Is This Common In The Show Scene?

LisaCC

Back on the original topic. Would I warn a potential buyer away from a breeder?

Yes, but not in public. I'd be giving facts as I knew them not general comments though. And I'd probably be more focussed on steering them towards the better breeders than away from the others.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

LisaCC these people think they are doing you a favour. I know that if there was a dog I had seen being aggressive at shows and one of my friends wanted a dog in that breed I would discretely warn them. They may have gone about it the wrong way but I actually think they may have done you a kindness - I know I wouldn't have the guts to tell a stranger something like that. Imagine if they had said nothing at all and you ended up with a pup with DA issues and then later found out 'everyone' knew the dam was DA? Wouldn't you feel more put out then a warning beforehand?

no they said the dog snapped, hardly a DA dog. More likely a person they don't like that they are trying to cause problems for.

There are toxic types whenever there is competition. Whether you decide to let them colour your experience of the show ring is up to you. All I can say is don't knock it till you've tried it.

Showing is what you make it, you go out to have fun and meet nice people you will. You treat the tossers the same way you do tossers in any other area of your life, ignore and go about your day.

Agree with the above, people shouldn't be deterred by reports of bitchiness.

LisaCC these people think they are doing you a favour. I know that if there was a dog I had seen being aggressive at shows and one of my friends wanted a dog in that breed I would discretely warn them. They may have gone about it the wrong way but I actually think they may have done you a kindness - I know I wouldn't have the guts to tell a stranger something like that. Imagine if they had said nothing at all and you ended up with a pup with DA issues and then later found out 'everyone' knew the dam was DA? Wouldn't you feel more put out then a warning beforehand?

no they said the dog snapped, hardly a DA dog. More likely a person they don't like that they are trying to cause problems for.

Snapping is hardly appropriate behaviour for a Lab IMO....

Snapping is hardly appropriate behaviour for a Lab IMO....

why? Aren't Labs dogs? Do not dogs warn other dogs by various means?

The actual quote was 'Oh no not her, you know her bitch snapped at my dog once'

My bitch will snap at any dog that dares to push her buttons by being too forward with sniffing her backside or "gasp" try to mount her. In fact she could very well try to rip the dogs head off if he did throw a leg over her.

Showing is what you make it, you go out to have fun and meet nice people you will. You treat the tossers the same way you do tossers in any other area of your life, ignore and go about your day.

That is pretty much it. I must admit I don't see much bitchiness. But maybe that is because of the people I choose to associate with and the attitude I choose to take. There is bitchiness everywhere in life if you choose to let it influence you. I always have fun with friends at shows and find it a great social outlet and fun day out with the dogs. Sometimes it seems the time in the ring is just the excuse for a day out or a weekend away lol!

Thanks for all of your replies. I've been very busy today do I haven't been able to check any earlier.

I was luckily enough to have already done my research and was just hoping to meet a few select breeders there to meet in person. And im very happy with the breeder I'm still in contact with.

The reason I was asking the secretaries in the first place was to point me in the direction of the right ring.

I'm glad to know that it isnt common with the officials. It was quite off putting, more to them than the breeder.

Also for the person that mentioned Labs, The lab in my photo is my old boy, but I'm not actually after another lab, going in a different direction :)

Oh and I did appreciate the first instance as the lady did seem quite genuine and acted politely, I would much prefer a warning then to end up with a pup with a bad temperament.

I was more shocked at the attitudes of the two ladies who where laughing and pointing the breeder out in eye of other people.

I'd say your experience was unusual, I don't show much these days but I have not seen officials at any show airing any 'dirty linen' in front of the public. A disgruntled exhibitor might speak uncharitably, but I am surprised a show sec or similar would.

Not a nice impression for you to get though.

Edited by Diva