Guest lavendergirl

Guest lavendergirl

I'm shocking, it takes me forever to make my point LOL

The main thing is... we don't sound like loonies :laugh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lavender girl has put a really good short email to write - if you get too wordy it comes across as preachy but keep it short and friendly and even if one goes hey that person just might be right that s one less.

Often think the same thing re putting a price on them when you see the free to good home ads for horses. Free to good home for a horse that can be turned around into a $250 profit for someone who can go and get it and then sell on to the doggers by someone seeing a quick buck.

Guest lavendergirl

I presume there are moderators for gumtree?

Perhaps it's better to approach them?

Surely it couldn't be too hard for them to pin a permanent advisory notice about FTGH issues.

Gumtree actually does have a very good link to information about FTGH issues and what can go wrong. Trouble is people don't have to read it and won't see it unless they go looking for the terms and conditions - something many don't do before posting an ad.

Guest lavendergirl

The local notice board at our local shop is full of giveaway adds :( I can understand the desperation but why even bother to breed in the first place if it isnt viable for these people.

I suppose because they can't be bothered doing anything to stop the breeding - i.e. desexing. :(

There was actually a really good cartoon doing the rounds on FB of a FTGH dog spinning a prize wheel with all the horrible possibilities on the wheel. Can't find it now but perhaps a canny DOLer has saved it. That with a link to a webpage with advice on safe rehoming would probably do the job better than anything.

This one?

free.jpg

I know that the cartoon is accurate - just dont know why I am now crying :-(

At the risk of sounding like a loon - why don't humans realise the power they have over other living, breathing, FEELING creatures.

Not saying that rehoming is bad - sometimes it is unavoidable/the best solution. But bloody hell, it can be sad

I hate that dogs are seen as disposable possessions by so many. Something that has stood by our sides through centuries, not questioning, unwavering loyalty to even the most undeserving, yet treated like garbage.

Edited by mixeduppup

There was actually a really good cartoon doing the rounds on FB of a FTGH dog spinning a prize wheel with all the horrible possibilities on the wheel. Can't find it now but perhaps a canny DOLer has saved it. That with a link to a webpage with advice on safe rehoming would probably do the job better than anything.

This one?

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks MUP.

That page has gone poof!!!

I try to get the point accross without being looney when I do it, but these days I do it rarely as down here there are so many of them and apart from taking them all myself it makes not one ounce of difference. Too many idiots and imbiciles.

I help where I can and make sure I am polite and concise when trying to head them in the right direction ie contacting breeders/rescues etc desexing before rehoming not breeding at all!!!

recent ad - no there is no Chiwawa in them they parents were both pure Maltese Shitzu's

Sigh!!!!!!

I have rehomed my inlaws dog in the past.

I made up some ads, posted them about, got god knows how may calls in the first hour - the add read only to an approved home - no mention of cost.

I had a lady ring me up within 15 minutes. sounded genuine. Her and her family came out to visit us adn the dog the next day. I then told her I would visit them and check out where he would live. All was good. I then took the dog and all his belongings out to their place. It was nearly a week from when they first came out to Butch going to live with them.

I didn't make it easy, the lady appreciated why and was very happy to go through the process. He was desexed, vaccinated up to date with everything had his insulated kennel, coats, food etc etc. I would have kept him happily had it been the best situation for that dog, it wasn't as one little Jack Russell was going to end up as Dobermann poop!

He is spoilt and we are all still in contact.

I guess FTGH is not as much of an issue as the - must go today, must go or will go to the pound, or the dogs goes to the first person who turns up. It is the way it is done.

All the ads get up my nose therefore I don't read Gumtree

I can't help but look, it's like an ulcer on your tongue you keep chewing on....

I know what you mean though, and FTGH has it's place, I would much rather know my animals, should they ever need to be rehomed, gosh forbid, but would much rather know they'll be loved and looked after than I score a hundred bucks out of it.

And like everything, there's a right way to do it and a lot of very, very wrong ways.

Sadly the protocol isn't always followed, I don't know whether people think they don't have time or simply don't care enough?