Tags Big Day Out.

Kirislin

Tag has never chased a lure or raced in any way, other than playing chasey with his brother at the park. He's 8 years old now, mature by racing standards, but I decided to let him have a try at our last whippet fun day. I know my dogs well and I was pretty sure he'd chase it immediately. I was right, the other thing I was right about, was that I've never thought he was very fast for a whippet. :laugh: But he loved it and I could see him getting a better understanding of it after each run he had.

Erica leads him to the start. He's pretty compliant and didn't carry on like a pork chop because he was taken away from me.

8078908406_c32ebcbf08_z.jpg

5F6A2343dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

Tag in the red jacket far right. I dont really think he understood what was going on here, he just picked up on the excitement and ran with the group. But that's OK, he'll still learn.

8078919430_af37091799_z.jpg

5F6A2361dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

8078925773_a37767d886_z.jpg

5F6A2362dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

8078923967_9c9e95a70d_z.jpg

5F6A2363dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

8078922087_af6fdbc6c4_z.jpg

5F6A2364dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

my camera was brilliant here, although it doesn't necessarily make for a great photo it's pretty clear who I was following :laugh: my darling boy of course.

8078929375_6db1d0370c_z.jpg

5F6A2366dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

and the camera held focus even when all the others got in front of him. He's spotted me here and seems to be saying what am I supposed to be doing?

8078928351_6640da67a2_z.jpg

5F6A2367dpptcr dop by kirislin, on Flickr

Smashing photos and love his focus on you :thumbsup: If you don't mind me asking, how come he hasn't had a try at it before?

Tag was going to be my foundation sire of pedigree racing whippets. My logic was simple at the time. I got the fastest pedigree racing bitch of the year (my girl Penny) and mated her to the fastest pedigree racing dog of the year. I thought I'd have these really speedy pedigree whippets, but although Pennys healthy mature weight was about 12.5-13kgs and the sire was around 14.5-15 kgs Tag matured to a clydesdalish 18kgs!!! Where the hell all the bone came from I dont know. I couldn't race him because they have a 15kgs weight limit, and I wouldn't want to breed from such a gigantic dog so I had him neutered and kept him as a pet.

Since I've been involved with the other fun racing club I haven't really had the time to train him, I've been busy with other stuff, but I just thought I'd give him a go for fun. He loved it so I might take him again.

Ah ok, thanks Kirislin, looks like Tag the giant enjoyed himself for sure :D

Yes, if he'd raced I would have had to think up a racing name for him. Well he couldn't anyway 'cause he was too heavy, but I wonder what I'd call him if he could. Maybe the Incredible Hulk, or Gigantor. :laugh:

Penny was Little Savage, because she was exactly that when she was a puppy.

Kibah was Pocket Rocket and Feather was The Blue Flyer. It's fun thinking up names for them.

wow I hadn't realised you hadn't had him out for a run! Looks like he had fun :D

I'm liking the new grounds too :)

It's just an open parkland area. They dont get a very long run, maybe only about 120mts, but they have lots of turns. :laugh: You're welcome to come over again if you feel like a drive. We're having our last fun day of the year Saturday November 17th