Learning To Clip My Dog -

noisymina

OK, so I have the gear and have started to clip my little SWF (Lowchen).

As you can imagine, it is pretty much an amateur effort. She is a pet, not for show, so clip style is my choice and I'm ok with that.

What I need are some tips about how to go about getting a good finish, please?

Eg I think I rush it a bit and the clipping is not smooth - you can see lines here and there. Is his just a matter of experience/practice or are there some secrets to getting it right?

The finer detail - eg around the "unmentionables" or between the toes - what are your ways to trim without maybe cutting the poor dog!

Any other information you have found useful.............?

You need to prepare the coat properly for clipping, that means a full groom out and comb through then bath and blowdry, fluffy dry the coat by brushing as you dry or use a high velocity dryer that will do most of the work for you. The when the coat is completely dry and totally not and matt free you can clip. Go slowly :) You will get a better and safer finish using #F blades.

Small battery trimmers like the Sheer Magic are excellent for small feet and tricky places.

You need to prepare the coat properly for clipping, that means a full groom out and comb through then bath and blowdry, fluffy dry the coat by brushing as you dry or use a high velocity dryer that will do most of the work for you. The when the coat is completely dry and totally not and matt free you can clip. Go slowly :) You will get a better and safer finish using #F blades.

Small battery trimmers like the Sheer Magic are excellent for small feet and tricky places.

So there is a difference between "F" blades and others?

Thank you - Have been looking around - and getting confused, of course! :laugh:

The comb attachments also have a place, I gather, in that they reduce the number of blades one needs to stock for different cut lengths? But one still needs to get an "#F" blade to finish?

TO get a good Finish you need a good start, give her a good scrub in the tub, (slicker, rubber curry etc) sud her up!!!, rinse and make sure all suds are out. Clean everything and anything that is mucky is to be cleaned off!!!

Blow dry... when finished drying make sure you have no Knotts or tangles (run a small toothed comb through the coat)

What size Blade, Skip teeth blades can be dangerous and can easily cut the skin more then a Fine (F) blade.

Comb attachments are for longer lengths.

For a smooth effect #7F or a #5F - but beware they can heat up and burn (so normally x2 blades and switch when hot)

Cautionary spots, under the front legs and hygiene areas.

Oh and never call a Lowchen a SWF!!! They come in Colours ;)

The combs can be useful for some longer lengths, but for the 'base' of your trim (by which I mean the body of your dog, primarily) it is better to use a full toothed blade. It will be smoother, nicer, and go through the coat more easily,

For the longer parts, you can potentially use a clip on comb or to get a nicer finish you might end up using scissors (a true art - and something that takes some practice to get right)

There are some fantastic youtube clips online to watch, and they will give you a really good idea how to go about it.

Try this one for starters:

Comb attachments are for longer lengths.

Not necessarily. I use the shortest combs for a short length. I stopped using regular blades years ago preferring the finish with the combs. It also means I dont use/need (although still have them all) nearly as many blades.

The only time I use a 7 is if the coat is badly matted.

NM If you want to have more control over the length, then I would just get yourself some Wahl stainless steel combs.

Cautionary spots, under the front legs and hygiene areas.

Oh and never call a Lowchen a SWF!!! They come in Colours ;)

:laugh: Sorry, Darkrai! She is MOSTLY white, tho! :o

What do your mean by "cautionary"? Easier to nick?

I have the grooming bit ok - bath and all. I'm just a novice at the clipping bit. We used to be able to get good groomers to do the clip - but I have not had much luck around here. Travelling further is not something that will be practical for me long term - so I may as well learn to keep it under control all the time at home! :)

I do have some of the Wahl combs. Don't think the blades are skip teeth ones - just the normal ones that come with the clippers. #10. :confused:

Thanks Zug Zug - will go look at that link now! :)

I know the opening post says Tips from Pros and I am no means a pro, just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

Its common knowledge I have 4 oodles and I clip them all myself, I only ever use a 10 blade (came with the clippers Wahl km ss) and I always use the combs, mine combs are stainless steel, I originally had the plastic ones with my first set of clippers but they were forever bending. the Stainless ones are much stronger.

Agree with others, clean brushed out coat = easier to clip and blade won't go blunt to soon.

If any knots are present, I prefer to break them up, brush them out or snip them out before clipping.

My precious areas are under arms as they have the kind of flappy skin and its easy to get caught if the coat is long.

I use the blade only between eyes, feet and base of tail and lightly on tummy for the fine fluffier bits.

I have never (touch wood) had any mishaps.

Be careful for any little things you might not notice but I usually think doing your own dog you are likely to know any bumps etc your dog has, for eg Cooper has a wart on his back that I am aware of, even though I use the combs the pointy end of the comb could hurt if it dug in.

I think the general rule of thumb is clip with the fur not against although I break this rule on legs with Cooper, its easier to do his legs against in stead of with.

I get my blades sharpened when they go blunt and they go blunt just like that, one min they are sharp next minute, they wont cut. I am occasionally guilty of clipping a few days after bathing, hence the blades not staying as sharp as they should/could.

I don't mind doing the job, 3 of mine quite enjoy it and its good bonding time with them, they are pretty cruisy, the youngest one even lays down and has a snooze when I do his feet, legs etc. :laugh:

Edited by tlc

Thank you tlc - maybe I should have worded it a bit differently - after all, I will never be a "pro" at it myself!

I just checked and it looks like the combs are S/S - definitely not plastic!

I have been wondering about the lay of the coat as one guide I saw/read said that clipping against the coat will give a shorter clip - but all the others said to clip with the lay of the coat. So i have been going that way - seems a bit more practice will help. :laugh:

I have found Woo seems happier lying in my lap and grinning while the legs and feet are seen to! Totally unprofessional! :D

:laugh: love it! Like my youngest, I think him growing up in the first 12 months watching the other 3 he got so used to it! He's the cruisiest little dude, I posted video on face book once of him being clipped and someone asked me if he was drugged! :laugh: my girls are great too. My oldest is a bit different, he's tolerant but really dislikes his legs being done. So I've learnt to get quick with him so it's over me done with.

I always thought my lot looked awful when I first started but now I can do them and think they look pretty good. I still leave them about 1/2 inch all over sometimes shorter depending on the season, long ears and long tail but poodles short feet.

I usually clip about every 8 - 10 weeks.

I think there can be a great deal of satisfaction in doing it oneself! Even tho my first attempt was far from perfect - I did surprise myself by doing it at all! :o

I think I'll probably be a bits & pieces groomer - doing a bit after each wash instead of all at once! :laugh:

:laugh: I used to do all 4 of mine in one day but not any more, it's usually 2 one week and two the next.

You will find after a few goes you will get it exactly how you like it!

Edited by tlc

The tram lines are there because either 1. the blade is blunt 2. you are pushing the blade through the coat and not letting the clipper guide you over speed to move 3. hair is caught up in the blade so part can't cut

Clipping with the coat growth with a 7f will give a nice finish but maybe a bit short on thinner white coats, a 5f might be better. 7f going against the coat growth will give the same length as using a 10 blade with the growth.

Vulva clipped with 10 blade, starting away from the area and clipping towards the tip, easier to hold a back leg out to the side while you clip that side of the vulva.

Scissoring is a useful skill to learn if you want a longer body - it isn't difficult to get the basics and a neat job. You can comb up hair in sections - just as a hairdresser does and either hold the hair between your fingers or hold it up with the comb, then when you catch up the next section, you still have some of the previous cut area in the hair you now have, to use as a guide to length of trim. Beginners might find it easier to start this with thinning scissors. Main thing is to minimise the number of cuts you do on each section as this will give a neater look then hacking at the same area all the time - comb twice, cut once! (to borrow a carpenters quote)

Yep cautious means delicate areas, easy to cut.

A basic test of pressure is to turn the clippers on and run the blade along your arm, from there feel how much more or less feels comfortable. If you feel like your going to snag or get stuck on a knot don't rip or push harder, this could lead to cutting. If stuck go slowly and make sure no skin is getting in the way.

I also have a 5 blade but I'm yet to use it, only due to it being blunt and not cutting even from new. I only recently spoke to my guy who sharpens my 10 blade and he said bring it in with the clippers it might need aligning or resharpening.

Yep cautious means delicate areas, easy to cut.

A basic test of pressure is to turn the clippers on and run the blade along your arm, from there feel how much more or less feels comfortable. If you feel like your going to snag or get stuck on a knot don't rip or push harder, this could lead to cutting. If stuck go slowly and make sure no skin is getting in the way.

:thumbsup: Thank you. Never thought to try it on myself! How logical is that? :o