality of life on this drug, and it seems that if a dog tolerates it, it works really well with less liver damage than Rimadyl or Metacam.

My boy has been on this for a couple of months now and has had no episodes of severe pain since he's been on it (unlike when he was on previous meds). He still has some mild pain and muscle spasm, and loss of hind leg function, which we are working on with acupuncture etc but it has greatly improved his quality of life. :)

I haven't noticed any increase in pain towards the end of the month either, which is great.

Are you giving magnesium tablets to assist with muscle spasms???

You may also fin bowen to be very helpful especially for spine issues.

It was my old boys best friend .

He was on previcox which worked best for him

He did react to a number of the meds by over heating & would dig to china & be restless.

Any meds he got on an alternate basis to minimize the side effects.

Liver issues where a concern but in the end we decided quality in a shorter span was better ,he had spondolyisis .

We also did bowen every 3/4 weeks & that was the biggest helper

No, actually I didn't know about magnesium for muscle spasms? Thanks.

I've been using heat and massage mainly. He's had four acupuncture sessions now, and it wasn't until the last session that I really noticed an improvement afterwards.

He hasn't had any noticeable side effects, apart from the increased hunger and thirst. Interesting you mention about overheating, I didn't know that was a possible side effect. His recent blood test was fine - well a slightly higher liver value but the vet said that was no problem. Yes that's my thinking too, quality over quantity.

I've been using heat and massage mainly. He's had four acupuncture sessions now, and it wasn't until the last session that I really noticed an improvement afterwards.

He hasn't had any noticeable side effects, apart from the increased hunger and thirst. Interesting you mention about overheating, I didn't know that was a possible side effect. His recent blood test was fine - well a slightly higher liver value but the vet said that was no problem. Yes that's my thinking too, quality over quantity.

My old girl has just come off her break from Trocoxil - she really suffered without it, despite weekly acupuncture and alternative pain relievers.

She went back on Trocoxil last weekend - it is kicking in now thank goodness. At her age, it is all about quality of life, and Trocoxil gives her that.

My vet also uses Robaxin when appropriate - it is no use for us as the pain is all arthritic and spinal fusion.

Re magnesium, be careful as it can cause massive diarrhoea. Often the muscle spasms are a symptom of the inflammation so it is important to control the inflammation.

We did another lot of bloods while she was on her break - all good, so it appears she is coping well with the Trocoxil.

My old girl has just come off her break from Trocoxil - she really suffered without it, despite weekly acupuncture and alternative pain relievers.

She went back on Trocoxil last weekend - it is kicking in now thank goodness. At her age, it is all about quality of life, and Trocoxil gives her that.

My vet also uses Robaxin when appropriate - it is no use for us as the pain is all arthritic and spinal fusion.

Re magnesium, be careful as it can cause massive diarrhoea. Often the muscle spasms are a symptom of the inflammation so it is important to control the inflammation.

We did another lot of bloods while she was on her break - all good, so it appears she is coping well with the Trocoxil.

I did a lot of reading before my boy went on it, and I remember seeing posts on other forums about people struggling to get through the month break. Good news that your girl's blood tests are all ok.

Re magnesium, yes I'm always careful about introducing new things so I'll be chatting to the vet when Coco has his next acupuncture session. This particular vet is good because she also uses alternative medicines.

• 3 months later...

Coco has been on trocoxil for six months now and continues to do well on it. It has really given him the quality of life that the other meds couldn't. Perhaps it's the continuous anti-imflammatory effect that makes the difference in his case.

Though he was a bit sore a few days prior to the last tablet. I hope it doesn't lose effectiveness over time? He's due for his break next month, so not looking forward to that.

Coco has been on trocoxil for six months now and continues to do well on it. It has really given him the quality of life that the other meds couldn't. Perhaps it's the continuous anti-imflammatory effect that makes the difference in his case.

Though he was a bit sore a few days prior to the last tablet. I hope it doesn't lose effectiveness over time? He's due for his break next month, so not looking forward to that.

We didn't find that it became less effective.

Re magnesium, it can give bad diarrhoea so I haven't risked it.

Our girl had hemorrhagic diarrhoea on CHristmas Day so now she cannot have any NSAIDs! Interestingly they said it doesn't seem to be related to the Trocoxil, as many dogs seem to get it for no reason, but the damage means no more Trocoxil. They suggested Rimadyl, but we found that it hit the gut, as did metacam. Now we rely on weekly acupuncture and laser and Chinese herbal arthritis relief pills. Plus she has Ester C, musseltone, fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin. She limps on her right front, but is pretty good on the whole.

Oh poor girl! Sounds like she's getting good relief from the alternative treatments though.

We may have a problem with it in future because Coco is now showing signs of tracheal collapse, so if that requires steroid treatment then he'll have to come off the trocoxil. Will see how he goes anyway.

I've got a nearly 12 year old Labrador that could hardly walk in winter last year due to her arthritis. The vet put her on Troxicol and Cartrophen injections and the combination helped her a lot. She is still having the Cartrophen every 3 months but I decided to give the Troxicol a break for summer and may try and only use it in the cold months. This will depend on how she goes as she gets older.

The vet made me smile when he said she was the happiest dog he had seen for a while, and she is a very happy dog despite her arthritis. :)

I've got a nearly 12 year old Labrador that could hardly walk in winter last year due to her arthritis. The vet put her on Troxicol and Cartrophen injections and the combination helped her a lot. She is still having the Cartrophen every 3 months but I decided to give the Troxicol a break for summer and may try and only use it in the cold months. This will depend on how she goes as she gets older.

The vet made me smile when he said she was the happiest dog he had seen for a while, and she is a very happy dog despite her arthritis. :)

That's great! Glad she is getting some relief. :)