Recommended Dslr For Beginner

Embellish

HI Guys,

I have been thinking of getting myself a new camera. In the past I have used a compact camera - so this will be my venture into the world of DSLR. I have been admiring everyone's wonderful photography, and have decided to have a go myself. I am wanting a camera that I will not need to upgrade for at least several years - if needed, but still relatively user-friendly for beginners. The shots I am interested in taking are of course ones of my dogs, portrait and also action shots, pics of the kids at sport and general family stuff. Your reccommendations would be much appreciated. I did visit our local camera house yesterday but the salesman who was nice enough just pointed me in the direction of their deals. He reccommended the Canon EOS 600D (or the Nikon 3200), which are currently on sale and come with two lenses, bag, memory card etc. The canon was $1199 and the Nikon $1299. As I have no idea what lenses or camera I should get, I wasn't sure if I was wasting my money etc. I dont mind spending the money, just want to make sure I get what I need, I also wouldn't mind buying a used camera, as there are lots on ebay, but would a used camera be a risk due to damage, dust etc??

Any reccommendations would be great :)

I just had a play with the Canon 600D last week - it's quite nice :thumbsup:

Pretty much any of the entry level dslrs from Canon or Nikon will give you plenty of things to learn and keep you shooting great results for a good while. It will come down to your budget and which brand/model you personally like better - you can't go too wrong so don't worry too much!

If you buy used, just buy from someone with a good reputation. Look here or POTN for Aussie sellers or even ebay.

I still have and adore my Canon 40D - and it's several generations old.

Thanks for your replies. The 650D they had for $200 extra. Maybe I will go with your advice and look at a second hand one, just need to do my homework, plenty on Ebay - will check them out - and look at POTN ( once I figure out what that stands for!!)