Dog Mauls Owner In Playfight

Quickasyoucan

Possibly the dog was over stimulated and chomping down on whatever it could find. Or perhaps there was an element of revenge, but that would imply a higher level of reasoning that dogs don't possess?

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly the dog was over stimulated and chomping down on whatever it could find. Or perhaps there was an element of revenge, but that would imply a higher level of reasoning that dog's don't possess?

If you think dogs won't wait for their chance to take out a certain kind of owner/handler, you can think again.

Possibly the dog was over stimulated and chomping down on whatever it could find. Or perhaps there was an element of revenge, but that would imply a higher level of reasoning that dog's don't possess?

If you think dogs won't wait for their chance to take out a certain kind of owner/handler, you can think again.

Fair enough. I was just wondering on how their thought process for revenge would work.

I don't know about revenge mixeduppup, probably more pecking order. Dog got revved up, saw an opportunity and took it.

We used to have to be very careful with our old BC as he would get very stressed when ever my friends and I (young teens at the time) would play wrestle or run around screaming. Had we not stopped or removed him from the situation, he probably would have bitten one of my friends in defence of me. Slightly different scenario but same dynamics going on.

often see dogs that are revved up, running barking along fences , then one attacks another , I assume the dominant dog attacking the lesser.

This can also happen when human children play fight - the dog will reinforce the pack order and have a crack at the 'lower order' child.

You 'train' a dog a certain way and suddenly find yourself in a position of vulnerability and the dog will take its chance. Can't say I blame them.

Not sure we'll find out if this was the case. Owners are rarely up front about being at fault anyway.

Option B is dog got over excited and owner has grabbed it to get it out of the way - redirected aggression can be a real bitch.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Um is it just me or did they edit the article? No more mention of that "vicious attack"?

I think a dog can and will take the chance to attack another dog (or in this case the owner) if that person or dog is already being attacked (in this case by the mate). Maybe the dog did have a beef with his owner? We don't know. Not being able to read your own dog and realize that something like this is imminent does not indicate to me that the owner was particularly dog savvy.....

Many people really need more education in regards to their dog, a lot of owners are completely oblivious to what their dog's body language is telling them...

ETA: Just found the "Next" button, my bad. There is a picture of the "vicious" attacker..

Edited by BlackJaq

On the top right hand corner of the photo is a link that says it is one of three. Click on next for the two other pics. One of the offending dog, which I would be pretty confident to say is a red cattle x, and one of the other dog, which looks like a youngster, sitting with the two cops while the ambos did their stuff.

Yes, after I finally found the photo (lol) I also thought it looked like a cattle x more than anything? Seems breed identification in the media is not all that reliable after-all....... Hmmmm

Edited by BlackJaq

Dogs don't do something like this for no reason. There would have been signs previously that he either ignored or didn't see.

The dog saw the opportunity open up and took it. Of course it will be the dogs fault for having a brain snap, not the owners fault for being a tool!

The dog, a labrador cross ridgeback

I thought they only reported Pitbull attacks.......another good BYB crossbreed it appears. Don't know where the erect ears came from out of Lab X Ridgeback :confused:

Edited by m-sass

To me it sounds like a dog got excited and just grabbed whatever was in front of his face and it just happened to be his owner. But he obviously had more issues (or his owner does) for it to turn into a 'savage attack'. Maybe the owner fought back with extra aggression (punching and kicking the dog aggrssively for example) and the dog then kicked into defense ('save my life' drive). Maybe the dog has been 'touched' up by an aggressive owner previously or maybe it was mentally unstable for whatever reason.

I had an interesting experience a few years back that could have turned nasty with a different dog. I had my aggressive bitch tied in my shed while the telstra man was doing some work on my phone lines. The bitch hated men and was not a stable girl. I told him to not go near her. Next to her I had my shepherd tied - just to keep him out of the way. He was a good stable dog and had done some basic schauzhund training. I was standing near the GSD but looking away and idiot man decided to pat the growling bitch. (He knew dogs, of course, he said afterwards). She lunged at him and jerked backwards onto the ground when she hit the end of her rope. Missed him by not much - that would have been a serious bit as she was mean. I swung around when I heard the noise and my GSD jumped at me and hung onto my arm. As soon as I looked down at him and said his name and he looked up he dropped off and lay down calmly. I had a thick jumper on so it bruised a bit but not hurt or anything. I think he was prey-drive excited by the other 'mad' dog and just grabbed what was in front of him. On top of that I had swung around so my arms were moving around near his head.

Redirected aggression is a well known and relatively common phenomenon. The report (which may be exaggerated) makes it sound like a very deep wound, which would be uncharacteristic of social aggression. I'm not sure that I'd want to take a risk on having that dog around, even if the owner had some part to play.

Dosen't take much to bite a leg down to the bone, depending on where abouts on the leg. Have a feel on your shin, the skin there is only a few millimeters thick.

True, might not have been such a serious bite after all. Particularly with a bit of leg thrashing around, can even do more incidental damage than intended by the dog.