Warning To Anyone Who Goes To St Ives Showground

lovemesideways

I would avoid putting posters up at the dog park, if I remember correctly fromlaw office days, it is technically illegal (even though many people do it) but you could ask local shops etc if you can put up general warning letters without specifics, just a general, be aware of your (their) own dog, if there are any incidents such as xyz the proper contact number is police/council etc that could encourage anyone else who has had incidents to also report them, which, if they are the same dog, would definitely help your cause.

Ruth

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog and I were in the large oval at St Ives Showground and this man's big black dog lingered too long around my nervous small dog (victim of an attack and wary of all dogs) so I asked the man to call his dog away. The man replied "If you don't like it you shouldn't be here". This happened about two years ago and since then we no longer walk in the oval as that sort of attitude really ticks me off, where owners have no consideration for others.

A very very nasty experience, LMSW, and good that you have taken action. I would keep up the contact with the police and rangers, because they may be a bit slow to get back to you and something like this has to be dealt with quickly and seriously.

I agree with this 100%. I do this all the time - not just with aggressive dogs, but dogs that are over-friendly, bouncy and don't respond well to other dogs signals that they want to be left alone.

I took Fergus to the local off-leash oval last weekend and we were having a good time. We'd only been there for a few minutes when a large cross-breed entered. I could see he was friendly but waaaay too hyper and bouncy. He bounced right over to a lab and wouldn't leave this dog alone. I left even though we'd only been there for a few minutes. He was the kind of dog that could easily hurt my littlie with his over-zealous play. His owner was clearly oblivious that his dog's play style was very rude and a lot of dogs wouldn't appreciate a 30kg dog literally jumping on them.

As we were exiting a husky joined in and was also extremely hyper. Fergs and I went for an on leash in an area that was separated by two fences (I'd never walk my dog on leash near off leash dogs). As we were coming back to the car all hell broke loose. The two hyper dogs had gotten too aroused and a fight had broken out. Both owners were in shock and the cross breed owner had the sense to remove his dog. The husky owner just let his dog continue to harass other dogs, including displaying some very predatory behaviour toward a little dog.

I'm p*ssed off that I can't give my boy some off leash time to chase his ball, but I'm so glad I left when I did. The thing is it was inevitable that there would be a fight - too many hyper dogs that were very aroused.

My boy has good instincts and always manages to avoid the trouble makers, but these dogs were chasing down dogs to play with. He wouldn't have stood a chance. Coupled with the way the husky was "playing" with a small dog, it wouldn't have ended well.

To those with half a brain, it was obvious that there would eventually be trouble, but so many people just don't get it. :mad

I have been over to St Ives Park a few times over the years, just going to markets and things and have often thought has great the park looks for dogs, but have been avoiding off leash dog parks for a long time. Too many variables, the worst one being that so many people have no idea about dogs' body language and have little or no consideration for the other people and their dogs.

This applies to those who should know better, as well. I knew a woman who had several dogs and a couple of them were well trained for certain situations. However, in the home they were dreadful: jumping all over you, mouthing you, practically knocking you over, etc etc, but she just thought it was totally acceptable and would look on with a big indulgent smile while you tried to defend yourself. :confused::eek:

My dog and I were in the large oval at St Ives Showground and this man's big black dog lingered too long around my nervous small dog (victim of an attack and wary of all dogs) so I asked the man to call his dog away. The man replied "If you don't like it you shouldn't be here". This happened about two years ago and since then we no longer walk in the oval as that sort of attitude really ticks me off, where owners have no consideration for others.

Sadly, this is the attitude of so many people - and not just in relation to walking their dogs.

So my friend and I went to the council yesterday to make our official statements! The ranger has been really good with how seriously they're taking it, and very helpful. The next step is that they will go find the other dogs owner and give him the chance to make a statement. I've no doubt the guy is gonna lie through his teeth too.

I'll have to contact a lawyer about the vet bill though, see how I have to go about getting that paid.