Agility In Victoria

Ok, a touch frustrated, about to go email a bunch of people again but thought I'd ask here as well.

My WSSD girl and I are doing Obedience training, she is obedient but she doesn't love the training so neither of us really enjoy it, after Obedience there is a small series of jumps and a tunnel - well you want to see a Jeckyl and Hyde - the most excited dog in the place, I would set her up at the start of the jumps and have to do the course via voice as I could not run as fast as she was able to do the course!

I want to do Agility, because my dog REALLY loves to do it. After Show training I sat and watched a club train, and at the end asked how to get involved and was basically told I wouldn't be considered because we aren't good enough yet. The only other place I can think of close to us seems to have a similar attitude. It seems I need to have a UDX dog before we will be considered for Agility. I will go to CCD if I have to (she is basically a CCD dog now just needs some fine tuning of our heel and speed of sit/ drop/ stand transitions) but neither of us get much out of this training because we don't enjoy it, so why take it further.

I would like to get a title or 2 in agility, but to be fair I am not aiming to represent Australia at the Agility Olympics - how can I be, we haven't had a single Agility lesson to date, it's possible this will change.

All I am after is a place where we can train, where we will be accepted to train from a bottom level and given the opportunity to work our way up. I don't want to have to buy my own equipment and watch DVD's to train ourselves because I can't find a club to take us.

Our other biggest issue is that I show, and so it would be preferable to find a club which trains after hours on a weekday other than a Sat or Sun morning. I am the only person currently representing my breed in the show rings in my part of Victoria, and it would be nice not to have to sacrifice one, to do the other.

Maybe I am asking for too much - I'm sure I'll be told pretty quickly if that's the case!! But if anyone has any idea's that'd be great.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three agility dedicated clubs in Victoria that train on a weekday.

Action Dogs (Doveton) - Wednesday nights, just had an intake for foundation so won't be another one till next year.

K9 Agility (KCC) - Thursday nights, closed wait list.

Agility Dog Club of Vic (Altona) - Friday nights, don't know what their wait list is like :)

There is also a few people who do private lessons or you can just book to use their equipment. I've been out to Awesome Paws in Cranbourne ran by Geraldine, it's $20 an hour for either a lesson or do it yourself. Being new to agility though I definately recommend doing a foundation class rather than just winging it and hoping for the best :D

Other than that, the only other place is another club that does a foundation/beginner class without being so strict on the level of obedience. Where abouts are you?

According to their website, there's also Bulla (Monday nights) - no intake assessment until 2013.

ADCV (Altona) doesn't have a website at the moment - so it's a bit hard to find info on them. If you're out Altona way - drop me a PM.

On a Saturday, but frankston is about to start a foundation course next week. I believe it is run by some of the action dogs volunteers. Croydon also has agility on Sunday. You can get in if your dog does some basic obedience. Fergs just had to sit/stay and do a little bit of heeling (I haven't really taught heel) and he was in.

On a Saturday, but frankston is about to start a foundation course next week. I believe it is run by some of the action dogs volunteers. Croydon also has agility on Sunday. You can get in if your dog does some basic obedience. Fergs just had to sit/stay and do a little bit of heeling (I haven't really taught heel) and he was in.

Starts 8/9, next week there is no training as everyone is at the state trial :)

I'm in Yarra Glen but happy to travel as far as KCC South and Bulla West.

K9 told me not to even bother going on the wait list, I've been told Croydon was the same but might email them and see if they are willing to assess us and I will join if they like us. Happy to go on a Sunday morning if I have no other choice.

Thanks for the tip for Geraldine, I will give her a call this avo, a private lesson might even be the way to go at first and she doesn't sound expensive.

The problem isn't that we can't do the obedience - she's a naturally very obedient dog. We have flawless recall (and I can call her off anything, at any time, anywhere), sit / drop / stand / stay / jump / up & down (on and off obstacles) / "in" (for tunnels and confined spaces), heel is good but needs a fine tune for closeness.

It's the matter of no intake opportunity for at least 6 months or a waiting list so long I'm told not to bother even trying to get in!

I must admit being so new to dog sports there is certainly an air of "your not good enough" whilst trying to get involved, that is really off putting. All I want to do is train my dog in something she loves and hopefully get a few titles along the way. embarrass.gif

Thanks a lot! WIll look into that too, sounds perfect. Thank you!

Thanks a lot! WIll look into that too, sounds perfect. Thank you!

Hope to see you there (well if my girl isn't in season :p) I am the only one with Tollers, the foundation is actually very good and the trainers know their stuff :) It compliments Action dogs very well I've found. Croydon would be the same I think, but I've never been so can't comment personally.

You can't go wrong with Geraldine, she is one of the states top triallers/trainers :)

I had been on the wait list for K9 for years......there is a real need for more agility clubs down here

Actually there are 5 agility dedicated clubs in Victoria - BAD (at Bulla) train on a Monday night at Bulla's Dogs Victoria grounds. There is also Mitchell Agility Dogs but I think they train on Sundays at Wandong so probably not suitable. (But I believe currently the only agility club with no waiting list)

We have just had an Assessment night at Bulla and our new intake is about to start this Monday, so next Assessment night is currently scheduled for early February 2013. If you are interested, keep an eye out on the website www.bad.org.au for details. I believe Action Dogs also run an Assessment night rather than a waiting list, so maybe keep an eye out for their website as well.

There are a couple of overseas presenters running seminars in Victoria next year, so you may also be able to jump on board there and do a foundation seminar as well. Lynda Orton-Hill @KCC Park in February and Dave Munnings @ a private propery in Clonbinane (near Wandong/Kilmore) in May.

I sympathise with how hard it is to get into agility clubs - am so glad it wasn't like this when I first started out. Another obedience club that I believe runs agility is Warringal (@Montmorency near Greensborough) and I don't think you have to be at a particularly advanced standard to participate but I'm not 100% sure, also not sure what their training is like. Might still be worthwhile checking out though.

Actually there are 5 agility dedicated clubs in Victoria - BAD (at Bulla) train on a Monday night at Bulla's Dogs Victoria grounds. There is also Mitchell Agility Dogs but I think they train on Sundays at Wandong so probably not suitable. (But I believe currently the only agility club with no waiting list)

Oops sorry, I knew about BAD but for some reason it didn't click when typing :o and I've never heard of Mitchell agility dogs so learnt something new!

Oops sorry, I knew about BAD but for some reason it didn't click when typing :o and I've never heard of Mitchell agility dogs so learnt something new!

Mitchell (MAD) have been going for a few years now, certainly longer than we have at Bulla (this is our 3rd year) They don't have a big trialling contingent and most of those who do trial belong to other clubs as well, so even if you've seen them out there I can understand not making the connection. I believe they have a club shirt, think it's purple? They used to have a website if you google, but not sure if it's still operational. If you look at agility trials site you will see a 'mock trial' listed for the Seymour agricultural show - this is the 'trial' that they host.

They began training at a private property in Broadford then moved a couple of years back to Davern Reserve at Wandong. They aim more at the market of 'recreational agility' than preparing to trial I think, although one of our instructors at Bulla also instructs at Mitchell and I know she is keen to change things up a bit.

Probably a bit far for the OP though.

Mitchell (MAD) have been going for a few years now, certainly longer than we have at Bulla (this is our 3rd year) They don't have a big trialling contingent and most of those who do trial belong to other clubs as well, so even if you've seen them out there I can understand not making the connection. I believe they have a club shirt, think it's purple? They used to have a website if you google, but not sure if it's still operational. If you look at agility trials site you will see a 'mock trial' listed for the Seymour agricultural show - this is the 'trial' that they host.

They began training at a private property in Broadford then moved a couple of years back to Davern Reserve at Wandong. They aim more at the market of 'recreational agility' than preparing to trial I think, although one of our instructors at Bulla also instructs at Mitchell and I know she is keen to change things up a bit.

Probably a bit far for the OP though.

Interesting, thanks for that!

Thanks so much Tollers smile.gif

Have emailed Action Dogs and Geraldine (and spoke to her on the phone) and will email Croydon to see what they say as well.

Yes Kelpiechick Wandong is a bit far out for me, actually I just don't like that particular drive from here. North is the worst direction to travel from Yarra Glen. But it's nice to know whats available none the less, thanks again.

Does Frankston require to have passed their obedience classes up to a certain level or can a dog just be tested. Indi has good obedience but i am refusing to run her through club obedience classes. Have joined two but only way up is to complete the full obedience classes, and i believe them too long and boring. I was looking into the dedicated agility clubs for this reason but as has been said entry is hard. Unfortunately we miss out as too young by a week for the recent Doveton intake so will try it next time.

Sounds tough to get into agility in VIC :(

It does. Which is very sad.

In Qld we are lucky to have alot of ADAA clubs which opens up the options.

I think part of the issue is that there are a lot of membership double-ups in agility here in Vic i.e. people who are members of two, three and four different clubs but only train at say two of them 98% of the time. It has to have an impact on availability of places for anyone else trying to get in.