Rspca Bundaberg Break In

Squidgy

Sounds like these shelters really need to beef up their security. It simply should not be possible for anyone to just wander in and let animals out of pens.

One report said that these girls were "known to the shelter" which sounds like there is some background to all this.

So why havent they done anything about their security? Must be pretty sloppy if some 10 year olds can break in.

The video says that the fence was cut. What else should they do? Electrify the fences?

They have CCTV of the shelter.

There is no mention of whether there is an intruder alarm on the premises, but even if there was, it would likely only be on the admin buildings, as they are generally movement activated, and there would be false alarms all the time when the animals move around. The noise of the siren would also be extremely distressing to the animals.

ETA - I am responding to all the mentions of poor security, not just the two that I have quoted - I was too lazy to go back and find them all

Edited by j

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a proven link has there not, between children who abuse and torture animals, and their propensity for turning out to be sociopaths....

There has been a proven link has there not, between children who abuse and torture animals, and their propensity for turning out to be sociopaths....

:( Lets hope it is not going to be the case when these girls have kids themselves...... and judging by the way they are being raised with no discipline or boundaries....I say that would be sometime in the next 5-7years :(

Or is it that kids born with sociopathic tendencies like to torture and harm animals?

Chicken and egg scenario....very sad and scary. To think little girls could be like that.

It is most frustrating that companies have to continually upgrade their security because other people cannot / do not take responsibility for their actions or those they are responsible for.

This is particularly in the case of RSPCA having to spend what is no doubt hundreds of thousands of dollars around the country on security - NOT on saving animals because some idiots breed without so much as a care factor beyond the bonk!

I used to work for a company who ran tips (you know - the dump) and we had to continually upgrade security as kids would break in a cause chaos. Damaging equipment, smashing windows on the Donga's and putting themselves at considerable risk of injury and disease. And yet - it was OUR problem???? The dump people - rubbish...........not even a shop!!

How about we go back to a time when people kept their fingers to themselves and we could all save a fortune on fences, alarms, locks, wire, etc - which as Midol said - are pretty much useless to anyone sufficiently determined!! (Child or adult)

Ok - off soap box now. Makes my blood boil!banghead.gifflame.gificon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by colliehound

From when I have been there, they have padlocked gates. That would be enough to deter me I suppose. I guess if you really want to get in somewhere you find a way.

I wish they could afford to put an inspector on locally. We have no local RSPCA inspector that can investigate cruelty complaints on other properties. Unless its changed very recently and I didn't know about it. I know about 18 months ago I complained about some neglected animals and was told they don't have a local inspector.

I wish they could afford to put an inspector on locally. We have no local RSPCA inspector that can investigate cruelty complaints on other properties. Unless its changed very recently and I didn't know about it. I know about 18 months ago I complained about some neglected animals and was told they don't have a local inspector.

Well said, Lollipup. The law about animal cruelty carries possible criminal penalties. it shouldn't be left to a charity to do. There should be public service-employed inspectors whose job it should be... like we have a police service to administer the criminal law. Fat chance, tho', in a time when the existing public service is being cut to the bone.

But I think somewhere in the Q'ld animal welfare law, it says that, not only the RSPCA, but also the police & officers from the Dpt of Primary Industries can be called in to cases of animal cruelty.

Edited by mita

Although these kids did not abuse or torture these animals. What they did wasn't good but they didn't knowingly abuse or toture them.

Well they may not have tortured the dogs and cats but they bleepingly knowingly caused serious stress and alarm and their rough handling certainly would have compounded that. They displayed a very nasty mind set and one wonders what else they could be capable of ...

From when I have been there, they have padlocked gates. That would be enough to deter me I suppose. I guess if you really want to get in somewhere you find a way.

I thought Amanda Yates was the local inspector in Bundaberg. She's the inspector that's always pictured and mentioned in the News-Mail for RSPCA stories and has been for the last couple of years at least.

Edited by HollyMilo

I thought Amanda Yates was the local inspector in Bundaberg. She's the inspector that's always pictured and mentioned in the News-Mail for RSPCA stories and has been for the last couple of years at least.

Now you mention it the name rings a bell. I think they only put her on in the last 18 months though. I think I remember it being in the paper. Thanks for reminding me :)

Now you mention it the name rings a bell. I think they only put her on in the last 18 months though. I think I remember it being in the paper. Thanks for reminding me :)

I only remember seeing her in the paper because she used to be on the RSPCA Animal Rescue program :)

Although these kids did not abuse or torture these animals. What they did wasn't good but they didn't knowingly abuse or toture them.

You don't call dragging dogs around by their legs abuse??? Really? Separating 2 day old kittens from their mother and attepting to sell them is not abuse??? Sure about that?

You don't call dragging dogs around by their legs abuse??? Really? Separating 2 day old kittens from their mother and attepting to sell them is not abuse??? Sure about that?

If an ADULT was seen doing these things everyone would be in uproar..... seen as these girls got banned previously they knew what they were doing so the issue about not knowing right from wrong and them only being kids doesn't even come into this equation

When I first saw the heading, I thought they had let the animals out to 'save them', but then when you read and see how they treated the pup, it seems they were just up to mischief.

Perhaps it might be good for them to do community service into what shelters do so they can understand? I don't think punishing them is going to help.

What the hell..? Unbelievable.. what could have driven them to do something like this. If they hadn't been handling the animals in an abusive manner and hadn't trashed the RSPCA I'd be inclined to think that maybe their imaginations had run away with them a bit (as happens when you are 10) and they were trying to free the animals from 'prison' or something similar. I really don't think that's the case here though! Very scary.. I hope somebody steps in to help these girls as they obviously have problems.

I'm impressed and amazed that the RSPCA was able to find all of the released animals so quickly.. especially the cats! Poor things would have been terrified. Well done :)