Rehoming A Pedigree Dog

Pointer_Lover

Old member here and previous reg breeder/exhibitor/rescue person. If you know who I am please don't post identifying details publicly.

Due to some unfortunate life circumstances that happened suddenly and are beyond my control I need to rehome one of my dogs. I have three beautiful dogs and can keep two dogs and have had to make a choice to keep the older two who wouldn't cope with rehoming so well. So save your horrible comments, I've seen it all on here over the years and am not interested. I am the person in the best position to decide what happens here, end of story. After many months of soul searching this is the conclusion I have come to.

The dog was recently desexed in preparation for rehoming. I kept him entire only for exhibiting purposes. His breeder knows and is helping look for homes. She knows just how much I adore this dog. He is a beautiful gun dog who has just turned 4 and there is no rescue group for this breed in my state. The rehoming isn't urgent, at least not in the next 3 months and he will only go to the very best home which I will check out myself. However I am concerned about lack of response to advertising so far. He's not a genuine rescue case (well not rescue as I know it to be anyway) so I'm after suggestions on where to advertise him that will attract responsible and loving pet owners. I would prefer he be rehomed locally as I consider any rehoming to be initially a trial until everyone is happy, and flying dogs back and forth if things don't work out is expensive and not in the best interest of the dog.

Is it worth speaking to breed rescues in other states to see if they have had any enquiries from people who may be local to you??? Long shot I know, but you never know if there isn't a breed rescue in your state maybe there are some people enquiring out of state.

It's worth a try! I will enquire.

Is he advertised on petrescue? A rescue group might list him there on your behalf. There is also some great info on there on how to advertise.

You might also want to add some info on pointer personalities - most people don't know what pointers are and what a gun dog is.

Is he advertised on petrescue? A rescue group might list him there on your behalf. There is also some great info on there on how to advertise.

You might also want to add some info on pointer personalities - most people don't know what pointers are and what a gun dog is.

Good point, but I'd actually rather he be rehomed with someone who does have an idea.

Ask someone you trust in the rescue forum to look over the ad. Sometimes the wrong picture or description can cause problems.

To be honest, as someone who has advertised rescue Salukis and Afghans, I think the adult dogs section here on DOL is the best place if you are looking for a breed knowledgable owner. The only other exception may be the noticeboards of obedience clubs, especially those who do gundog activities. I would also see if gundog people will share his picture on FB among their doggie friends.

Everything else (gumtree, supermarket noticeboard, trading post) you'll get an awful lot of unsuitable stuff to sift through.

Sometimes it takes time.

Edited to fix punctuation

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Personally I would put an ad in Saturday's Courier Mail - in the weekend shopper - if you are anywhere near Brisbane. I used to advertise all my rescues there, for good response. That was a while ago. It is not that expensive, from memory, and lots read it.

I would maybe try gumtree too.

Advertise in your local paper, whichever one has pet ads in, if you want a home close by.

Do a home visit with the dog just once before you send him to his new home. Meaning take him there & home again & then if you are happy with the people, conditions etc, take him back to them in a few days for a trial.

Genuine people are happy with this & the dog is not taken from your home by total strangers.

Also local shops if they have an advertising board.

I will ask around :-)

When I had a slightly older pup to rehome I used gumtree and was just SUPER careful with vetting people and made sure he had enough money on him that it turned the idiots away but not so much that it would scare people off!

Sadly older pointers can be harder to home and it can take some time to find the right home!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/rehoming_your_pet/

pet rescue has some really good advice on how to go about this.

The first page is asking do you really have to - you could skip that one, I'm willing to accept this is something you've already thought through.

The next pages go through how to rehome. You've started on the right track with desexing. I would second their recommendation about setting a fee, and why.

And the rest of the website shows what kind of information is useful for people looking for dogs. You might be able to find a rescue member local to you on that site who could list your dog for you.

I'd consider putting up a page with a photo at your local vets' notice boards and maybe pet supplies shops too. You know the ones with tear off contact details along the bottom. If someone has just PTS their dog - they may be looking for another, or if they already have one they like and you know they take it to the vet when it needs cos they're in there - they may consider adopting a second one.

And I'd ask the breeder to ask the breed club to send out an email to their contact list on your behalf also.