November Challenge

tlc

Ping came up with the idea of high speed or motion blur. I know we have done this one before but it was a long time ago now, so might be good to revisit.

So anything going fast, either frozen in motion or panning, so subject clear and back ground moving.

Things you can try

FROZEN MOTION

This is where you want to capture the motion with perfect sharpness and clarity. For this you will need a fast shutter speed (usually over 1/500th of a sec), wide open aperture (the lowest numbers you can get to) and depending on how much light you have, you may need a high ISO. The goal for frozen motion is to have every part of your subject sharp.

PANNING

This is where you want to capture motion that has a blur to give it a sense of movement however successful panning shots will have a point of focus that is still clear and readable. The best thing to get some initial practice on is cars driving down the street. Set your camera to a shutter speed of about 1/30th of a second (or even slower). You may need to make your aperture smaller and have it around F8 or greater. The trick is to move at the same speed as the subject while pressing the shutter button. Ultimately there should be a point of the subject that is sharp and clear but sufficient blur of the image to show the movement that occured.

I'll start.

file-73.jpg

file-72.jpg

file-111.jpg

Edited by tlc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perfect, When ping mentioned this I thought of your shots of Luka and crew right away. :laugh:

not like mine fly through the air much laugh.gif

do ears up in mid stride count laugh.gif

is this one ok

Oh, yes!!! Soooper Frodo !!! :)

it's his daughter Izzy ....like father like daughter laugh.gif

Edited by Frodo's mum

Super Izzy! what a great flying Frenchie shot :D

ooo Chester is handsome red border collie? I like all the flying water shots :)

Thank you, yes he is a red BC, very handsome.

Isn't Lola pretty too? She is a mutt LOL. Cocker spaniel cross mini foxie, so they told us.

Isn't Lola pretty too? She is a mutt LOL. Cocker spaniel cross mini foxie, so they told us.

yes :D Lola is pretty, they make a good looking couple! I only caught Chester because that's my boys' name too :)

yes :D Lola is pretty, they make a good looking couple! I only caught Chester because that's my boys' name too :)

They get on well together, Lola is Boss with a capital B :laugh: they compliment each other. She is a loud mouth bossy pants and he is quiet and sooky. I think it mirrors my husband and I.....

I always notice your Chester too, because of the name :) I have been lurking in all the photo threads thinking I must get back into posting some!

Great shots LP, love the action, they look like they are having a ball!!

Thanks tlc, they always have a ball at the beach. This was the first time I took the DSLR to the beach with them. Lola is bouncing in these photos - she does a spring pouncing thing constantly in the shallows - she is looking for "fish" to chase. She gets a lot of on-lookers laughing out loud at this springing dog LOL :laugh:

Chester just runs back and forth in and out of the water and keenly watches whether I am going to produce a toy to chase.

Edited by Lollipup

Taken during a hard fought game.

7862765950_14a3326ee7_z.jpg

153 by Leah 75, on Flickr

I took this one while I was trying to work out settings so I could take photos of the game pictured above. Very disappointed that the pool fencing was unadviodable.

7835800518_07ea51e04f_z.jpg

005 by Leah 75, on Flickr

7835675596_9232296c16_z.jpg

004 by Leah 75, on Flickr

Now to develop some new ideas for the month ...

Edited by Ping

lol @ Justice's "puppy-crack" face

~~~

okay, a couple of running at me shots of the dogs to start me off, taken the first few days this month, may need to employ a helper for something different :) ... and I wouldn't mind giving the panning/blur another go ...

8166434098_974faea05d_z.jpg

8166403755_482439de47_z.jpg

8166434398_1cb46382df_z.jpg

8166434668_d61d9a3612_z.jpg

:D

Great shots guys, I'm the same with the running shots, mine are pretty much similar and hard to get panning shots as they are usually running towards me.

I just remembered a non dog shot form a couple of months ago that would fit this thread, I'll have to dig it out.