Questions To Ask Potential Dog Trainer

ann21

Hi all,

I am looking to get my near 9 month old into some basic obedience classes. He has been to puppy preschool with a delta accredited trainer in Australia, is able to do the basic commands (sit, stand,down, leave it, etc) and is pretty well toilet trained (though I recently moved countries so some hiccups in this area right now). His recall is not very good and his heeling is non existent really (my fault for not practicing enough). I am going to observe a training class tmr and was wondering what I should be looking out for and what i should be asking the trainer? Training schools here are not very well regulated...it's hard to find an accredited trainer compared to in Australia. So far what I have thought of:

- How many years of experience training dogs?

- Any qualifications and what type? (the trainer I found uses positive reinforcement methods)

- Maximum size of class?

- Any off leash play during class time/ are dogs temperament tested? (thinking of adding this in because it would be nice for my dog to have off leash play with some well socialized dogs. I've stopped counting the number of dogs that have lunged at him on leash here. Sigh.)

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

Edited to add my pup is a crossbreed so I won't be asking any breed related questions.

Edited by ann21

http://k9pro.com.au/services/how-to-choose-a-dog-trainer/

This has a good outline.

it's hard to find an accredited trainer compared to in Australia

I know QLD (your profile state) is special but I still thought it was in Australia - where have you gone? And there's plenty of dodgy dog trainers in Australia too. I think the only enforceable thing is the animal welfare and companion animals acts, nothing too specific for trainers.

I'd be looking for someone who can communicate with me almost as well as with my dog - because it's me that's got to be able to implement the strategies long term. And I'd want to know what kinds of training methods they would use - do they use punishment - what kind and why/when. Do they use positive re-inforcement (rewards) - how do they find the thing the dog likes most?

And if I found any of their methods unacceptable to me - I would want to know what other methods they might use that I could be more comfortable with.

http://k9pro.com.au/services/how-to-choose-a-dog-trainer/

This has a good outline.

it's hard to find an accredited trainer compared to in Australia

I know QLD (your profile state) is special but I still thought it was in Australia - where have you gone? And there's plenty of dodgy dog trainers in Australia too. I think the only enforceable thing is the animal welfare and companion animals acts, nothing too specific for trainers.

I'd be looking for someone who can communicate with me almost as well as with my dog - because it's me that's got to be able to implement the strategies long term. And I'd want to know what kinds of training methods they would use - do they use punishment - what kind and why/when. Do they use positive re-inforcement (rewards) - how do they find the thing the dog likes most?

And if I found any of their methods unacceptable to me - I would want to know what other methods they might use that I could be more comfortable with.

Thanks for that :). I moved from VIC to Singapore! Should probably update that profile.

Edit: I just read the article and it is very useful. Will print it out before I go to observe the training session tmr!

Edited by ann21

Your questions look good - I'd watch the dogs too! Are they improved from the start of the class to the end? Are they keen to work? Is the trainer giving one-on-one time to each client, especially if they're struggling or unsure of something?

It's the vibe! :laugh:

I ask. What do you think of Cesar Milan? :laugh:

Lol you'd be surprised! Cesar came a while to Singapore and there are a lot of fans here! I steer clear of trainers who use pictures/videos taken with him in their advertising.

Your questions look good - I'd watch the dogs too! Are they improved from the start of the class to the end? Are they keen to work? Is the trainer giving one-on-one time to each client, especially if they're struggling or unsure of something?

It's the vibe! :laugh:

Good tips thanks. One on one time is definitely important. I suspect I will have all these things at the back of mind my mind before the session and eventually go with my gut!

Don't just look at the dogs, sometimes there is a tendency for positive only trainers to be very harsh, negative and critical of the people! Some of them seem to absolutely take joy in pointing out every little thing the human is doing wrong. Training is meant to be fun for both you and the dog so I would steer clear of a place that doesn't also have a nice atmosphere for the humans :)

Are there any helpers for the class - so the instructor isn't tied up for much of the class with explaining something to just one person, this can ruin the flow of the class. Helpers should be able to talk about the principles and help someone to catch up with what is being done

Don't just look at the dogs, sometimes there is a tendency for positive only trainers to be very harsh, negative and critical of the people! Some of them seem to absolutely take joy in pointing out every little thing the human is doing wrong. Training is meant to be fun for both you and the dog so I would steer clear of a place that doesn't also have a nice atmosphere for the humans :)

Thanks Raineth. Their course typically runs once a week for 16 weeks, so i agree having fun is important! Don't want to be dragging myself there every time lol

Are there any helpers for the class - so the instructor isn't tied up for much of the class with explaining something to just one person, this can ruin the flow of the class. Helpers should be able to talk about the principles and help someone to catch up with what is being done

I think its a husband and wife team who both compete in agility. I guess I will find out tonight! :)

Edited by ann21

I watch how instructors treat their own dogs and find this gives good insight into their real ways.

I watched a so-called "great" instructor show how to use a slipcollar on his dog when it was sitting quietly next to him with no follow up with the dog. The poor thing was totally confused before giving his owner an up-yours expression and looking away :thumbsup: . I have seen another instructor do the same thing but it was extremely gentle on the dog & they gave follow up to the dog before continuing the conversation.

Also look for how the instructor's dogs behave and respond to their owner. If they have any issues, how does the instructor deal with them or do they simply explain them away. I have joined classes based on these things and walked away from others. I now pick my instructors carefully based on what my dog & I need at the time.

Good luck and don't forget to listen to your own instincts.