The Plight Of Dud Racing Greyhounds

Curlybert

Next Sunday's 'Background Briefing' on ABC Radio National will focus on euthanasia rates for greyhounds that are not up to scratch on the track. It will be on just after the 8am news on 11 November. I know nothing more about the program's content but it may of interest to some DOLers.

It will be repeated at 4am :dropjaw: Monday 12th, but will also be available as a podcast through the RN webpage.

They played a 'trailer' of the greyhound program on Radio National.... after this morning's Background Briefing program (which was about the death of that young man who was tasered). It sounded very good... they speak to a vet who says it isn't a happy thing to be asked to put down the greys who were not up to expectation.

Thanks Curly will tune in but I already know the statistics of greys being euthed :(

Yep.

The numbers were exposed a long time ago (they're publically available anyway, if you know where to look) and public interest was pretty minimal. There was a bit of armchair activism but for the most part, that achieves nothing but warm, fuzzy feelings of having helped (as opposed to actually helping by fostering, adopting, etc). What was actually needed was legal reform but given the government can't even control the average backyard breeder and their maltipooshitoodles, they have no hope of controlling the breeding of greyhounds.

In Australia, it would probably take the banning of the sport to see a real difference in greyhound welfare (both during and after their racing careers).

Thanks Curly will tune in but I already know the statistics of greys being euthed :(

Yep.

The numbers were exposed a long time ago (they're publically available anyway, if you know where to look) and public interest was pretty minimal. There was a bit of armchair activism but for the most part, that achieves nothing but warm, fuzzy feelings of having helped (as opposed to actually helping by fostering, adopting, etc). What was actually needed was legal reform but given the government can't even control the average backyard breeder and their maltipooshitoodles, they have no hope of controlling the breeding of greyhounds.

In Australia, it would probably take the banning of the sport to see a real difference in greyhound welfare (both during and after their racing careers).

Racing will never be banned in any country:( You only have to see how much was spent on the Melbourne Cup today.

Yep.

I absolutely agree with you that it will take the banning of the sport in Australia to see any real difference. But surely it would be easier for the govt to control the breeding of Greyhounds, because Greyhounds must be registered to race. If they can't be raced, there's no (or LESS) impetus to breed.. it would be much easier for the govt to control that that BYB oodles. There's just no political will there.

Yep.

I absolutely agree with you that it will take the banning of the sport in Australia to see any real difference. But surely it would be easier for the govt to control the breeding of Greyhounds, because Greyhounds must be registered to race. If they can't be raced, there's no (or LESS) impetus to breed.. it would be much easier for the govt to control that that BYB oodles. There's just no political will there.

The sad reality is, there are plenty of possible solutions to the problem and many of them could actually raise revenue.

To give you an exmaple- extending grades so that greyhounds that grade out of higher classes can continue to run. Grade all the way down to the dogs that practically walk around the track. A race is still a race, even if the dogs aren't capable of running as fast. This means a slow dog is no longer a dead dog, just a dog in a lower grade.

Run races on straight tracks with fewer dogs- straight tracks are safer, even more so if grass is used instead of sand. For many greyhound tracks (with only one set of stands), this just makes better sense, seeing as the back half of the track of an oval track is hard to see anyway.

Limit breeding and in particular, for popular studs, limit the amount of litters they may sire (this is better for the long-term genetic health of the breed).

And so on and so forth. The solutions are there, the industry just isn't interested in addressing the problem* or regulating their own behaviour and ultimately, that will be their downfall.

*Beyond addressing the bad publicity that comes from a considerable wastage problem.

I do believe public opinion/awareness had changed A LOT over the last few years. 6 or 7 years ago when walking a pet greyhound I would be stopped by people who would say "oh isn't it wonderful how they all get homes now after racing".

In the last year or so, I get "oh isn't it terrible how they are treated and so many are killed".

So the public is catching on, and as the industry itself is re-active not pro-active, then it will take some time for any changes to be made, but I do thinke that something will have to give.

I do believe public opinion/awareness had changed A LOT over the last few years. 6 or 7 years ago when walking a pet greyhound I would be stopped by people who would say "oh isn't it wonderful how they all get homes now after racing".

In the last year or so, I get "oh isn't it terrible how they are treated and so many are killed".

So the public is catching on, and as the industry itself is re-active not pro-active, then it will take some time for any changes to be made, but I do thinke that something will have to give.

The problem is, awareness doesn't necessarily equate to action. Take race horses, for example- most people are aware of what happens to thoroughbreds if they don't make the grade (in my admittedly not very scientific research, the answer is usually "the glue factory", "the knackery" or "dog food") but look at the huge amount of public support the spring racing carnival in Victoria gets. The public sees, firsthand, the injuries and harm it causes the horses but people still attend and support the event.

We get lots of comments when we walk our greys about how terrible the greyhound racing industry is but are they interested in adopting, donating or even just refraining from supporting the industry? If it means they miss out on a bit of fun.. not really.

Totally agree with both of you.

Anecdotally though, I am seeing a LOT more Greyhounds around, including fosters. I live in Brunswick, Melbourne, and when I fostered (about 2 years ago) the woman at the org I fostered for always joked about the Brunswick Greyhound crew, there were so many in this area! I see quite a few people walking GAP greyhounds, and often see them with one that is obviously a foster too (a muzzled one).

I realise that's just my own anecdotal evidence, but I have noticed in recent years a large increase in the number of hounds around, and people with foster hounds, too :thumbsup:

Unfortunately though, it's still just a drop in the ocean. And I completely agree with you, Hardy's Angel, there are myriad things that could be done but there's just no will to. It's shameful.

Edited by Alkhe

You know I get so sick of 'blokes' coming up to me and saying - my son / father / you name it races greyhounds....

A few weeks ago a fellow came up and said 'my son is in Queensland and he is a large breeder". I replied 'how embarassing for you". Took a while before he asked me why. So I just told him that the general public are becoming more and more aware of the numbers killed, and telling people that your son is a big player in the industry will not make you many friends.

Made me feel better anyway.

And yes, there are many more greys around than they used to be, but due to breeding numbers and the size of the Oz population, unless it is made mandatory that every home has to have one ......

Will ceratinly get as many people as possible to listen to this ABC broadcast.

You know I get so sick of 'blokes' coming up to me and saying - my son / father / you name it races greyhounds....

A few weeks ago a fellow came up and said 'my son is in Queensland and he is a large breeder". I replied 'how embarassing for you". Took a while before he asked me why. So I just told him that the general public are becoming more and more aware of the numbers killed, and telling people that your son is a big player in the industry will not make you many friends.

And yes, there are many more greys around than they used to be, but due to breeding numbers and the size of the Oz population, unless it is made mandatory that every home has to have one ......

I get that too :D "Yeah, my brother's ex-wife's stepfather's half uncle's neighbour's mother's friend's son used to race greyhounds, his name was Blahdelblargh, I bet you know him!"

As for numbers, a very good point. At the current rate of breeding, it would quickly become very literally impossible to rehome dogs. We already have a hard time down here because of our tiny population- our current foster has been with us a year- only enquiries were all cat owners :/

I get that too :D "Yeah, my brother's ex-wife's stepfather's half uncle's neighbour's mother's friend's son used to race greyhounds, his name was Blahdelblargh, I bet you know him!"

As for numbers, a very good point. At the current rate of breeding, it would quickly become very literally impossible to rehome dogs. We already have a hard time down here because of our tiny population- our current foster has been with us a year- only enquiries were all cat owners :/

Nothing much to add, but I cracked up laughing when I read the bolded bit. Would be a good prefix name :laugh:

--Lhok

The Plight Of Dud Racing Greyhounds

Duds in my opinion in any breed required to perform a task is reliant largely upon good breeding practices. Too many people throwing anything together in hope where I am sure there would be as many dickheads breeding racing Greyhounds as there are people trying to breed show winners when they don't really know what they are doing? I think Greyhound breeders need to be limited, if they can't breed a decent dog out of a couple of litters, bad luck........not keep breeding and culling until they crack the the right dog :shrug:

Edited by m-sass

What is even sadder is that there are many more dead dogs. Many are not even euthanised humanely by vets. They are just shot in a field & got rid of :cry:

Banning both dog & horse racing is the only way it will ever stop. So it won't. Money to be made & taxes always comes before animal welfare.

Yep.

The sad reality is, there are plenty of possible solutions to the problem and many of them could actually raise revenue.

To give you an exmaple- extending grades so that greyhounds that grade out of higher classes can continue to run. Grade all the way down to the dogs that practically walk around the track. A race is still a race, even if the dogs aren't capable of running as fast. This means a slow dog is no longer a dead dog, just a dog in a lower grade.

Run races on straight tracks with fewer dogs- straight tracks are safer, even more so if grass is used instead of sand. For many greyhound tracks (with only one set of stands), this just makes better sense, seeing as the back half of the track of an oval track is hard to see anyway.

Limit breeding and in particular, for popular studs, limit the amount of litters they may sire (this is better for the long-term genetic health of the breed).

And so on and so forth. The solutions are there, the industry just isn't interested in addressing the problem* or regulating their own behaviour and ultimately, that will be their downfall.

*Beyond addressing the bad publicity that comes from a considerable wastage problem.

Some excellent ideas there HA.

Yep.

Some excellent ideas there HA.

I doubt I'm the only person to have considered such measures, either. That's the sad thing- the solutions are all pretty obvious but the industry just doesn't want to change. It'd have to be dragged into the 21st century, kicking and screaming.

What is even sadder is that there are many more dead dogs. Many are not even euthanised humanely by vets. They are just shot in a field & got rid of :cry:

The vet in the program's trailer, said the same thing as you. He said it was not a happy thing for him to PTS 'dud' racing greyhounds, but at least he'd be doing it humanely.

The general public needs to know what lovely pets these 'dud' greyhounds make. Man at the back who owns racing greyhounds, rescued one called Boofy that was about to be PTS at age 3 years because he wasn't suitable for the track.

Boofy finished up being adored by all the neighbours. He had the sweetest most loving nature. He'd amble out when he was called, to get pats. Our little tibbie girl, Angel, specially loved Boof. He'd lean down from his great height, so she could kiss his nose.

Sadly, he died on the operating table when being desexed. His new owner and everybody else were shattered. He'd ambled into our hearts. Angel missed him terribly. She'd wait at the fence for ages, hoping he'd come back.

Boofy a 'dud'??? He was the very best of dogs.