Are 2 Dogs Better Then 1

Guest donatella

Donatella don't let your heart rule your head. There is no way I would buy the pup unless I owned it outright. You have had some very good advice from some very knowledgeable breeders in this thread, please read it carefully.

I was going to say the exact same thing stans mum. I know you love this puppy Donatella but this co ownership thing doesn't sound very fair to me & I wouldn't be entering into it at all.I am not an experienced breeder but you

would be surprised how many "lovely little puppies" you could fall in love with with a lot less baggage than this one if you bide your time & keep looking. That's if you can't own him outright.

And I will say wait and really say what the breeder is like- this may be a very genuine case of the breeder wanting to keep genetics available but not being able to do it themselves.

If it seems all one sided then run away but if they are happy to give you stud fees, freeze semen early and you get a say about when and who he is used over then it may be very equitable.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I definitely wont make any decisions until I have spoken face to face and actually talked it over but from what I gathered she did genuinely just want to keep genetics available and don't forget that is a huge trust from her to me as well not to do anything untoward, not that I would, but it requires her to have a lot of faith in my doing the right thing by her entire boy too.

It won't be a case of co ownership, I will own him, I will just allow him to be available to her for stud duties. I don't want to make any money off him but if he turns out to be excellent conformation it would be a huge waste for him to not continue in her lines. Again this was all just phone talk, we have to get much deeper into it face to face.

I am taking all the advice in, but I do want to get more details from her.

Donatella don't let your heart rule your head. There is no way I would buy the pup unless I owned it outright. You have had some very good advice from some very knowledgeable breeders in this thread, please read it carefully.

I was going to say the exact same thing stans mum. I know you love this puppy Donatella but this co ownership thing doesn't sound very fair to me & I wouldn't be entering into it at all.I am not an experienced breeder but you

would be surprised how many "lovely little puppies" you could fall in love with with a lot less baggage than this one if you bide your time & keep looking. That's if you can't own him outright.

And I will say wait and really say what the breeder is like- this may be a very genuine case of the breeder wanting to keep genetics available but not being able to do it themselves.

I agree.

It could work out just fine.

I know a number of breeders who have puppies out with other families that they have on breeding rights and it's worked well for all involved.

I definitely wont make any decisions until I have spoken face to face and actually talked it over but from what I gathered she did genuinely just want to keep genetics available and don't forget that is a huge trust from her to me as well not to do anything untoward, not that I would, but it requires her to have a lot of faith in my doing the right thing by her entire boy too.

It won't be a case of co ownership, I will own him, I will just allow him to be available to her for stud duties. I don't want to make any money off him but if he turns out to be excellent conformation it would be a huge waste for him to not continue in her lines. Again this was all just phone talk, we have to get much deeper into it face to face.

I am taking all the advice in, but I do want to get more details from her.

Yep fair enough, good luck tomorrow, maybe make a list of questions you want to ask and come back and ask the people in the know here. Just don't make a rash decision based on how cute he is...cause lets face it, he's gunna be cute :)

Guest donatella

Well after all of that I met some beautiful puppies, a little boy and girl. They do say that a puppy picks its owner and when I walked in there the little boy who I originally wanted wasn't interested in me at all but the little girl came up and crawled on my lap and kept licking me. She was the sweetest little thing, she wouldn't leave my side even though my mum was there as well, she didn't even say hello to her, she just wanted to sit with me.

The little boy was too busy trying to hump his mum the whole time. So now i'm torn, I've always wanted a boy and a girl. The boys have bigger coats and I just want one of each but this little boy and I clearly aren't a match at all even though he is stunning.

I am still thinking about it though as I'm not jumping into getting a bitch just because she sat on my lap, I have to think the whole process over again.

Guest donatella

At this stage she's not really show potential, a gorgeous pet, but she wouldn't get too far in the ring (but these pups do change and she could fill out nicely in a few months). I've never showed, I wouldn't know where to start, i'm best of getting a pet first and foremost I think.

Just a suggestion... not saying you ought to.

Why not consider a young adult pom being retired to a good pet home by a registered breeder? We've always got our pet tibbies that way.

Presently there's a 2 yr old girl called Maddie, available from a NSW registered breeder (if the DOL notice is still up to date).

BTW, our adopted tibbies came from NSW. In our case, the breeder was spot on in how she described their natures. We've always had 2 girls.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/pomeranian.asp

Edited by mita

Guest donatella

I don't mind the adult stage but I actually LOVE the puppy stage. Pom pups are the cutest things ever and oh so much fun! I look forward to having puppy breath on my face again, its my favourite part, pardon all the mess on the tiles during toilet training :laugh:

Big big decision. I think though something is just holding me back and I don't know what it is. I just always wanted a boy and Poms are pretty easy to come by and I'm happy to wait for the right puppy I don't want to jump at the first one even though she was the sweetest thing ever. I'll have to sleep on it I think hmmm.

I don't mind the adult stage but I actually LOVE the puppy stage. Pom pups are the cutest things ever and oh so much fun! I look forward to having puppy breath on my face again, its my favourite part, pardon all the mess on the tiles during toilet training :laugh:

Big big decision. I think though something is just holding me back and I don't know what it is. I just always wanted a boy and Poms are pretty easy to come by and I'm happy to wait for the right puppy I don't want to jump at the first one even though she was the sweetest thing ever. I'll have to sleep on it I think hmmm.

Righto... you really love the puppy stage & are realistic about what comes with it. So sweet about the puppy breath. :)

I think you're wise to take all the time you need in making a decision.

Guest donatella

The breeder doesn't have time to show at the moment hence she is getting rid of this litter otherwise she was going to keep them both and show the boy herself. I am interested, but can't promise much with my job and shift work I don't have every dog show off :(

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a showie, and I don't understand a lot of it, so correct me if I'm way off

But am I the only one that finds it weird that this breeder would be willing to sell a pup on breeders terms to someone who is new to the showing world an isn't able to commit 100%, in return for a few breedings from him? I mean he might not even get titled....like I said correct me if I'm wrong, but I just figure (from her perspective) if she doesn't have time to title this guy, but she wants a litter from him, why not sell him to someone who is 100% committed to titling him

Nothing against you Don, I see where you're coming from because I know what its like to do shift work

Guest donatella

Showing isn't the be all and end all of a well bred dog. She'd much rather carry his good genetics on in her lines to get more like him then get a titled dog, particularly because she isn't even showing herself at the moment.

Surely having the ability to keep an excellent stud in your lines to continue with show quality pups is much more important then showing?

Guest donatella

Do what your heart and head tell you, sounds like your not going to jump into anything without thinking twice so whatever you decide will be right.

Yep, i'm definitely following my heart and my heart today told me to sleep on it and see what I thought tomorrow :) I am happy to wait for the perfect pup and doesn't have to be a showie but I am very fussy.

Showing isn't the be all and end all of a well bred dog. She'd much rather carry his good genetics on in her lines to get more like him then get a titled dog, particularly because she isn't even showing herself at the moment.

Surely having the ability to keep an excellent stud in your lines to continue with show quality pups is much more important then showing?

Well that's just it I don't know much about showing, but I'm just thinking that for her lines, isn't it better to see that Ch next to the dogs name?

I might be totally way off the mark and I'm not having a go at the breeder, but if someone could explain that situation to me that would be great!

Guest donatella

She doesn't breed and sell to the public (generally) she only breeds to get herself dogs. I walked in today to a houseful of poms :laugh:

She is selling these guys because personal circumstances have changed for at least a few months and she has to downsize her pack, including these guys how are now 3 months old and she was going to keep the whole time.

No point in having a stud with a Ch next to its name if you sell it to a show home and they own it outright and you don't get to use his good bloodlines. Her aim was to keep him, show him and get his titles (hopefully) and stud him, but if he produces excellent puppies like himself then you'd hope to get some more little show hopefuls for the ring.

I understand where she's coming from but i'm not good at explaining and i'm not up in the show world either. Hopefully someone can explain.