Are There Any Private Dog Exercise Areas

Odin-Genie

Hi, St Ives has dog pens (around the other side from the main oval). These are booked on Saturday from 12-5pm for dog obedience classes, and I think on Wednesday night for Agility classes, but other times, they are open to the public to use. There are 3 pens that have high fencing and water/taps in each, as well as poo bags. Hope this helps.

What a great idea! I would be wrapped if there were something like this in our area. You could exercise your dogs in complete safety. Like a leash free but all to yourself. I hadn't heard of this before. I would hire it even for an hour a week purely for the peace of mind.

Hi, St Ives has dog pens (around the other side from the main oval). These are booked on Saturday from 12-5pm for dog obedience classes, and I think on Wednesday night for Agility classes, but other times, they are open to the public to use. There are 3 pens that have high fencing and water/taps in each, as well as poo bags. Hope this helps.

Thanks Adnil444. Can you book these pens so that others don't get in? I normally take my dogs to the dog park in our area very early in the morning or late in the evening when there are no other dogs usually. But I still have to keep an eye on all three gates all the times to ensure we have enough time to get out if other dogs are approaching the park. That means that I can't really focus on training or playing with my dogs.

What a great idea! I would be wrapped if there were something like this in our area. You could exercise your dogs in complete safety. Like a leash free but all to yourself. I hadn't heard of this before. I would hire it even for an hour a week purely for the peace of mind.

Hi BC Crazy, there are quite a few of these in the US but I haven't heard of any here except Kepala in Melbourne.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have 5/10 acres that you could pay to use daily, few tree's, dam, bunnies to chase :laugh:

I would happily pay to amble around talking to myself peacefully for an hour.

Edited by juice

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have 5/10 acres that you could pay to use daily, few tree's, dam, bunnies to chase :laugh:

I would happily play to amble around talking to myself peacefully for an hour.

My idea of heaven juice. Me too, I would happily pay to stroll around with my dogs blissfully for an hour or all day LOL.

Hi BC Crazy, there are quite a few of these in the US but I haven't heard of any here except Kepala in Melbourne.

Hi OdinGenie, It's just a great idea. Pitty there wasn't more around. Bit far to go to the states LOL

They are very dog savvy over there.

Thanks Adnil444. Can you book these pens so that others don't get in? I normally take my dogs to the dog park in our area very early in the morning or late in the evening when there are no other dogs usually. But I still have to keep an eye on all three gates all the times to ensure we have enough time to get out if other dogs are approaching the park. That means that I can't really focus on training or playing with my dogs.

Hi, you can't book them, but once in, you can control who comes in or out - when I have my dogs in the pen, and someone comes along, I just say, sorry (one of mine can be a bit dominant at times). They either use another pen, or wait until one becomes free. But really, I never have to wait to use one.

Hi, you can't book them, but once in, you can control who comes in or out - when I have my dogs in the pen, and someone comes along, I just say, sorry (one of mine can be a bit dominant at times). They either use another pen, or wait until one becomes free. But really, I never have to wait to use one.

But they are for public use so you can't really stop people from using them, apart from asking nicely and hoping people will be understanding. They've even had trouble at agility trials with people using the pens next to competing dogs, even when there are signs saying the pens are booked and the public cannot enter. They're also not very big, not much bigger than a backyard really.

I don't think there are any areas in sydney similar to keppala in VIC. Are you looking for a private area because your dogs are DA or because you want to do training without distractions?

I have heard that Deep Creek in Narrabean may become the property (with sole access rights) of a training club in the near future which may be something to look into. It's a nice area with a creek, waterfall and large grass area, most dogs love it. However it is heavily tick infested and snakes have been sighted. It is not fully enclosed and only about 500m back from a very busy road, so only suitable for dogs that are under pretty good control.

I have heard that Deep Creek in Narrabean may become the property (with sole access rights) of a training club in the near future which may be something to look into. It's a nice area with a creek, waterfall and large grass area, most dogs love it. However it is heavily tick infested and snakes have been sighted. It is not fully enclosed and only about 500m back from a very busy road, so only suitable for dogs that are under pretty good control.

That's pretty cool! I would guess that would be Manly & Districts? They are the only club I am aware of that train there.

But they are for public use so you can't really stop people from using them, apart from asking nicely and hoping people will be understanding. They've even had trouble at agility trials with people using the pens next to competing dogs, even when there are signs saying the pens are booked and the public cannot enter. They're also not very big, not much bigger than a backyard really.

I don't think there are any areas in sydney similar to keppala in VIC. Are you looking for a private area because your dogs are DA or because you want to do training without distractions?

Thanks aussielover. No my dogs are not DA. In fact they are very good with other dogs. But I worry about strange dogs after hearing so many horror stories and would like a large place where I could get my dogs and their playmates together for a play date or just do some focused training.

No you can't stop people from using them, however I don't know of too many people who would take their dog into an enclosed pen after being told that the dog inside may not be the friendliest. They are actually a lot bigger than a yard. My dogs (large) get a gallop up very easily and I use the ball chucker and they have a great time. The middle pen, yes is a bit smaller (not in length but in width), but the other two are quite large. I also train at the club and when the pens are booked for obedience classes, no one is allowed to enter the middle pen - if people do, they are asked to leave as having obedience classes on either side with the middle pen having unleashed dogs is a distraction. I have never had any issue with asking people not to come in with mine. Actually they are happy they have been told - something I know I would be happy to hear from another dog owner.

Deep Creek at Narrabeen is also where my other obedience club trains (Manly and District Kennel Club) and it is owned by Pittwater Council - they will not give this land up. The club has an application in at present to upgrade the club house (at the club's expense), however the club will only ever be allowed to lease the clubhouse, never the land and it will be at the discretion of the council. It is a training ground only, not an off-leash ground at present.

Yes it is a great area, and I think the last time dog ran out onto Wakehurst Parkway and got killed was many years ago now. However, this is a real possibility if something goes wrong at the training grounds. Ticks unfortunately are a problem for most parts of the Northern Beaches and something we all have to be very aware of.

Thanks aussielover. No my dogs are not DA. In fact they are very good with other dogs. But I worry about strange dogs after hearing so many horror stories and would like a large place where I could get my dogs and their playmates together for a play date or just do some focused training.

You would love the pens at St Ives then. It is great to meet there with other dogs for a play - I do that with dogs that I know and my dogs get on well with them. It is safe, easy parking, well fenced and watered and apart from obedience days, you can pretty much go there and never have to wait to use a pen. If the odd chance that all pens are being used - I take mine for a walk around the grounds (on lead only). There are usually some horse events on the other side to watch, or just walking the bush paths is nice.

I know some people that use them that have very DA dogs but still want them to be able to have a good run and these are perfect.

Acacia Lodge at Londonderry will allow this. Large paddock. You do have to book a time. 1/2 hour $10 for up to 2 dogs. There is nothing on the website as yet but I believe it is in the process of being added. A lot of people want an off leash area where they are not mixing dogs.

Acacia Lodge at Londonderry will allow this. Large paddock. You do have to book a time. 1/2 hour $10 for up to 2 dogs. There is nothing on the website as yet but I believe it is in the process of being added. A lot of people want an off leash area where they are not mixing dogs.

That's a bit far but sounds like a good idea. Can you have more than two dogs (at a higher rate of course)?

Yes, a friend of mine takes 4 dogs. Not sure what the extra cost is. I forgot to say all dogs that go there must have a minimum C5 vaccination as it is also a boarding kennel. These only have to be taken once while they are current as the details are added to the computer.