High Potential Dogs In Low Potential Homes

I see so many dogs that would have such great potential with the right training, I guess to a degree all pet dogs have the potential and it just depends if the owner can bring it out.

Sometimes I think it is unfair though. For example, I would love a malinois, it is my goal. Yet even though I have the skills required I am putting it off because I know its such a huge commitment. Its like I want everything to be perfect first. So I'm not sure when it will happen. But then I see things like a working line malinios pup that the owners have bought purely for a pet with no plans for him whatsoever and they have little or no training skills and I just think its not fair - especially not fair on the dog.

I guess thats the way things go. Obviously people are choosing the wrong dogs for their situation and its a common thing.

Do you see this a lot and how does it usually turn out?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IFor example, I would love a malinois, it is my goal. Yet even though I have the skills required I am putting it off because I know its such a huge commitment.

It is? In what way?

You only have to spend 20 minutes at a pound to see a whole truckload of wasted potential. And perhaps how it turned out in some cases. I had a dog in my study I was utterly in awe of. You could do anything with that dog. Its owners chose to leave it in the yard on its own most of the time and sometimes let it in to hang out with the family. I was warned it was 'crazy'. Nope, incredible, just lacking guidance. I had a massive ethical crisis about it at the time. At the end of the day, though, I had data on this dog that spoke for itself. The dog was fine where it was. I haven't seen any evidence that waste of potential is a very big ethical concern in the scheme of things. Guts me, who is in seventh heaven seeing just what my dogs can do, but that's my problem, not the dogs'.

I have a 'high potential' dog in my low potential home :D

My SBT is the smartest dog I've ever owned. Gets everything so quickly and has taught me a lot about training.

She would be awesome at formal obedience, agility and/or flyball. I've dabbled in agility with her and the instructor was amazed and very enthusiastic about how quickly she picked it up. I've never followed through on anything due to time constraints and often feel as though she is 'wasted' with me. She is a much loved pet though and a very special girl!! :heart:

IFor example, I would love a malinois, it is my goal. Yet even though I have the skills required I am putting it off because I know its such a huge commitment.

It is? In what way?

I'm glad you get so much joy from your dogs Corvus :)

Well, you know how people say how crazy and high drive they are and I know I would need to put in a lot more training time than what I currently do, but that would be the point - to be able to improve my training skills etc. I worry about adding a third dog though and that the time I give to it will mean too much less time for my other dogs. I had lots of training plans for Chester but he is always suffering lameness and injuring himself so we are a bit limited sometimes. Plus I want to get into bitework etc. But I guess I worry I won't be good enough for such a high drive dog. I don't know - maybe I am expecting too much but I want it to work out how I picture it in my mind, if that makes sense.

My SBT is the smartest dog I've ever owned. Gets everything so quickly and has taught me a lot about training.

She would be awesome at formal obedience, agility and/or flyball. I've dabbled in agility with her and the instructor was amazed and very enthusiastic about how quickly she picked it up. I've never followed through on anything due to time constraints and often feel as though she is 'wasted' with me. She is a much loved pet though and a very special girl!! :heart:

Clyde! I think you are being too hard on yourself. I doubt you are a low potential home - I doubt that of any DOLers. :) It's obvious you love her and put time into her & meet her needs. I am referring more to people who don't do much at all with the dog but the dog really needs more.

ETA: I think probably most dogs have high potential really! :)

Edited by Lollipup

If my dogs were in a professional situation I have no doubt that they would be very successful. But I don't think it is fair to say that I am only offering them a low potential home. I dabble in competition with them but just because they are not what they could be in the hands of another trainer I don't think they are left unsatisfied - or at least that is my assumption.

My last dog too would have been great in a professional situation but he was only a family pet. As kids we kept him physically and mentally engaged and when I became interested in training he became my guineapig. I think he died having had a long and engaging life.

I think people often neglect to consider the mental challenges required for learning how to co-exist in a mixed species household/pack. There are a lot of different social cues to be learned and a lot of self restraint required of the puppy. Just think how old the dog was before you stopped having to manage their behaviour in certain situations. I have spent a lot of time around dogs raised in a kennel situation recently and its really making me appreciate the little things that my dogs have picked up which are conducive to us all living comfortably specifically in my household.

So to answer your question - I don't think I chose the wrong dogs for my situation. Part of what appeals to me about my breed is their adaptability, resilience and intelligence. I don't think they should be prevented from going to pet homes because they make brilliant working dogs.

If my dogs were in a professional situation I have no doubt that they would be very successful. But I don't think it is fair to say that I am only offering them a low potential home. I dabble in competition with them but just because they are not what they could be in the hands of another trainer I don't think they are left unsatisfied - or at least that is my assumption.

My last dog too would have been great in a professional situation but he was only a family pet. As kids we kept him physically and mentally engaged and when I became interested in training he became my guineapig. I think he died having had a long and engaging life.

I think people often neglect to consider the mental challenges required for learning how to co-exist in a mixed species household/pack. There are a lot of different social cues to be learned and a lot of self restraint required of the puppy. Just think how old the dog was before you stopped having to manage their behaviour in certain situations. I have spent a lot of time around dogs raised in a kennel situation recently and its really making me appreciate the little things that my dogs have picked up which are conducive to us all living comfortably specifically in my household.

So to answer your question - I don't think I chose the wrong dogs for my situation. Part of what appeals to me about my breed is their adaptability, resilience and intelligence. I don't think they should be prevented from going to pet homes because they make brilliant working dogs.

Absolutely! Maybe I worded the post wrong - I think its fine for working dogs to be in pet homes as long as they get enough training and attention. Some dogs need the owners to be more involved than others but also many owners start out not knowing what they are doing and it turns out great because they are willing to learn about it and put in the work. Its when they are left in backyards with nothing to stimulate them at all that there is an issue and that goes for any dog.

I know what you mean about the work you put in raising a dog. We recently had a foster dog who had been left in a backyard all her life with no training and never lived inside. She came to us at nine months of age and wow you really notice all the things you have trained with the other dogs from puppy hood and how much they have really learned! She had great potential too :) She went to a nice pet home and I hope they keep up with her training and she will turn out great.

Its when they are left in backyards with nothing to stimulate them at all that there is an issue and that goes for any dog.

I think that counts more as neglect than not meeting potential.

I often have a hard time trying to figure out how to word things that are in my head when putting them on paper. So.. I kinda had a hunch that that was what you were trying to get at....?

Well, you know how people say how crazy and high drive they are and I know I would need to put in a lot more training time than what I currently do, but that would be the point - to be able to improve my training skills etc.

How much training do you do now? How much are you anticipating you would have to do for a malinois?

I'm not baiting or anything, just information seeking. I'm interested in what people's expectations are for active, high drive breeds.

Haha, same.. I have always thought that Ziggy would be awesome at flyball.. He is so ball focused and loves to run and jump stuff.

We had an awesome kelpie cross, Gussy, here last year and he was so smart.. He picked up everything you taught him so quickly and he was fast... He went to a pet home where he goes fishing with the dad heaps.. He loves it.. He had so much potential but he leads a very happy life anyway..

I'm quite aware that I have a reasonably high potential dog in my less than capable beginner hands. I've been told by people I highly respect that he's got great potential for obedience, agility, tracking & S&R, rally, and/or flyball, and in the right hands he would be trial ready in weeks.

As a result, it's a huge frustration to me that despite lots of effort, I'm having problems with basic obedience and engagement, and it's completely my fault. I'm just going to have to use that frustration as a motivator to get better.

To borrow a phrase, 'Ambitious but Rubbish'!

I'm quite aware that I have a reasonably high potential dog in my less than capable beginner hands. I've been told by people I highly respect that he's got great potential for obedience, agility, tracking & S&R, rally, and/or flyball, and in the right hands he would be trial ready in weeks.

As a result, it's a huge frustration to me that despite lots of effort, I'm having problems with basic obedience and engagement, and it's completely my fault. I'm just going to have to use that frustration as a motivator to get better.

Relax. Enjoy your dog. Forgive your mistakes. Celebrate every achievement.

I'll let you in on a secret....many of us are in the same boat!

Its when they are left in backyards with nothing to stimulate them at all that there is an issue and that goes for any dog.

I think that counts more as neglect than not meeting potential.

I often have a hard time trying to figure out how to word things that are in my head when putting them on paper. So.. I kinda had a hunch that that was what you were trying to get at....?

I have a major problem with wording things correctly the way it is in my head. Especially on dol - I am forever thinking oh crap, that's not what I meant, please don't take it the wrong way!

Both my dogs have more potential than what they are meeting. So I guess I am talking more about really slack owners without an interest, and/or neglect.

Thanks for understanding, I hope no one gets offended by my OP!

Well, you know how people say how crazy and high drive they are and I know I would need to put in a lot more training time than what I currently do, but that would be the point - to be able to improve my training skills etc.

How much training do you do now? How much are you anticipating you would have to do for a malinois?

I'm not baiting or anything, just information seeking. I'm interested in what people's expectations are for active, high drive breeds.

Hmm your questions intimidate me lol

Now - Not as much training time as I should but there have been a few issues. I've been working with Lola more because as I mentioned Chester has been constantly injuring himself and on rest. I can still do things with him but not the things I originally planned. First he got ED at 5 months of age. Heaps of crate rest, operation, more crate rest. Then he sometimes starts to limp and needs some quiet time. Then he developed a bone fragment on his toe, thats the latest issue, so he is on more rest. So we just do little bits and pieces to keep him occupied. Thing is he loves to run and jump as soon as we interact so I have to keep him settled.

The plan for a working dog would be to take him/her lots of places with me as I run a business where I can take a dog with me, and train the dog to be happy to wait in a crate while I'm busy, then go lots of places and train in lots of different areas. I'd like to give this a try with the current dogs for a while first to make sure it works the way I picture it. So there would be more time spent with the mal, but I need to ensure my other dogs get the time they need as well. There are lots of things I want to tick off before allowing myself to get another dog. Again, not great at writing down what is in my head lol.

As for expectations, I would expect a mali to be a lifestyle kind of dog - lots of daily interaction at the least, training every day as the ideal.

I think my dogs have a higher potential than what is being brought out of them too. We all have to start somewhere though! Sounds like you're doing great and learning lots - each dog teaches us something different :)

^^ agree with this, said much more eloquently than I could! Glad to know there's a few in the same boat then :)

I have high potential dogs who havent achieved as much as they could- a whole collection of 'almosts', most of whom I buggered up a bit of their training and never managed to unbugger it. But ultimately they all get fed, get to sleep on my bed, are next to me when I have to study and get walks and outings. They dont care if they cant run flyball or get their CCD or PT. I have been working on a few things with the 'broken' ones (all have the same bad habit at flyball) to try and not break the next one, AND somehow find the time to do the training with her once I have settled on a plan AND be observant enough to notice if the plan isnt working with her.

I think there are many little pieces to getting your dog to achieve its 'potential' and until you go down that road you cant really plan for it. And ultimately dogs dont care about titles so who am I to say they havent reached their potential in the area that they chose- chasing birds, hogging the bed/lounge and doing extreme zoomies?

Edited by Jumabaar

I have one out cold asleep in her crate right this minute. Approx 13 month old BC x probably Kelpie. I should be working her everyday but struggle to find the time to do one on one work with her. In saying that though she is a nice happy dog who does get exercised and everything else she needs.

I am going to get tough on myself in the new year and start some serious training with her, and hopefully have some letters behind her name by the end of 2013.

Why is everyone focusing on titles? I don't think that was the intention of the OP?

Rather, there are do many dogs getting no mental stimulation because they were bought because it's the thing to do.

I am a terrible handler and give my dogs lots of bum steers. We have so much fun though and they really have TP work extra hard to cope with ol' dumbo. However, they're getting plenty of mental and physical exercise and we're having a ball so I don't think Lollipup would classify us as wasted potential.

Why is everyone focusing on titles? I don't think that was the intention of the OP?

Rather, there are do many dogs getting no mental stimulation because they were bought because it's the thing to do.

I am a terrible handler and give my dogs lots of bum steers. We have so much fun though and they really have TP work extra hard to cope with ol' dumbo. However, they're getting plenty of mental and physical exercise and we're having a ball so I don't think Lollipup would classify us as wasted potential.

Yeah, I don't even care about titles myself :laugh: I'm not competitive enough.

I'm not saying I can classify anyones dogs but I don't think anyone here on dol is wasting their dogs because they are all dog lovers who give their dogs good lives. The intention of the topic was more what you said above - "Rather, there are do many dogs getting no mental stimulation because they were bought because it's the thing to do."

Even if there is a dog who had the potential to be a professional or win titles but they were always "just a pet dog," if they are loved and having their needs met then they are by no means wasted :)

I agree :) I always say I am my dogs handicap , while they may never reach the heights in agility they are capable of , we have fun :D

I suppose I could say my high potential agility dogs have a low agility potential owner :rofl:

Yeah, I don't even care about titles myself :laugh: I'm not competitive enough.

I'm not saying I can classify anyones dogs but I don't think anyone here on dol is wasting their dogs because they are all dog lovers who give their dogs good lives. The intention of the topic was more what you said above - "Rather, there are do many dogs getting no mental stimulation because they were bought because it's the thing to do."

Even if there is a dog who had the potential to be a professional or win titles but they were always "just a pet dog," if they are loved and having their needs met then they are by no means wasted :)

I see dogs neglected and I guess wasted due to ignorance and because dog ownership is a right rather than a privilege.

AKA my great aunt and her son who have two dogs

1) a cattle x who is AMAZING I trained him to do flyball in a couple of weeks, turn on the dime recalls perfect loose lead walking etc and who now sits in the back yard or gets to walk his owner around the streets

2) an oops litter kelpie from two kelpies who cant work stock- its afraid of its own shadow, bounces and is generally a bit of a pest due to lack of training.

Her son is now asking to borrow my dog, who lives with my grandparents as a companion/therapy dog because he likes visiting the local nursing home and the SWF that he was borrowing has now moved. I am saying no because my girl has an amazing temperament (is a delta dog) but can get a little anxious about things (like people holding sticks in the air, which some oldies do occasionally- she is happy when they are leaning on them lol) and I dont think he can give her the support she needs. BUT my question is why didnt he get a dog that could go and visit nursing homes instead of having two dogs wasted in the back yard and trying to steal mine?? Had he told me he wanted a dog before he got the second one I could have arranged for them to get a relative of my girl (that I probably would have bought so I could show it).

So yes there are dogs wasted but its not because 'its the thing to do' its because people dont put in the effort of groundwork with what they have so their dogs are too naughty to do anything with or they get something completely unsuitable.