Need A Printer

Airedaler

Hi All,

I am in the process of putting together a Year Book for our club. It is at the stage that I need to find some printers to obtain quotes for the printing etc..

Does anyone know of a reliable and reasonably priced printer preferably in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne? The book will only be a short run - a maximum of 150 copies I would imagine.

Thanks in anticipation

SueH

Try Snap Printing, they have branches everywhere.

Off Topic still exists but you have to have over 150 posts to see it.

Thanks Bundyburger, Snap @ Rowville do our quarterly magazine and I will have a quote from them but I need some others as well. There are also various other "instant printers" in the area but I would like to talk to a conventional printer as well. It may be that they will suggest I use the instant printers, just covering my options to get the best product possible.

I guess I have a way to go before I can post in Off Topic - should have kept my old ID

S

Edited by Airedaler

Try Snap Printing, they have branches everywhere.

Off Topic still exists but you have to have over 150 posts to see it.

Thanks Bundyburger, Snap @ Rowville do our quarterly magazine and I will have a quote from them but I need some others as well. There are also various other "instant printers" in the area but I would like to talk to a conventional printer as well. It may be that they will suggest I use the instant printers, just covering my options to get the best product possible.

I guess I have a way to go before I can post in Off Topic - should have kept my old ID

S

I put a post in "Off Topic" for you Airedaler. :)

"Experiencedfun" is asking what sort of format? in Off Topic.

It will be an A5 publication. Approximately 175 pages probably gloss with soft cover. Colour is our preference but it will depend on cost. I will have the material in PDF format (I'm using Publiher to put it together) and most if not all the photos (about 300 of them) will have been professionally worked to give best quality etc.

I'm hoping all will be ready for the printer by the end of this month or early in November.

SueH

And certainly, if it's in Publisher an offset printer (regular printer) will either not touch it or will charge you far more than you want to spend. Publisher isn't a publishing program. It's Word with textboxes. Printers hate Publisher.

A digital printer will work best for you. Just remember that most so-called digital printing machines are just fancy photocopiers. The printers will charge you by the page so you should be try to save money with your binding, paper and card for your cover. You'll need to specify paper. Are you looking for something like a Reflex copying paper or something nicer? Are you looking for just a staple binding or more of a book style? Are you looking for a glossy cover? If you can go in with an idea of what you want, you'll end up with a better product.

And certainly, if it's in Publisher an offset printer (regular printer) will either not touch it or will charge you far more than you want to spend. Publisher isn't a publishing program. It's Word with textboxes. Printers hate Publisher.

A digital printer will work best for you. Just remember that most so-called digital printing machines are just fancy photocopiers. The printers will charge you by the page so you should be try to save money with your binding, paper and card for your cover. You'll need to specify paper. Are you looking for something like a Reflex copying paper or something nicer? Are you looking for just a staple binding or more of a book style? Are you looking for a glossy cover? If you can go in with an idea of what you want, you'll end up with a better product.

Sheridan, all of your points have been covered in my planning. I have a sample of the type of book we want to publish but am open to suggestions from the professionals and will be guided by them. Unfortunately I know that most printers do not like Publisher but it is what I know and have and unfortunately I've not been able to readily access another program that is any better. Given that I am not about to spend a lot of $'ss on a program or on learning how to use it. I produce a more than adequate quarterly magazine using Publisher and it is printed by Snap who are quite happy with what I present them.

I have been given a couple of options here for printers which I will follow up. You may know what it is like to put something like this before a Committee for acceptance. Everyone knows a better way but no one wants to do the work. Hence my attempt to have quotes from off set printers as well as digital ones.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to my request.

Sue

Geez Sheridan Im glad you did - was like you were talking a whole new language to me .

Hope no one minds if I hijack this a a minute

What program do printers like?

What is the difference between digital and the other?

Edited by Steve

Geez I have a question for Sheridan too. My understanding is that before you get something printed it needs to be saved as a PDF. My ancient software (Word 3) won't allow me to do it. Is there anyway around this? Thanks

Geez I have a question for Sheridan too. My understanding is that before you get something printed it needs to be saved as a PDF. My ancient software (Word 3) won't allow me to do it. Is there anyway around this? Thanks

There are free PDF converters available, I can't look right now as all software sites are blocked on my work computer, but you should be able to google for a decent free one. CutePDF springs to mind?

There are free PDF converters available, I can't look right now as all software sites are blocked on my work computer, but you should be able to google for a decent free one. CutePDF springs to mind?

Thanks I will try to find something.

The difference between digital and "the other" is basically digital is a big computer, printing process all in one. Similar to your own desktop publishing setup with computer + printer only a lot bigger. "The other" is generally offset printing which is done on a printing press with special plates created for the various sections of the page. It is usually done in a 3, 4 or 5 colour process and takes more time and resources, hence the higher price. But overall better quality.

It's sounding more and more like a digital quick print place will be your best bet. As Sheridan was saying in an usual offset printing prepress (like the one I manage) we don't have publisher so would need a PDF supplied... And past experience with most Microsoft program's is that the PDFs will be rgb and low res if your using a freebie PDF writer. I think Dobsons in Sydney are one printer that would be able to process a publisher file for you, certainly PageSet would be able to produce a digital print from publisher as well.