Dogs And Wasps

Staffyluv

Willow goes mad at European wasps and has worked out how to kill and eat them without being stung. She gets them up against the windows, flicks saliva at them until they can't fly, scratches at them with her paws until they are dead and then eats them. Crazy dog!

They love to eat meat, so if there are any old bones or scraps of dog food in bowls they are attracted to them.

I think Ziggy's had a few goes at the wasp because I heard hin snuffling and quiet woofing, scratching around on the other side of my desk before he yelped when it got him...

I think he has learned his lesson, there were about 4 of them late yesterday afternoon just under the eaves of my office and he wouldn't come in the door...

We checked it out and couldn't see any sign of a nest, we couldn't hear anything that would suggest there were more in there...

Apparently (according to a client yesterday) the European wasp tends to stay close to home, so they don't travel to far from their nests... So I guess I will be seeing more of them.

Foxy unfortunately never learns her lesson. We have been to the vet about three times now to get antibiotics for ulcerating stings inside her mouth... Pretty sure the first one was a bee, after that it was likely some kind of wasps.... And yet she still keeps trying to catch them in her mouth every time.. :p

Vicks vapour rub which is predominantly menthol works very well on dogs and humans to allay effects of bites and stings especially in between pet toes, just a small smear and rub onto site In humans stops ant and mossie bite itch very quickly. Another oldy is Vanilla essence as this neutralises the sting especially bees. As does vinegar and the more expensive commercial product stingose.

As for disposing of nest Try using hairspray, you have to be quick give a good blast then move back this quickly stops them flying etc and once immobile you can safely dispose of nest and any remaining larvae.

You can buy traps for European wasps. My brother had a home made one made from a 2 litre soft drink bottle with a bit of sausage suspended on a string over some water with sugar in it. And a hole in it with a inwards funnel (made from the top of another soft drink bottle)...

Anyway there are several huge nests near his house but not on his proprety unfortunately. I don't get as many so I just do them with flyspray. I get low, blast them and they shoot straight up and then back towards their nest.

The sting is nasty - I'd be using an antihistamine.

Frosty got stung on the nose twice and paw once before she worked out bees are not like blow flies.

Be careful if they are European wasps, they can become pretty aggressive when their nest is disturbed! I once walked too close to a nest (I didn't know it was there) and they chased me to the end of the street...

The Euros usually don't get active around here (Yarra Valley) until late summer, when the fruit is ripe on the trees.

They are a pain...literally! And very agressive. :(

Vicks vapour rub which is predominantly menthol works very well on dogs and humans to allay effects of bites and stings especially in between pet toes, just a small smear and rub onto site In humans stops ant and mossie bite itch very quickly. Another oldy is Vanilla essence as this neutralises the sting especially bees. As does vinegar and the more expensive commercial product stingose.

As for disposing of nest Try using hairspray, you have to be quick give a good blast then move back this quickly stops them flying etc and once immobile you can safely dispose of nest and any remaining larvae.

*like*

:)

eta: smiley face!

Edited by Skruffy n Flea