Keeping Their Teeth Clean.

Kirislin

For their ages your dogs have excellent teeth apart from feather but even hers aren't too bad from photos. If she will let u scraping it off will give you best chance of removal of the.tarter build up....I would definitely keep up with what you are doing! Animals in the wild get a lot more whole prey which cleans the teeth...they also don't live as long as our pets so less plaque build up and if teeth do break they don't thrive. You can try dentastix, greenies or dental gel you can get from k9 gums.

thanks, it's been a "thing" of mine ever since a previous whippet had filthy teeth from the garbage I fed her because I didn't know any better at the time. I try really hard now to give them a good healthy diet and keep their teeth clean, but Feather and Kibah are the main problems, and Pennys are starting to get a bit of a build up, her teeth used to look like her sons, Tag and Puck until recently so with her I feel it's age related. I think some dogs just aren't good a chewing bones, but I really dont want to have to get them knocked out just to have their teeth cleaned.

I have a friend with a grooming business and the filthy teeth I see in there make me sick. I think most of her customers have no idea of the state of their dogs mouths, they just complain that the dog has bad breath. How bloody awful must it be for the dog, with that constant foul taste in their mouth and probably toothache.

I had a friend with a whippet and she didn't know it had a slab fracture until I looked in its mouth and told her. She got the tooth taken out and was amazed at the personality change in her dog. It suddenly became happy and playful again.

Yep both ex racers. When I first fostered Maddie she had just turned 2 and her teeth were green :vomit: Stan's aren't too bad but they are still not fantastic. He will be having a dental soon as well.

I often look at the racing photos and see the filthy teeth.

thanks secretkei. If the gel gets that off in a week then I think I'll try it cause Kibah doesn't have that much on her teeth but I cannot stand plaque on their teeth now. I expect my dogs to have teeth like wolves. Big and white and shiny. :)

thanks secretkei. If the gel gets that off in a week then I think I'll try it cause Kibah doesn't have that much on her teeth but I cannot stand plaque on their teeth now. I expect my dogs to have teeth like wolves. Big and white and shiny. :)

It basically softens up the plaque making it easy to remove. I've been very happy with it so far, just forget to use it as often as I should!

It basically softens up the plaque making it easy to remove. I've been very happy with it so far, just forget to use it as often as I should!

It sounds good. I have a friend who is also looking for something to get plaque off her dogs teeth so I'll tell her about it.

I am interested in the Gel as no matter what I try i still find the girls get a build up of plaque.

How do you apply it to their teeth?

I wont use Greenies etc as 1 Greenie resulted im my beloved Maggie aka Ch Colbeau Go Get Em Legal getting severe Inflammatory Bowel Diseas which claimed her life at just under 8 years.(Maggie was seen by top conventional vets,comlimentary vets etc but the damage caused by the Greenie as catastrophic)

Thanks

Nothing beats daily brushing!

The four whippets in this household have their teeth brushed every single day before bed. It takes me less than ten minutes a day. They also get bones, but that's more because they love them, not so much for their teeth.

If I let the brushing slip, I notice a difference within a couple of weeks.

I am interested in the Gel as no matter what I try i still find the girls get a build up of plaque.

How do you apply it to their teeth?

I wont use Greenies etc as 1 Greenie resulted im my beloved Maggie aka Ch Colbeau Go Get Em Legal getting severe Inflammatory Bowel Diseas which claimed her life at just under 8 years.(Maggie was seen by top conventional vets,comlimentary vets etc but the damage caused by the Greenie as catastrophic)

Thanks

Either rub it on their gums or let them lick it up off a plate.

Nothing beats daily brushing!

The four whippets in this household have their teeth brushed every single day before bed. It takes me less than ten minutes a day. They also get bones, but that's more because they love them, not so much for their teeth.

If I let the brushing slip, I notice a difference within a couple of weeks.

I've never brushed Tag, Puck or Pennys teeth, nor have they ever had a dental. So far their teeth have been maintained by diet alone, the problem I'm having is more with Feather and Kibah although I notice as Penny ages her teeth are beginning to get a build up. It bothers me that I have to intervene to keep their teeth clean, I WILL of course, that's why I've asked for the wisdom of DOL, but I wondered if I was doing something wrong to cause Feather and Kibah to get more of a build up.

I've got a little finger brush a couple of days ago. Is that what you use, and do you use toothpaste as well? I didn't buy the toothpaste as it was just under $20 for a tiny tub, I'm thinking I might get the gel and use the toothbrush to administer it.

Edited by Kirislin

I've used the green liquid which is added to their drinking water, I've used Plaque off, Hills Prescription TD chews, Petzlife gel and Fragaria Vesca (derived from a strawberry plant and in liquid form) which has been mentioned on this site before and a variety of natural chews. So far Petzlife has made a difference especially on the K9s and inside of the bottom lower front teeth. My dog doesn't like me applying it with my finger and running it over his gums and teeth but it works. I've tried both flavours and neither appeals to him but I persist because it works. There's still some tartar but it's slowly disappearing.

Try giving a good chewing bone everyday -I use beef neck vertebrae, little bit of meat, not a great deal of fat and excellent for chewing. Something that they have to work on to get the meat off- chicken necks are too easily crunched. :)

Then a quick run over with the toothbrush every other night, whether they look like they need it or not.

There are also additives used specifically for reducing plaque and tartar buildup that can be added to food and water...could be worth looking into.

Beef bones are too big for my dogs. I've had them occasionally but if I get the leg bones cut in half Penny especially scrapes at them with her front teeth and wears them down. I haven't given it to them many times but now as an old dog she just has little stumps for front teeth.

Ah, fair enough. :) The vertebrae bones are about the size of a woman's fist- they are also often sold as beef 'soup bones'. When they are all connected and forming a whole neck they are huge [HUGE!], but once seperated the individual vertebrae are a great size for my whippet. They don't seem to be anywhere near as dense as the large weight-bearing leg bones, as she can crunch most of them up but struggles to make a dent in leg bones [and like you, I worry for her teeth when she chews those, so she very rarely gets them].

What about turkey necks? They have a bit more oomph than chicken necks whilst remaining very manageable.

Try giving a good chewing bone everyday -I use beef neck vertebrae, little bit of meat, not a great deal of fat and excellent for chewing. Something that they have to work on to get the meat off- chicken necks are too easily crunched. :)

Then a quick run over with the toothbrush every other night, whether they look like they need it or not.

There are also additives used specifically for reducing plaque and tartar buildup that can be added to food and water...could be worth looking into.

Beef bones are too big for my dogs. I've had them occasionally but if I get the leg bones cut in half Penny especially scrapes at them with her front teeth and wears them down. I haven't given it to them many times but now as an old dog she just has little stumps for front teeth.

Ah, fair enough. :) The vertebrae bones are about the size of a woman's fist- they are also often sold as beef 'soup bones'. When they are all connected and forming a whole neck they are huge [HUGE!], but once seperated the individual vertebrae are a great size for my whippet. They don't seem to be anywhere near as dense as the large weight-bearing leg bones, as she can crunch most of them up but struggles to make a dent in leg bones [and like you, I worry for her teeth when she chews those, so she very rarely gets them].

What about turkey necks? They have a bit more oomph than chicken necks whilst remaining very manageable.

Turkey necks are great but I cant get them here. I've only bought them when I've been over to the Dandy market.

I've come to the conclusion that by most standards my dogs teeth are very good so I will stop stressing about them. I'll still investigate getting the gel to use on Feather and Kibah but even today I managed to chip a bit of plaque off Kibah, so possibly with feeding them more bones and gently chipping away at it they'll be fine.

I've got a little finger brush a couple of days ago. Is that what you use, and do you use toothpaste as well? I didn't buy the toothpaste as it was just under $20 for a tiny tub, I'm thinking I might get the gel and use the toothbrush to administer it.

I find the finger brushes much more fiddly to use, so I just use a soft childrens toothbrush.

The pet toothpaste isn't cheap, but a 70g tub should still last you a few months. Don't need much on your brush, just a wee bit.

Consider yourself lucky you have a breed with room for it's teeth. My GSD has lovely white teeth..the Cavaliers are constant work...particularly the girl who wont chew stuff! :mad

Turkey necks are great but I cant get them here. I've only bought them when I've been over to the Dandy market.

I've come to the conclusion that by most standards my dogs teeth are very good so I will stop stressing about them. I'll still investigate getting the gel to use on Feather and Kibah but even today I managed to chip a bit of plaque off Kibah, so possibly with feeding them more bones and gently chipping away at it they'll be fine.

I'd increase their bone in take a little bit :) Once a week is good but I think you would see a difference if you gave them a bone a bit more often. I have an Italian Greyhound with very good teeth.. every other dog in his litter has had a dental at only 4 years old and his breeder cautioned me I would have to do the same with him early on in his life as his parents "had bad teeth". She was in shock when I took him to see has last year and he had a near perfect mouth! Up until he was 1.5 years old I was feeding him dry food only.. at only 1.5 I could already see a little bit of plaque! I switched him to a mostly raw diet and am still blown away by how quickly that plaque dissapeared and has not returned. I was also brushing his teeth on a daily basis but no longer do that. I find that lamb necks and turkey necks are best for keeping teeth clean :) Also I'm told that 'bully sticks' are good for maintaining clean teeth but not really getting rid of plaque once it is built up.