Memory Card & New Lens

tlc

Has anyone had any trouble with their computer not recognising the camera care or more so saying the card is corrupt and to reformat as soon as possible?

Tonight I was taking some photos of the moon with my el cheapo lens my Hubby just got me to tide me over till I can save for a real one, :laugh: Anyhoo, I had taken a few shots and downloaded them no worries, and then took some of the moon and when I put the card in the reader it gave me an error msg on the screen to say the card needed formatting although it said I could still get my pictures off but then reformat asap. The thing was it said no pics were found on the card.

So I plugged the camera in via the cord (which I never do) and the Mac did not show the camera and said no pictures found, so I was a little more than annoyed at that stage as I really wanted to see how the shots of the moon turned out with my cheapie! so a thought occured and i opened lightroom and there they were, not all showing up but I imported them and they all showed up. So I unplugged and reformatted the card.

Has anyone else ever had this happen or does anyone know why it happened? I had earlier pulled the card out of the card reader with out ejecting it and I am thinking this may be why? Thoughts anyone?

The only one single photo of the moon that I thought was 'just' passable.

file.jpg

Two of the others I had taken earlier before the problem with the card.

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

I am looking forward to having a bit more of a play and hope my cards not stuffed. :laugh:

What was the lens you got?

My mac says 'No camera found' when I hook my camera up, but my software finds the photos fairly quickly.

I've never had an issue with my cards, but I leave them in and plug in the camera instead! I've heard there are dodgy cards around though.

Fingers crossed it is fine from now on!

Nice shots! Love Bailey!

Its this SIGMA Lens.

I hope the cards not dodgy, I got it from HN and it wasn't a cheapie. Ive been using it since July with no trouble. Definatley fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

Thanks, Bailey is a sweet boy! :)

For the Nikon fans some bargains HERE

At this stage I think I have decided on the 70-200 f2.8L non IS, I'll probly change my mind again who knows. :laugh:

I know you can bugger up the card if you take it out of the camera while the camera's still turned on so I imagine it's the same thing if you take it out of a card reader without ejecting it first. I can't help with the computer not recognising the camera though as I haven't had any problems with using the Nikon software to transfer the images.

I really think/hope this is the case, stupidly I had the camera and the tripod set up outside in the freezing cold and about to shoot and then the camera tell me no card, derp, so I run back inside wading through a sea of dogs and just pull the card out of the reader, the error popped on the computer screen you know the one where it says bla bla bla card not ejected bla bla bla....... guess that bla bla bla should really be taken notice of!

.... guess that bla bla bla should really be taken notice of!

Don't know - an IT work colleague used to say things like that are like traffic lights, a general guide but not to be taken too seriously.

I do have a card "like this" and don't know why I just don't bin it and forget it. It always works eventually, but need to kid to it. Sometimes take the battery out of the camera and replace sorts it, but that's not convenient. And yes I think it mucks up more when I use a newish Sigma lens, but the lens is one made for SLR (not DSLR) and the auto focus will not work with it, so that might be part of the problem.

I've just bought a few of the cheap ($9) 8 gig SanDisk SD cards at Aldis - so far so good can't fault them, and good for HD video (Ultra not Supreme).

(My card that mucks up is CF not SD). (And I could never on pain of death hook a camera to a computer, not worth the risk).

I agree, I loathed having to plug camera into computer, I was very quick let me tell you that! :laugh: it was a CF card, never gave it a thought it could be a lens issue. I'm still hoping its a one off event, CF cards are too dam expensive to replace!

I only ever had one problem with a SD card and mostly I've only used really cheap ones till recently.

Another question, how many here format their memory card every time they have used it. I've gotten into the habit and have done it with this particular card since new tonight's the first time I took 3 lots of pics, downloaded the first two and it happened on the 3rd lot.

Edited by tlc

no problem with that gapvic, just takes lonher using the camera battery, and drains the battery - I have a firewire card reader and it downloads pronto.

Tlc - know that when I accidentally unplugged a harddrive before ejecting, it could then no longer be read by the computer (luckily I double u my external drives anyway), so imagine that yes it could trigger exactly the same thing with a card - think you should probably be OK in future but would reformat the card before using it, and just not do that again. I also reformat after each use of the card too.

TLC - every time I put a card in the camera I re-format, even if it has only had three shots on it from the previous use. I don't "know" that it is best practice, but it is how I was taught so I go with it.

Gapvic - plugging camera into computer is not a crime against electronics, but the camera is expensive and full of them, and the computer is subject to power surges or cuts, distant lightning strikes, hard-drive crash, whatever. This risk to a cameral costing say $1000-7000 whatever isn't worth playing roulette that it won't happen to me - stuff happens to everybody. And what does a card reader cost - about $10-15, maybe $35 tops. It's just basically a risk management decision, same as always carrying your camera in a bag or round your neck (not swinging it by the strap from one hand).

no problem with that gapvic, just takes lonher using the camera battery, and drains the battery - I have a firewire card reader and it downloads pronto.

Tlc - know that when I accidentally unplugged a harddrive before ejecting, it could then no longer be read by the computer (luckily I double u my external drives anyway), so imagine that yes it could trigger exactly the same thing with a card - think you should probably be OK in future but would reformat the card before using it, and just not do that again. I also reformat after each use of the card too.

Thank goodness you had copies, its the worst thing about digital storage, I heard someone say you need to replace all hard drive after 4 years because thats all the life span they have, :( don't know how true that is?

When you say the Mac cant see the camera, did you all download the software that came with your camera?

Yea I did but never use it, I didn't do it to begin with but then thought I might give it a try, but soon went back to lightroom, just couldn't get the hang of it. Maybe it doesn't like Macs, it didn't show anything up when I plugged the camera in. Although it pops up when I plug the ipad or iphone in.

Edited by tlc

When you say the Mac cant see the camera, did you all download the software that came with your camera?

Yea I did but never use it, I didn't do it to begin with but then thought I might give it a try, but soon went back to lightroom, just couldn't get the hang of it. Maybe it doesn't like Macs, it didn't show anything up when I plugged the camera in. Although it pops up when I plug the ipad or iphone in.

I downloaded it all, I have DPP and I use EOS Utility to download my photos.... When I plug camera into mac I get a pop up that says 'No camera found', then I open EOS Utility and his download and its all there. I never use DPP, I only use Lightroom.

I usually open the card icon when it pops on the screen open the folder where the photos are then copy and paste them into a folder, from there import to Lightroom. Don't know if that's the right thing to doubt it works for me.

Hubby bought himself a camera yesterday ( never thought I'd see the day) mainly for his telescope. so while he was at it he got me a new CF card, I only had one so it will be good to have two.