First Show - Newbie

ruthjones

Hi,

Well I am a registered breeder and am about to take a few steps into the show ring, we are starting off with one pup in our local show.

It is the Burnie Agricultural show and we are on the 6th October.

I got our number back yesterday and a little info sheet etc, anyway, a total of 295 dogs entered, and my little miss Destiny is the only cocker spaniel (english) so now I am stressing even more because I will have no one to follow!

A few groups are on the day before, so I will spend the day watching (and stressing no doubt)

Destiny will be just over the three months of age criteria (whelped 2 July this year) so is in the baby puppy group.

Given how young she is, how much will really be expected of her? she walks on the lead, sort of, doesnt stay in the proper location yet and stacking, well, that is still a masterpiece yet to be discovered by us (probably moreso down to me not getting it quite right)

anyway, would love any advice! luckily I have a few generous souls that are willing to help me out, just not sure if they will be there on the day!

Ruth

If you let the steward know that it is your first time, they'll help you out and let the judge know you're a newbie. :) I'm very new to showing as well, and it made me feel a lot less nervous once they knew I was just a 'learner'.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me will be able to give you more advice. :)

Hi,

Well I am a registered breeder and am about to take a few steps into the show ring, we are starting off with one pup in our local show.

It is the Burnie Agricultural show and we are on the 6th October.

I got our number back yesterday and a little info sheet etc, anyway, a total of 295 dogs entered, and my little miss Destiny is the only cocker spaniel (english) so now I am stressing even more because I will have no one to follow!

A few groups are on the day before, so I will spend the day watching (and stressing no doubt)

Destiny will be just over the three months of age criteria (whelped 2 July this year) so is in the baby puppy group.

Given how young she is, how much will really be expected of her? she walks on the lead, sort of, doesnt stay in the proper location yet and stacking, well, that is still a masterpiece yet to be discovered by us (probably moreso down to me not getting it quite right)

anyway, would love any advice! luckily I have a few generous souls that are willing to help me out, just not sure if they will be there on the day!

Ruth

Hi,

She is a Baby......it's important for it to be fun and that she doesn't get a fright......it's ok if she is not perfect........

I've now attended my first few shows ever & it has mostly been a good experience! Definitely let the steward & judge know you are new. When I did this all bar one were lovely & helpful to me (the one judge who wasn't didn't look at my dog after I mentioned it & was quite rough with him, luckily I went back the next day & had a great experience so want to keep trying!). If there is anyone there you know or contacts (regardless of breed) use them, even if only to keep you calm & breathing!! The thing I'm going to try from now is taking my dog in the ring before judging starts so that I can get used to it & so can he - maybe it will calm the nerves!

Most importantly make it fun for pup & yourself!! Even if they don't like your pup you are taking home the best dog!!! oh & watch what is going on in the ring, then you'll have an idea of what to do & things to work on for the future.

I had my pup at the royal twice this week (talk about scary when you're new!). I went in with no expectation of him winning anything (which he didn't!) but each time we go in the ring I set myself some goals for improvement, & my boy was an angel he did everything for me better than he had before (I'm sure not even close to as good as those who have been handling for years, but I was so proud of how well he did given that it was our 4th show!!!)!

To the OP. The Gundog group in Tassie is really quite friendly. Most will give you a hand if you ask them nicely. If the Ghostwind Weis are there (they are entered) grab one of them and tell them I said you to ask them for a hand.

Shame you are so far away as I would love to help out. However a few things to remember.

1/Your pup is a baby puppy and most judges are good about this.

2/Don't expect perfect behaviour from her. However if she does behave pretend its because of your superior dog training skills.

3/If she does misbehave use the excuse of "Shes only a baby, Only entered her so she could get used to the ring"

4/Don't be too harsh on her if she does play up. You run the risk of making her resent the ring completely.Let her have a play-then she will be more likely to enjoy it when she gets older

5/Just watch a few breeds before yours to see what patterns the judge requests. Most judges will use the same pattern in the ring for all dogs they go over

6/By all means do tell the steward and judge it is your first show. Everyone has to have a first show at some point-even judges.

7/Remember that the judge is also a dog person who started right where you are starting.

8/the dog show judge can't send you to jail so don't be afraid of them.

9/ She is a dog. You are human. all can make mistakes. When I first started doing obedience it was explained as follows: The very fact that you and your pup communicate in different languages means even the best laid plans are doomed to fail.

10/ as it is baby puppy class there are no points to win as baby puppy are not eligible for challenges. Therefore as there are no points to win there is also nothing to lose

11/ have some treats- these are good for getting a frisky pup to settle or to walk on lead. Try small pieces of liver or schmakos broken into small pieces about the size of your thumbnail. I have even gone to the canteen and bought bacon or sausage to break up for them

And for yourself

Relax,and remember to breathe. If your nervous or edgey your pup will pick up on it and this could cause her to misbehave. Many deep breathes or as some use a red liquid (many call it Wine,rum or dutch courage-but not too much)

Be at the ring gate ready for your number to be called. But do not block the gate so others can get in and out of the ring. When they call your number let the steward know you are there and ready. Good time to let the steward know it is your first show.

Remember that your number will only be called three times. Miss it and you will be disqualified.

If anyone starts saying rude or nasty things about you or your pup just walk away and ignore them. Most likely they are just jealous of what you have

At the end of the day your pup is still the same dog as she was before the show.

Enjoy the day, you will find you will make some new friends (the enemies will come later when you win everything)

Have fun

The thing I'm going to try from now is taking my dog in the ring before judging starts so that I can get used to it & so can he - maybe it will calm the nerves!

be aware some clubs don't allow this and you will be told off!

Do they let you know if you aren't allowed? So far the few shows I've been to people have been in the ring beforehand and I haven't seen information to the contrary, but I hadn't gone to have a run around because I didn't know if I was allowed then others who were there said I could have.

Not all clubs will boot you off, but they'll certainly tell you pretty promptly if there IS a problem.

by usually calling out over the loud speaker to get out of the ring RIGHT NOW :laugh:

you do just laugh and move on

hint don't do it at any 3 day shows on the VIC/NSW border at Albury Wodonga