Any Way To Know What Pups Will Grow The Biggest As Adults

mini girl

I breed miniature poodles and dad of my current litter is only a touch over 13" at the shoulder but the mum is top height 15" at shoulder we have a litter of 5 all going well - have a request from a lovely new owner to be for a big one - one that will grow as big as mum - so far only one pup is bigger than the rest but he is not the one he has ordered - he would like the darkest boy who so far looks beautiful. Pups are 3 weeks next tuesday -he asked if there is any way you can tell how big the pup will be as an adult - have had litters before from the same mating and they do vary a bit in size as adults some bigger like mum some smaller like dad and some inbetween. Also not always the biggest pup ends up the biggest adult - some say look at the size of the paws but they all seem to have pretty similar size paws - seem to remember someone saying once to measure some part of the leg but can't remember what part. Does anyone have any idea just how to judge at this age what they will be like size wise as adults or am I asking too much?

Cant comment about Poodles in particular, but in my breeds I've found that they pretty much all even out in the end. Even the runt of the litter tends to catch up eventually.

Also you have to bear in mind that desexing can change growth patterns too, so if they plan to desex that will affect the outcome.

I guess you are talking about the growth plate. Not sure that would help you a lot.

One thing you absolutely cannot tell in a baby is how tall it will grow. You also have no idea on how much bone and substance they will have. The basic structure at 8 weeks is what they will be as adults but size is in the lap of the gods.

Yes thanks for that always thought it was so and told buyer this but sure he will love his pup anyway - he is buying him as a pet. Thought it worth a try - I usually advise desexing at 6 months feel in a mini poodle that is not going to effect its growth by much.

One thing you absolutely cannot tell in a baby is how tall it will grow. You also have no idea on how much bone and substance they will have. The basic structure at 8 weeks is what they will be as adults but size is in the lap of the gods.

Absolutely agree 100%.

Yes thanks for that always thought it was so and told buyer this but sure he will love his pup anyway - he is buying him as a pet. Thought it worth a try - I usually advise desexing at 6 months feel in a mini poodle that is not going to effect its growth by much.

I have standard poodles and often get the "we want a really big dog..." or "we want a small standard..." I tell people (nicely) that I can only guarantee that they will get a %100 standard poodle from health tested parents and that I do my very best to make sure all pups are healthy, happy and well adjusted. It's worked out so far and everyone is happy.

Weird isnt it.

Not even the breeder knows how big they will grow or for that matter which will really turn out to be the best of the litter.

Can only do an (we hope) educated guess.

What I dont think is fair, if when we get it wrong we cannot call the new owner of the pet we sold that turned out to be the "show" quality one after all for it to be returned and give them their money back or exchange the pet quality one. Yet how many times have we heard the purchaser of a main registered pup told they are entitled to exchange or refund if the mistake is the other way around?

Surely it should work both ways? :rofl:

Edited by asal

there are a few growth charts in our breed that help you to at least have a more than educated guess as to which ones are going to be too big or not make size.

Anything like that in your breed online anywhere?

I have always been very thankful that the breeders of my two keep extensive records on puppies size up until they leave home and onto maturity for the ones they keep. It all adds to the data so you can get a good idea about what is happening.

trouble is the biggest pup in a litter at 8 weeks can end up the smallest at adulthood.

I will never forget giving the tiny to my friend as a pet, keeping the one three times her sized

then by 18 months and the "tiny " already desexed so what do they turn out? mine made 1.3 kg hers grew to 3 kg