Food Intolerance Test Results

Erny

Update : I've been using the Augustine the Boxer's "Super Food" (ready made) and adding that with human grade roo mince. It was a bit difficult at first to get Mandela "into" the new food mix and I had to work a bit harder by heating the meat to encourage him to eat. He'd initially leave some of the food when he did eat it and there was more mucking around with storing the left overs and offering them back at the next meal time. (Mandela is fed twice a day, generally.) There were some meals he skipped completely.

After about 4 days of this though, he suddenly developed a taste for it and has taken to it with gusto. In the past few days he's eaten every morsel enthusiastically both morning and evening feeds. He appears to be gaining weight and I must confess he appears more comfortable in his torso, and happier within himself.

Ok .... here's the part where I am still holding my breath. Over the years, Mandela has had some foods where he has "come good" and gone well on it for a reasonable period (several months or so) then suddenly gone "off" with a hive break-out or some other symptom, discomfort etc.

So, whilst I am undoubtedly thrilled with the improvement I've seen in him on the Augustine food, I am loathe to party too soon. I am quietly optimistic though. See, the thing is, he is still on roo mince. Which indicates to me that the addition of the Augustine food has to have had some part in helping his digestive system cope with it. These are of course my layman's thoughts and rational, but it makes sense to me :D.

Mandela's coat is generally very good, but I must admit he seems to sport a deeper colour and lustre since feeding Augustine's food.

For the moment, I'm pretty impressed with the food. Holding out with a "time will tell" (having gone through this so many times before, I just don't want to get too happy for fear I'll be disappointed again) but so far so good :thumbsup::crossfingers::dancingelephant:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skruffy n Flea ..... that was a lovely post. Thank you very much for the compliment :o. I feel humbled, but very appreciative of such sentiment.

ETA: I can't help but agreeing with you with the "universe must have been speaking with me" comment. I think there is a reason Mandela came my way .................... :D.

Edited by Erny

Great news Erny

I will keep my my fingers crossed that its a long term solution.That would be awsome!

Horribly frustrating and upsetting dealing with allergies and would very hard for you with so many reactors.

I take my hat off to you! Going to get some calendula for my husbands allergies to test the tea on him.Its like 3rd degree burns for him and dealing with allergies in a human is hard enough for me.Your determination to beat this has my admiration too.

Hi Erny

I too am interested on how things are going on the Augustine Superfood with Mandela. I am interested in trying it out for my allergy friendly boy :D

but a bit cautious with regard to the expense of it all.

I hope all is going well for you still

regards

myboyjosh

Hi SnF and MyboyJosh.

Mandela's history goes way back and has always been checkered, consequently nothing with him is established in a hurry. Since writing, Mandela has had one day where he went "off" the food and showed what I have come to believe is abdominal discomfort but after that is back to it with gusto and I am delighted at what little time it takes him to now gobble up his meals. It's been a long time since he's eaten with such enthusiasm and this is a good sign (to me) because (IMO) it indicates the absence of abdominal discomfort which I presume was something that caused him to eat more slowly and with less relish.

I'm not yet totally convinced that abdominal discomfort is completely gone but given the improved signs I can't help but think discomfort has lessened.

I would like Mandela to put on more weight than he is carrying but for the purposes of the trial of Augustine's Super Food and the advice of its owner/inventor, I'm not over-feeding him (sticking to a total of 1kg roo mince and 560g of the superfood each day). Provided he remains healthy in appearance (coat; eyes; energetic; etc.) I'm not too concerned about him being a bit more lean than I'd otherwise prefer.

The Superfood is exxy and this will be the first admission of the owner and inventor of "A+ Augustine Approved human food for dogs". I can understand why. The 'prepared' food is not yet ready for retail (they are helping me out BIG time by providing me with the prepared food thus far) and there is a lot of preparation time and energy involved. It would be affordable if one owned a small dog, but a big dog like Mandela and his digestive issues is pricey to feed at the best of times. However, acknowledging that the prepared item is not yet ready for retail, the "in the meantime" substitute is their recipe along with their Augustine Approved Superboost and/or other of the supplements that make up the superfood.

I don't think Mandela is 'right' yet and I've discussed this with the owner of Augustine Approved Superfood products. I have also discussed this with Dr Bruce Syme who has throughout Mandela's whole history seen and supported me when possible in my quest to try to resolve Mandela's digestive issues. Bruce has made a couple of suggestions (probiotic related) to further supplement Mandela with. Bruce knows well the trouble I have had and the extensive range of foods/diets I have given a good deal of time to trial and recommends I stick with food that Mandela seems to be doing ok on.

So, while I'm here, I feel a big "THANKS" is deserved to Dr Bruce Syme (Castlemaine Vet Clinic - Vets All Natural) AND to Phivo of A+ Augustine Approved human food for dogs.

Both these people and their products, recommendations and suggestions are things I have found helpful along the way :).

Hi Nic.B.

In the 4 years I've had my boy since getting him as a pup, he has gone through a whole gammit of symptoms. Hives; inter-digital cysts; abdominal discomfort; ear flap rashes; rashes on the insides of his rear legs; symptoms that appeared very much as furunculosis; going off food; vomit (but rarely bile); sloppy poop; farting the stinkiest rotten farts ever; irritated bottom (which would have come from irritated anal glands which resulted from too much sloppy poop for too long); inflamed cuticles; and perhaps some more symptoms that I've forgotten about.

Hi Erny,

Thank you :) I forgot about the farting, Fern does the same when she has eaten something she shouldnt. At night I can smell it wafting through the entire house, sloppy poop and skin rashes are also a feature.

She appears to be doing ok for the moment though I can also relate to her doing well for a period of time on certain foods and then having a setback, then I need to re assess.

I find it both interesting and frustrating!

I agree Mandela is such a lucky boy to have such a devoted Mum, I am so happy he has found you :)

hey erny, though it sounds like mandela is doing ok on his new food just thought i'd update you with any abattoir info i had... work could inform me that there are no current abattoris dealing with human consumption horsemeat in vic, though there are definitely ones in sa and qld. so perhaps if you still needed the clean meat, the sa one would be the way to go and cold courier it to yours?

scruffy'n'flea - as a horse rider myself i don't love the idea of eating horsemeat. but i can pretty well guarantee you that the horses that are marked for human consumption have a better deal than those heading to the knackery/slaughterhouse. in any case with the huge amount of over-suppy of horses in aus it is a reality of life and as a horse owner myself it is a reality that one has to be realistic and pragmatic about. have i sent one of my animals to the slaughterhouse? no. but i have been to the markets and seen the meat men buying the animals and know that without good owners, trainers $$ and everything else some horses are destined for such a place. i would prefer the nice natured horses (often there from misfortune) to have a quick end rather than starving in a paddock somewhere and i certainly condone the quick death of the animals that are simply not safe - and they do exist.

- not trying to hijack the thread erny, nor am i in any way offended, just realistic :grimace:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Myboyjosh and Mackiemad.

Well, a small update ..... Mandela's poops are still the best they've been in a good while AND he's still not farting :D .

Also, whilst I'd already noted/wondered about the extra depth of colour and gleam in his coat since beginning Augustine's SuperFood (I often second guess myself with things such as this as I'm so close to the subject and looking at him all the time for changes and Mandela's coat is generally very good anyway, but there is just something super extra about it of late and it is satin to touch), I had him at the Vet's this morning for a teeth clean. The Vet didn't know about us trialling Augustine's SuperFood so was completely objective when he remarked on how extra glossy/lush his coat was :D. Obviously it has not been my imagination at work and so far I really like the changes brought about since Augustine's SF has become Mandela's diet.

Something else - Mandela is eating his breakfast and dinner as enthusiastically as he did when he was a youngster prior to the advent of digestive issue symptoms.

So far, the pointers are all good.

Touch wood.

ETA: Oh - and now that Mandela has his pearly white's back, I'm re-introducing Plaque-Off to his new diet and quietly and patiently waiting and watching hoping that this does not cause upset. :crossfingers:

Edited by Erny

• 1 month later...

You mean, which international courier? I use FedEx - excellent, although only if I take to their drop off point as I've had disastrous experiences with their outside couriers used to collect stuff and deliver to their drop off points.

Hi Piper - in fact, yes, he is :D.

He's had a small amount of irritation evident to a toe or two ..... right at the beginning of the main onslaught of allergy season, but we got through and past that (it seems, *touch wood*) and things are pretty good.

He still has gum ulcers and we're still working on that. Teeth have been cleaned (again) but ulcers remain. Xrays show no probs to root of teeth. This one is still a bit of a quandary but auto-immune issue suspected. Don't know where that one is going to go.

BUT, X-rays (which I asked for just to check progression of spondylosis) show NO SPONDYLOSIS :cheer: . Heck of a surprise to me, but a delightful one and about time we had some good news regards his health. Am now under care/guidance of Michelle Monk (Dogs in Motion) and Mandela receiving a goodly amount of massage as a certain muscle group (ilipso, or something like that) suspected as the culprit for stiffness.

But, back to topic, the food Mandela is on (Augustine Approved's SuperFood) is keeping him well. He's put on some weight, looking well in his coat and in himself, still no farting :D and his appetite is very good. :dancingelephant: .

Edited by Erny

Actually, no, it's not (yet) the longest period of time he's remained well on a food. Vets All Natural Allerblend ran for about 7 - 10 months before Mandela's body hiccupped (so to speak) and a break-out of hives returned and he went 'off' the food. So to be fair, the jury is still out on the current "Augustine's" food as well, until more time goes by. Phivo, the 'manufacturer' of "Augustine's" is aware that Mandela is a different and particularly hard-case and that more time than the usual is needed before we can look back and claim confidence that Mandela's system totally accepts the diet. At this stage, we're about 3 months in with the Augustine's SuperFood - a period of time that for most dogs, would be fairly well telling, I'd think.

However, there have been other foods (commercial line albeit top of the range kibble) that have not gone the distance and that Mandela has turned away from sooner than this. The fact that he is so enthusiastic for the food and up there and waiting for his breakfast and dinner is a big turn around in my books. That and the fact he is not farting which IMO has got to be a great indicator that his intestines are not objecting to the food.

So I continue with :crossfingers: .

ETA: Phivo's been great and very supportive as well, helping me out with the preparation of the food and its supply. He's been following with interest Mandela's progress :).

Edited by Erny

Yes, it certainly is promising. Mandela receives lots of comments on how healthy he looks - often more healthy than dogs not suffering any afflicting condition :D. I'm monitoring the gum ulcers. Too soon to proclaim they are looking better as they can sometimes do that and then flair up again.

I will add that Mandela's behaviour noticeably settled/calmed by comparison to previous, soon after and since having him on the Augustine's. Although even at 4.5yo, he still has a goodly amount of fun loving puppy brain, lol.

Edited by Erny