Local Council And Dogs

cowanbree

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well personally I think forget about everything else until they up the education and promotion of what being a responsible dog owner entails and enforce the laws.

Make sure every person in the shire who has a dog has them chipped, registered and that they are keeping them in a secure area suitable for their breed and size, that they know they cant walk them off lead without consequences unless they are in certain approved areas . If they want to then provide off leash parks, poo bags and bins etc great stuff but almost every single day here someone is upset about someone else's dog whch rushes at them or causes them or their dogs grief when they go for walks etc and for me this is the absoloute biggest issue.

Put in an off leash park, bins and bags , even offer training and that will provide a service to a handful of people and it wont make any difference to how the ones who need to get it right and are not will continue.

If a dog gets picked up off the street give them one free ride home and work with the owner to work out how the dog wont get out again .

Work on prevention of problems rather than trying to play around with feel good bandaids.

I agree Steve. It is just basic common sense, get what is already in place working really well.

Regular free micro chipping would be great and free chipping for those with limited finances.

I was speaking with a ranger from the US at the G2Z summit. He runs a huge open admission facility which was high kill. They now have computer’s in their trucks, once a dog is scanned the chip contact details and address comes up on the spot. They then take the dogs home and have a chat with the owners/offer support.

This system has seen a massive reduction in the number of dogs impounded at this facility.

It is a lengthy, time consuming and expensive procedure to “process” a lost dog and kennel them. Doing everything possible to avoid impounding a dog makes sense. Not sure if councils would be too happy though as they miss out on the $$$

Where does the money come from for all this when people scream about rego fees as it is. Animal control is a huge slice of an Council budget.

My understanding (from the information that my council sent to me when I requested it) is that registration fees should be providing these things to support animal ownership. Animal control (as in the ranger who deals with complaints, picking up lost/stray, providing pounds, etc) comes from rates as do all other community related services. That's been the big irk I've had in my municipality, they publish that registration fees are paid to do all these things but they do none of them and they don't even provide any real animal management support (which all rate payers are contributing to).

Where does the money come from for all this when people scream about rego fees as it is. Animal control is a huge slice of an Council budget.

Is it? pounds and shelters are run on the smell of an oily rag. There is money from rego and chipping (chipping is $40 though the chip only costs council a couple of dollars) a huge amount of money also comes in via fines and fees.

I have seen people pay a fortune on impound fees for their dogs.

I would like to see the council advertise the local obediance club. Its a cheap way for people to train their dog and also a way for people to learn not every dog is friendly even if yours is. I also think more education for kids about dog attacks would be great

Council cant advertise the local obedience club because it creates problems with accusations of drumming up business for one business in their town - they can refer the owners to training but they cant tell them who the trainers are or similar because if they miss one they are the poo.

Where do you think wages,infrastructure, vehicles and admin costs all come from? Animal Control costs money.

Just going door to door in any shire in any street would pay someone's wages and vehicle costs every day. They would either pick up fines or rego fees and at what cost is BSL and the life of a child or someone's pet due to owners who dont keep their dog's in secure yards ? The fees for life time registration in NSW goes to councils to enforce the laws - I pay money for all of my dogs to give them money to ensure other people do the same - it was the platform they used to bring it in and rather than driving around shopping centre car parks and fining people who over stay their spot for five minutes theycould take some of that and do what they promised to do. They have to attend anyway for barking dogs etc and they have to pick the dogs up and take em to the pound what's the differeence in infrastructure and admin to take it home and counsel the owner the first offence? Its the same person, the same vehicle, the same administration.

Surely allocating council land which is used only for a handful of people who want to run their dog's off leash , supplying poo bags because people dont want to have to carry them , ensuring everyone plays by the rules and fining those who dont requires more than simply ensuring they are more proactive and everyone is safe to walk their kids and their dogs around the steets?

Edited by Steve

Where do you think wages,infrastructure, vehicles and admin costs all come from? Animal Control costs money.

Just going door to door in any shire in any street would pay someone's wages and vehicle costs every day. They would either pick up fines or rego fees and at what cost is BSL and the life of a child or someone's pet due to owners who dont keep their dog's in secure yards ? The fees for life time registration in NSW goes to councils to enforce the laws - I pay money for all of my dogs to give them money to ensure other people do the same - it was the platform they used to bring it in and rather than driving around shopping centre car parks and fining people who over stay their spot for five minutes theycould take some of that and do what they promised to do. They have to attend anyway for barking dogs etc and they have to pick the dogs up and take em to the pound what's the differeence in infrastructure and admin to take it home and counsel the owner the first offence? Its the same person, the same vehicle, the same administration.

Surely allocating council land which is used only for a handful of people who want to run their dog's off leash , supplying poo bags because people dont want to have to carry them , ensuring everyone plays by the rules and fining those who dont requires more than simply ensuring they are more proactive and everyone is safe to walk their kids and their dogs around the steets?

A lot of councils DO take dogs home first go without impounding. I certainly do, and If I can't find the owners I drop them at the local vets where they can stay for up to three days before they have to go to the pound. Most go home before that point. I know my Council is not the only one to do that.

But yes; there are still plenty (especially rural) tHat don't.

A lot of councils DO take dogs home first go without impounding. I certainly do, and If I can't find the owners I drop them at the local vets where they can stay for up to three days before they have to go to the pound. Most go home before that point. I know my Council is not the only one to do that.

But when you take them home do you work with the owner to see why it happened and how to prevent it happening again?

But when you take them home do you work with the owner to see why it happened and how to prevent it happening again?

Yep - check out the fenceline, discuss exercise/training. If they don't know how he's getting out I suggest they stand out the front and call him to see if he 'shows' them by escaping to get to them.

Majority of the time it's a one-off accident of a child or tradie leaving the gate open though, as opposed to an escape artist dog.

Thanks! This thread is giving me lots of ideas - some couldn't be done simply because of legislation but lots are good. And it's nice seeing some of my own initiatives in here as ideals for people - I've just ordered 30kg worth of dog treats to give out to dog owners that I see walking their dogs on the leash/picking up their poo/clearly in control at the dog park etc

Edited by melzawelza

Yep - check out the fenceline, discuss exercise/training. If they don't know how he's getting out I suggest they stand out the front and call him to see if he 'shows' them by escaping to get to them.

Majority of the time it's a one-off accident of a child or tradie leaving the gate open though, as opposed to an escape artist dog.

If someone knows who Melzawelza really is then please nominate her so I can tell her in person how fantastic I thnk she is

www.mdbaawards.net.au

I would like to see the council advertise the local obediance club. Its a cheap way for people to train their dog and also a way for people to learn not every dog is friendly even if yours is. I also think more education for kids about dog attacks would be great

Council cant advertise the local obedience club because it creates problems with accusations of drumming up business for one business in their town - they can refer the owners to training but they cant tell them who the trainers are or similar because if they miss one they are the poo.

Well that's annoying. Ours is not for profit, took us ages to find it and I have got so many people to join who previously haven't trained their dogs as they can't afford the expense of for profit training.

If someone knows who Melzawelza really is then please nominate her so I can tell her in person how fantastic I thnk she is

www.mdbaawards.net.au

Yay! I dont know Melzawelza though I agree she is a star!

www.mdbaawards.net.au

I do and I will :thumbsup:

I just wish she was an ACO in my council area!!