14 Year Old Shepherd X Malamute

vicdrg

Our lovely boy has just had 12 months since he was diagnosed with anal gland cancer. He had a horrific operation to remove a tumour that had squashed his colon so he couldn't toilet at all that involved breaking his pubic bones. This was followed by chemotherapy. He tolerated it well and apart from occasional incontinence bounced back well However with the last treatment the oncologist pointed out that the increasing incontinence wasn't from the operation but from spinal myelopathy. This was confirmed by our vet. On vet advice we have him on a huge dose of Vitamin E and are just getting a compounding mixture that has shown signs of some success overseas. He has also had a course of cartrophen to help with any residual arthritis.

He is dragging his left leg and slowly getting worse with his hind quarters lowering. Has anyone had any success in delaying the inevitable with acupuncture, bowen massage or anything that stimulates the nerves.

I am going through this with my 12.5 year old foster. She's on her first course of cartrophen and has been getting acupuncture/chiro treatments every 2nd saturday since May, which I honestly believe is delaying the inevitable. Last visit she also had a B12 injection and she was the best she's been in a while! She is SO good after a treatment!

Walking your dog on sand will improve the strength in those hind legs but start off with short sessions (~5 minutes). I also bought her a pair of boots since our house is all floorboards and tiles, they improve her grip and movement so much but the dragging of the right foot means the boot eventually moves out of place.

It sounds like your dog's been through the wars. I'm sorry to hear he has had so many battles.

My Shepherd has had Degenerative Myelopathy for almost two years now. I take him to an excellent rehabilitation therapist in WA and she has given me specific exercises for his condition. I have found that underwater treadmill sessions help him greatly. He has not tolerated acupuncture well and seemed worse after those two sessions so I've given up on those.

When he was first diagnosed, I was told that most dogs are unable to walk or stand on their own within 18 months, we're approaching two years and he still walks 5km unaided (he gets very wobbly afterwards though). His vet and therapist say he still has good muscle tone and has not degenerated much in the last 12 months. We have been lucky in that he doesn't have other joint issues like arthritis.

We have a little obstacle course in the back yard which we go through every morning for 10 mins. It forces him to lift his legs in order to clear it.

As Mim said, lots of walks on sand, also grass. Walking in the shallows at the beach is excellent but don't push him too much too soon. Walking uphill is great for building up the right muscles in his back legs.

Excuse all the waffling! My first bit of advice, is find a therapist. Ask your vet or put the question to the forums for a recommendation.

Thanks for all the advice. We went to the physio where he used to have treadmill but she has advised he is beyond that now. He has two or three short 10 to 15 minutes walks a day and in the evening gets up to a little run. He still has quality of life but because it's distressing for us to watch him doesn't mean that it is time for us to give him a needle. He loves his food, still scavenges in the park for scraps, watches the little foster doesn't steal his bones, and barks frantically when he knows its walk times. Yes he is aware he soils inside and he waits outside till we clean up. Husband gets up three times a night for him as he tries to go outside sometimes when he doesn't need too.

If we can delay the end we will, till he doesn't want to get up one day or he refuses a meal.

We'll probably try acupuncture and bowen to see if it helps. And will look at the B12 injection.

Thanks for that.

It sounds like your dog's been through the wars. I'm sorry to hear he has had so many battles.

My Shepherd has had Degenerative Myelopathy for almost two years now. I take him to an excellent rehabilitation therapist in WA and she has given me specific exercises for his condition. I have found that underwater treadmill sessions help him greatly. He has not tolerated acupuncture well and seemed worse after those two sessions so I've given up on those.

When he was first diagnosed, I was told that most dogs are unable to walk or stand on their own within 18 months, we're approaching two years and he still walks 5km unaided (he gets very wobbly afterwards though). His vet and therapist say he still has good muscle tone and has not degenerated much in the last 12 months. We have been lucky in that he doesn't have other joint issues like arthritis.

We have a little obstacle course in the back yard which we go through every morning for 10 mins. It forces him to lift his legs in order to clear it.

As Mim said, lots of walks on sand, also grass. Walking in the shallows at the beach is excellent but don't push him too much too soon. Walking uphill is great for building up the right muscles in his back legs.

Excuse all the waffling! My first bit of advice, is find a therapist. Ask your vet or put the question to the forums for a recommendation.

White Shepherd mom, what things do you use for your obstacle course?

Sorry about the delay in answering kayla, I don't spend much time on DOL. I've basically taken two planks of wood, drilled 5 holes of about 15cm diameter along the tops of each one and glued bits of wood on the bottoms (for feet). I place the two planks parralel to each other, far enough so that I can place 5 broom sticks in the holes. I have made the one plank taller than the other so as to provide more of a challenge! I'm terrible at explaining things so I don't know if it makes sense! I had some photos but can't find them so will have to take more and show you. We also do excercises that stretch his spine. I spend about 15 minutes every morning doing exercises and every evening we go for a 40-60 minute walk.

vicdrg, I am glad you have not given up on your dog. When Casper was diagnosed with DM, I joined a Yahoo Group for Degenerative Myelopathy. There was some useful information there and a lot of owners have purchased wheel chairs for their dogs to get around. A few of them also express their dogs bladders so that they are in control of when the dog goes to toilet. Perhaps this would help as your dog wouldn't need to go out in the night as often.

There was one story that sticks in my mind a lot. One of the women on the list had her GSD in a wheelchair as the dog couldn't get around on his/her own. They then bought a huge property which had unever terrain, ie rocks, logs, etc. Over time the dog got so good at running around the property that he/she was able to do it without the wheels.

Sorry about the delay in answering kayla, I don't spend much time on DOL. I've basically taken two planks of wood, drilled 5 holes of about 15cm diameter along the tops of each one and glued bits of wood on the bottoms (for feet). I place the two planks parralel to each other, far enough so that I can place 5 broom sticks in the holes. I have made the one plank taller than the other so as to provide more of a challenge! I'm terrible at explaining things so I don't know if it makes sense! I had some photos but can't find them so will have to take more and show you. We also do excercises that stretch his spine. I spend about 15 minutes every morning doing exercises and every evening we go for a 40-60 minute walk.

vicdrg, I am glad you have not given up on your dog. When Casper was diagnosed with DM, I joined a Yahoo Group for Degenerative Myelopathy. There was some useful information there and a lot of owners have purchased wheel chairs for their dogs to get around. A few of them also express their dogs bladders so that they are in control of when the dog goes to toilet. Perhaps this would help as your dog wouldn't need to go out in the night as often.

There was one story that sticks in my mind a lot. One of the women on the list had her GSD in a wheelchair as the dog couldn't get around on his/her own. They then bought a huge property which had unever terrain, ie rocks, logs, etc. Over time the dog got so good at running around the property that he/she was able to do it without the wheels.

Thanks White Shepherd mom. That's similar to how a vet was explaining it to me the other day, about getting them to lift their legs in order to build muscle. An obstacle course is a great idea.