Early Tubal And Vasectomies.

Andisa

certainly removes the side affects of too early sterilization. I have heard of.

although it also removes any chance of a rethink down the track by either party if it turns out to be the best in the litter after all.

But then these days the atmosphere is against breeding of either pure or cross anyway so my misgivings are out of date these days.

if the lady who bred Bon Ami Picolo had not decided 4 years after I bought him that my little poodle had turned out a stunner and deserved his pedigree and registration papers I would never have been introduced to the world of pedigree dogs or people.

:rofl: come to think of it considering the stress thats involved maybe she didnt do me a favour after all :rofl:

long after pedigree dogs and societies are gone and the shelter people think they have eliminated the monsters they consider pure breeders are, there will the tens of thousands of purebred puppies (and every cross imaginable) being bred and exchanged behind closed doors.

just as is happening with the BSL breeds the noongs. sent it underground like in the days of prohabition havent they?

Although I see plenty of handwritten for sale signs at local shopping centres.

Edited by asal

Worth noting that the tubal ligation can be done during a Ceasar with virtually no extra time or expense.

Where do such bitches/dogs fit in the show ring? Are they considered neutered? Or is a hormonally intact dog complete with balls considered intact?

You would "assume" they would be considered desexed since they are unable to reproduce once they have had tubals/vasectomies but it would also go under the honesty of the owner to admit to the procedure being done...huge grey area for honesty. Unfortunately not all owners are honest enough to retire a dog once it has been desexed and will continue to show it anyway.

I just like the idea of puppies being able to develop naturally and prevent them from being bred..only real down fall is they will need a second surgery to finish the job later if the owner wants to have the dogs fully desexed. I already have one pup in the hands of a BYB and will not allow another to end up in the same situation again. I don't want to desex puppies but I am happy and comfortable to do the tubals/vasectomies.

If I was to chose the wrong pup(s) for myself - that's just bad luck and I can live with that.

Edited by Andisa

I have vasectomies and tubals done on my large breed pups before they go to new homes. Could not believe how quickly they recovered. When I picked them up from the vets it was like nothing had even been done. Vet said "keep them quiet" , yeah right :laugh: . And the incisions were tiny. As for showing, I rang Dogs QLD to enquire about showing a dog with a vasectomy (one I bred and the owner expressed interest in hvaing him shown) and it is completely allowable. He initially said no but I quoted the rules/regs on showing male dogs and it says nothing about vasectomies. He said he would ring me back. And he did and said that it was ok to show him (not that we did in the end anyway). So having said that I would assume a bitch who has had a tubal is allowed to be shown too.

I have vasectomies and tubals done on my large breed pups before they go to new homes. Could not believe how quickly they recovered. When I picked them up from the vets it was like nothing had even been done. Vet said "keep them quiet" , yeah right :laugh: . And the incisions were tiny. As for showing, I rang Dogs QLD to enquire about showing a dog with a vasectomy (one I bred and the owner expressed interest in hvaing him shown) and it is completely allowable. He initially said no but I quoted the rules/regs on showing male dogs and it says nothing about vasectomies. He said he would ring me back. And he did and said that it was ok to show him (not that we did in the end anyway). So having said that I would assume a bitch who has had a tubal is allowed to be shown too.

The grey area just got bigger, I suppose when the rules were written dogs were either entire or desexed - tubals and vasectomies are becoming more popular the rules should be updated to include other methods of sterilizing dogs...but it would still come down to honesty.

Good to know that your puppies had a fast recovery :D