High Potential Dogs In Low Potential Homes

Good examples Jumabaar. So it could be either neglectful owners or just owners who don't put in the time or effort.

My parents have inherited two small dogs from my sister since she ran off to do her own thing and got divorced and couldn't take them with her. They never asked for these dogs. They love them and care for them but no training whatsoever. They do try though and its not their fault, but if these dogs had just basic training everyone would be happier all round. They aren't even working breeds so its not to do with professional dogs or dogs that could get titles etc. Just a lack of training and attention.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to apologise to Kirra's breeder because she had given me a potentially awesome agility girl and I couldn't live up to her potential :-). Her wise response was that the dog didn't case about ribbons or titles ... she just loved having fun with me. I always treasure those words. And my little girl is still having fun at nearly 11, and titles as a bonus. But first and foremost my dogs realise their potential as pets and companions who dabble in lots of sports. :-)

I have a 'high potential' dog in my low potential home :D

Me too. My home is so low potential I can't even tell how high potential my dog is. She is an intense little animal, and I sort of suspect that indicates she has the drive required for high level competition, but I am actually so clueless I could be wrong there.

Anyway, she doesn't really care that we just play tug & fetch for fun instead of for srsbsns competition, she gets the exercise and stimulation she needs to be happy & fulfilled, so it's all the same to her.

As a result, it's a huge frustration to me that despite lots of effort, I'm having problems with basic obedience and engagement, and it's completely my fault. I'm just going to have to use that frustration as a motivator to get better.

Are you dealing with an adolescent dog by any chance? My dog's adolescence was horrific, I'm not sure how I emerged from that with my sanity intact, maybe I didn't? But, by the time she hit about 2 and a half or so, she had matured into a really great little dog. Every so often I remind my husband "Remember how she used to be when we first got her?" and he kind of shudders with horror at the memory. I've spoken to a lot of people who found their dog's adolescence similarly trying. Give it some time though, once adolescence is over they mellow and settle to become the pet you always wanted. XD

When I worked at the dog daycare I would see dogs and think - they would be awesome to train and compete with! There was the odd one I would have loved to take home . . .

Lollipup I completely understand about your stance with the Malinois - I feel the same way :) Would love to get one but don't know if my skills are up to scratch for getting the best out of one yet. Plus I have little kids and not sure how well that would work. I have decided to get another Kelpie next and then see where we are after that.

When I worked at the dog daycare I would see dogs and think - they would be awesome to train and compete with! There was the odd one I would have loved to take home . . .

Lollipup I completely understand about your stance with the Malinois - I feel the same way :) Would love to get one but don't know if my skills are up to scratch for getting the best out of one yet. Plus I have little kids and not sure how well that would work. I have decided to get another Kelpie next and then see where we are after that.

We don't have kids and no plans for them, our life is all about the dogs. I still see it as a big challenge though. We are also limited in that we can't have as many dogs as I would like - can register 2 and pay extra for a third but that's it. I'd have 6 dogs if it were up to me and the circumstances were right!

When I was having my ethical crisis I had to admit that there are an awful lot of people out there who also won't meet their potential for various reasons. When I thought about all the people stuck in retail and cleaning and menial labour jobs I kinda let the dog thing go. I know folks who have a job that doesn't get anywhere near meeting their needs for mental stimulation. If dogs are well cared for, have good food and shelter, and are loved, that's more than some people have.

I see loads of dogs in domestic obedience classes that I would love to see in a sporting home, but they are energetic, well-loved pets and that's all they will ever be :) there is no shortage of potential sport dogs in the world! Their owners love them, exercise them, make sure they have good manners... They don't know what they are missing out on!

I, too am in the "wants a malinois" boat - maybe next dog! I think Elsie my BC/JRT is good practice, and I'm sure she would do better in a more experienced home, but we're in this together and loving every minute of it!

Plenty of people own working line dogs and lead normal lives, work full time jobs, etc. You don't need 'time' to train so much as you need a plan and good management skills.

Yup but it's not like you can have time off really or put the dog aside if something comes up. I have a new Mal here, 13 month old male who knows nothing at all, he's a blank slate. He's needing at least 1-2 hours one on one attention a day from me, on top of everything else I have as well, he cant miss out at all and neither can the others.

*twitch* I will get to sleep one day

I'm going to go against the grain and say if I wanted a dog for competition, I would get a working line Australian Shepherd rather than a Mal :love: They just have biddability down to the bone.

Part of me thinks that would be too easy tho :laugh: And for better or worse, my heart belongs to kelpies :)

Never heard of a w/l Australian Sheppard! Most of the ones that I've seen in agility are low - medium drive *dons flame suit because they seem to be the popular choice for agility these days*. Are there any in Australia?

It would be a w/l mal or ESS for me. However, with two young, active dogs and full-time work (so away for 12 hours a day) it isn't on the cards in the near future. They would be an only dog, or the second dog would be older. My two don't compete but with training 3 times a week and 10 hours training travel time a week I just couldn't fit another dog into my life at the moment!

I work FT and I don't have hours a day to put into my dogs, however I could easily leave my beagle at home for 14 hours while I'm at work etc and come home and all I need to do with her is feed her and give her affection and she's happy to curl up on the lounge next to me and chill out. The Mal requires a bit stricter management to live with and while training is easy in some ways because she's so smart and driven and just an all round awesome dog, they obviously don't suit everyone. Even friends of mine with dogs I would also consider to be high drive look at her and go :eek:

I've met people with awesome dogs who are capable of being super stars but the owner isn't interested in further training or sports or anything like that. The dog doesn't know any different but you can't help but look at them sometimes and think 'what if...' :)

Part of me thinks that would be too easy tho :laugh: And for better or worse, my heart belongs to kelpies :)

This is what I think the other times :laugh: though inserting Mal or BC instead of Aussie Shepherd. There is something about the look in the Kelpie's eyes . . . :love:

Sometimes I think a low potential dog in a high potential home can be harder. Plenty of those around.

Yep.

It'd be nice to have a higher drive/faster dog for agility but to be fair to my dog, I didn't get her with the intention of competing in dog sports and I think she probably had very high potential for her intended purpose as a guide or assistance dog if it weren't for her health issues. I still love her and think she's the perfect dog for me even if she's not the best at agility or other dog sports :D

I also think its better for me, as a beginner in agility to have a slightly slower/lower drive dog than the other way round! I see plenty of fast, driven dogs with handlers that don't have the athletic or training ability to allow them to reach their full potential imo :flame: . Having said that, it is amazing the way some of these people develop their distance handling, but to me, agility is about the both the dog and the handler being fast and agile and working together.

I feel sorry for any dog that just sits in the backyard, whether or not they have low or high potential for other activities :(

There are plenty of performance bred aussies around, but few actual "working" aussies.

I've met people with awesome dogs who are capable of being super stars but the owner isn't interested in further training or sports or anything like that. The dog doesn't know any different but you can't help but look at them sometimes and think 'what if...' :)

yeah its not always a negative thing to see, just something that makes you think about the what ifs.

Sometimes I think a low potential dog in a high potential home can be harder. Plenty of those around.

Agree. Causes lots of frustration.

Yes I agree too. I get frustrated that I can't do the things with Chester that I had planned although i'm sure he would have the potential, his injuries & health prevent it. At the end of the day he is still part of the family and much loved.

I am guilty of having low potential home :(

HonBun would be great at agility/obedience. Unfortunately I am yet to win Lotto. I will be able to offer her that opportunity when I can stop working.

Until then 2 walks per day, play with her "sibs" and lots of love must suffice.

Edited by Kajtek