Best Ways To Build Muscle

First question - why does he need to be more muscular??

Our sports all involve pulling loads. My girl is quite skinny and i think it would do her a world of good to become more muscular which would in turn make pulling easier

If you want to develop weight pulling muscle, my advice would be to start her pulling lighter weights and work up.

However, short of heavy duty weight pulling, she'll stay lighter framed. Aren't most sledding huskies built that way???

Remember that bulky muscle heats more and cools less. Most endurance animals are all muscle but not bulky muscle. Heavy draft breeds are built completely differently. The Iditarod dogs aren't bulky.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yes most racing huskies are quite lean and long.

Our weight pull attempts haven't been great so far so I'm hoping that helping her to build her strength and muscle will help us out at events.

Just looking at alternatives to simple pulling so that our training will help condition her as best I can.

Good to read that we are doing most of what is being suggested here :)

Hmm, for humans

it goes something like a few reps with heavy weight to build muscle size and strength eg two sets of 5 reps of the heaviest thing you can manage minus one unit. 30 second rest between sets.

And for endurance and pretty muscles - many reps of light weights eg what brick layers do.

so 20 reps of something quite light and easy. 30 seconds rest and then repeat the 20 lifts...

For rehab, building muscle tone and strength - what Ness said. Walking in water knee to chest deep - supports the joints but the water provides lots of resistance. Walking up and down hills is like doing the lifting weights, with gravity helping up the resistance. Walking into the wind...up a hill, in water - flowing down the hill....

I don't know how you ask a dog if it feels "easy" now ie time to increase the weight.

Genetics plays a huge role and some times no matter what you do, you are not going to build mucle on a dog, you can make it leaner and fitter.

Some tips would be to do road work on different surfaces at least three times a week, mine do 1 hour three nights a week. They have a free run a few times a week and this involves running around the paddocks like lunatics. Swimming once a week is great.

Use MusclePro after the dogs have exercised, you'll see a big difference in a couple of weeks