Dog Laws In Tassie.

mixeduppup

My sister is considering moving to Tassie next year. We're a close family and she mentioned that she'd like if we moved down as well. But the one thing that has me worried is the dog laws. I currently have 5 dogs including mum's JRT and I know that in Vic anything over 2 needs a permit or a license or something. I told mum that I wouldn't move down if I couldn't have all my dogs as I would never part with them.

So what are the dog laws like? If we already own 5 can we get a permit allowing us to keep them? We would be looking at country areas around Launceston.

http://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/lcc/?c=46

Launceston has a two dog limit. Look up West Tamar, East Tamar or Meander Vally councils for info on their dog limits. They are the surrounding areas out of Launceston.

You can get a permit for more in Lonnie but it costs a bit, forgot how much.

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

I believe it's state legislation that more than 2 dogs requires a permit.

We moved here just over 2 years ago, into one of the few council areas that didn't have limits (Central Highlands Council). Since then, our council has brought in kennel licences, more because they were required to implement it than because they wanted to (by their own admission). We're on 70 acres, and are required to have a kennel licence for more than 2 dogs, but fortunately our council are still very accommodating in granting licences :)

Below is a link to the Dog Control Act 2000 - scroll down to Division 7 - Licences and you will find information about the number of dogs that can be kept :)

http://www.thelaw.tas.gov.au/tocview/index.w3p;cond=ALL;doc_id=102%2B%2B2000%2BAT%40EN%2B20121027060000;histon=;prompt=;rec=;term=dog%20control%20act%202000

when I applied for mine a few years ago, just had to put a bit in the paper ( council gave me wording and I filled in details eg how many dogs )

asking if anyone within a certain distance ( sorry forgot how far) had any complaints if there were none paid fee and that was it

have to renew it ever year along with dog rego smile.gif

It varies from council to council, and also on where you're located.

For us, because we're rural we basically just had to be able to show that our dogs are safely contained and have weather proof sleeping areas. People in villages/towns have to demonstrate more detailed setups than what we do.

For example - people in more populated areas (in our council area) have to meet the following criteria:

1) The kennels are located at least 9 metres from any neighbouring dwelling;

2) The kennels are at least 2 metres from the boundary of the premises;

3) The kennels are fully fenced and covered;

4) The kennel area has a concrete base to provide for effective cleaning and disinfecting; and

5) The kennels are raised off the concrete to provide adequate ventilation and for cleaning purposes.

We had to advertise in the paper before we could submit our application. Once the application was submitted and the time for objections had passed, our property was inspected, and then we received our letter of approval in the mail.

Edited by Allerzeit

I live in rural NW Tassie. I had to put the notice in the paper and anyone living within 200 metres could object. No one did and the dog man came and inspected our set up which is a combination of grassed and paved areas as well as weatherproof shelter. That was it. Then all you have to do is keep your kennel licence renewed annually and register your dogs, both with the local council.

Some councils are stricter than others.