85mm F/1.4

Clicking Mad

hey

I said I'd practise with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 lens for a week (it's been at least 2 if not 3 now) and do a review

anyway, I find this a little tricky because everyone has different needs, but I'll just give my general thoughts and add some pics :)

general feel: I most enjoy taking my camera out'n'about to the park (parks/beaches) with my dogs, I often walk there and back with at least 2 dogs, and felt this lens was heavier than I was comfortable with, not overly so, but I'd be less inclined to take it for that reason ... having said that, I specifically chose it the other day (after working with it for the few weeks, I felt more comfortable choosing it)

it took a bit of getting used to such a shallow depth of field for it's length, I love shooting wide-open but found that undoable with white dogs in the sun, Chester and Lotus were often overexposed in these circumstances

nice portrait lens

7918459262_34c974a7f4_z.jpg

@ f/5.0 ISO400 mid-morning light

7918458458_e1a709136a_z.jpg

same as above @ f/1.4

7936989378_44c077f12a_z.jpg

@ f/1.4 ISO800 late evening (sun had definitely gone down)

action?

7936987686_50d2aee823_z.jpg

same evening @ f/1.4 ss 1/640 ISO800

7936988462_ce6faecf61_z.jpg

same evening @f/1.4 ss 1/1000 ISO800

7970434934_8f1288e8f1_z.jpg

early evening @f/2.0 ISO200 (remember I mentioned chopping off the dogs legs with this lens?)

7970434480_d2faa91536_z.jpg

same early evening @f/2.0 ss 1/8000 ISO200

eta: hmm no Saxon pics, that would be the weight issue, he can be a bit of a handful and taking the heavier camera/lenses to the park with him is not something we are up to as yet :)

of course I have loads more pics ... and will upload some more as soon as I sort them out properly

any questions? comments? or your 85mm lens pics? feel free :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for this, CM :D

I have been contemplating the Nikon 85mm 1.8 even more after speaking to a couple of photographers that swear by it.

ATM I am loving using my 105mm more and more, but would love the shorter focal length of the 85mm.

Would love to see more, of course.

I have been contemplating the Nikon 85mm 1.8 even more after speaking to a couple of photographers that swear by it.

ATM I am loving using my 105mm more and more, but would love the shorter focal length of the 85mm.

yeh, prior to the past few weeks (and even inbetween) the 105mm has been my choice, or I go wide with the 35mm - those 2 are by far my favs atm

more will be coming as it seems I lied and do have some Saxon shots! just may take me a while

revjo: I think I'd prefer a 135mm length over 85mm actually, was thinking of a prime 200mm (but don't want to think about it too much or it may end up here lol)

Love em all, another Lens to put on my wish list. :laugh:

I am loving my 100mm Marco so far it is really versatile but like Huga said it would be nice to have slightly shorter focal length.

DWI have this lens for $751

Look forward to more shots.

Which Camera did you use?

Once I order the adaptor I can try it out and post some pics.

look forward to them :)

Love em all, another Lens to put on my wish list. :laugh:

I am loving my 100mm Marco so far it is really versatile but like Huga said it would be nice to have slightly shorter focal length.

DWI have this lens for $751

Look forward to more shots.

Which Camera did you use?

thanks, been using it on the Canon50D

The photos you've captured are stunning CM, gorgeous portrait lens!

thanks!

What's it like for action?

um, pretty good I think, I keep trying it out in difficult situations, but I thought on a nice sunny early evening @f/2 it worked well (the last shot of Chester there, I have a few more in that series I'll try and get up soon) :) might even be better than the 105mm at least in terms of speed of focussing, but it's hard to say really, I also got some ok ones @ f/4.0 if I remember correctly

Awesome, I had a good go the other day with the 100mm the dogs running etc and was wrapped with it. Kirislin had said to me she loved hers for action and she was right. Im still looking forward to some nicer weather here, our good days are few and far between. Its only got to get better I guess! :laugh:

The photographer that shot our wedding mentioned that as 1 of his favourite lenses. Sad that nearly 3 years later I can remember discussing lenses with him during our photos, lol.

7985006774_b9a63ceac3_z.jpg

7985006550_b6da2ab31e_z.jpg

7984997325_76122efe9c_z.jpg

@ f/1.4 ss 1/800 ISO800 (this was from the later evening shoot, the sun had gone down, actually I remember I'd gotten there at a good time, but got interrupted when the sun was shining nicely by a rogue black labx youngster, when he'd gone the light was gone ... oh well) ... you may notice particularly with that last shot that f/1.4 is probably too much, Lotus' eye is pretty much the only thing in focus

as it turned out the focus hasn't been working for me, that shot I was talking about that I had more in the series (Chester shaking/returning the frisbee) ... well the rest have missed focus, that must have been the lucky one ... and at the beach this morning, focussing at distance was poor for me, it's possible I wasn't on my game since the other lenses produced a lot more than usual missed focuses too, but the shots that required closer focus points worked ok? ... anyway

7985006964_462b091a22_z.jpg

@ f/4.0 ss 1/2000 ISO800 same evening as above before the black labx interrupted us and the sun was above the horizon

and just because another couple - from the sunnier/earlier evening :)

7984996887_6285805824_z.jpg

@f/2.0 ss1/8000 ISO200

7985006050_55e79e8c49_z.jpg

@f/1.4 ss 1/1250 ISO200

I'm not sure I like the editing on this next one, but anyway, Saxon :)

7985042144_ea7ce50f66_z.jpg

@f/4.0 ss 1/250 ISO800

Thanks for the comparisons, CM. Really interesting! I would never shoot at 1.8 if I could help it, although sometimes it's necessary in dark churches etc.

My 105mm is slow, way too slow to use for anything that moves. It just hunts too much. By the looks of things, the 85mm is better.

That's awesome! I'm hanging out for one of the canon 70-200L series, probly the f4 but in the meantime hubby wants me to get a 70-300 cheapie so I've got a bit of extra reach for whales next time we go. Lens are very confusing to me, I'm looking at THIS one, for a cheap one it has reasonable reviews.

Ok, just hit buy on the 85mm 1.8G Eeeeeep!! Haven't bought a new lens in forever. So excited!

excitement plus!! I love the time between hitting the buy button "what have I done ... oh well, it's too late ... oh goody, a new lens" to the time it arrives on the doorstep, all that potential :laugh: I'm sure you'll do well with it :)

tlc: my most reliable lens is the 70-200mm f/4 mainly saved for beach trips

oh and speaking of the 85mm and the beach, I did take it to the beach last week, hmm where are those images?

found one :)

7985098375_c4f75b0bef_z.jpg

Canon 50D 85mm @f/2.5 (seeing trying off wide-open lol) ss 1/8000 ISO200

and a couple more just uploaded to flickr for here

8001861913_b606b5dfa9_z.jpg

50D 85mm @f/2.0 ss 1/8000 ISO200

8001861683_b9932b3abb_z.jpg

50D 85mm f/2.5 ss 1/8000 ISO200

:D

CM is your 70-200 the canon version? Is it IS or non? I'm still tossing up between the two but don't think I'll need IS for action shots which is what I'll use it for mainly. Otherwise I'll use a tripod.

Great shots, love love love the one of Lotus!

CM is your 70-200 the canon version? Is it IS or non? I'm still tossing up between the two but don't think I'll need IS for action shots which is what I'll use it for mainly. Otherwise I'll use a tripod.

Great shots, love love love the one of Lotus!

thanks, it's her 8th b'day today :D

canon non-IS :)