Where To Get A Grooming Table

giraffez

Should be sturdy enough for a mini schnauzer when it has had border collies on it all it's life. 1 of my girls likes to sleep on it so is constantly jumping on and off of it without me there supporting it or anything. The legs on it are exactly the same as I have seen on commercially made tables.

The thing I would say is look closely at the piece of ply you select (I think mine is 12mm thick), I didn't and the piece I got was quite bowed when I got it so the top of my table has never been truly level. If I was replacing the top I would compare a few pieces for the least bowed piece.

I was surprised to be able to find the proper folding legs. They were the most expensive part of the table at about $20 to $25.

Giraffez, have a look around at burnings as I have since seen half size folding trestle tables there for a good price that look like they would do the job with just a non slip mat on top.

Here we go, pictures:

Standing up:

20121110_085553_resized.jpg

Jeez that is EXACTLY like one of my tables!! (so much so it could be it! :laugh: )

To make it I bought a wooden tresle table on Special at Bunnings (long time ago). We shortened the top and then stuck the blue pyramid matting on top. It is a great little table (and no I don't use it for the Pyrs, just puppies and smaller dogs. Though it is a very sturdy table and can definitely take dogs up to Border Collie size without issue)

One important thing when choosing a table is to look at the legs. The legs determine how stable a table will be. If the bottom (inverted U shape usually) is low and wide it will be more stable than if the U is longer.

For example the grooming tables in the first and third pictures are less stable than the second and fourth (if the pics are in a different order - the good ones are labeled 'good grooming table'). If you look at the pic above too, the legs on that one are good and stable.

post-5072-0-77234800-1352762869_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-18249900-1352762978_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-30744100-1352763021_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-94330200-1352763042_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

BTW, look around on places like gumtree too. You can sometimes pick trestle tables up for a song. Then just need to cut the top to size, reattach the legs and buy the matting for the top:

for example:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toowoomba-region/other-furniture/trestle-tables-x-4-perfect-for-markets/1009349817

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bargara/other-home-garden/trestle-table-with-folding-legs/1008598736

Jeez that is EXACTLY like one of my tables!! (so much so it could be it! :laugh: )

To make it I bought a wooden tresle table on Special at Bunnings (long time ago). We shortened the top and then stuck the blue pyramid matting on top. It is a great little table (and no I don't use it for the Pyrs, just puppies and smaller dogs. Though it is a very sturdy table and can definitely take dogs up to Border Collie size without issue)

Your method was our original plan but they only had plastic trestles and then we found they sold the legs separately so worked out we could just stick a piece of ply on top. When we went looking for something to go on top we never expected to find pyramid matting and at a really good price. Looks almost as good as a bought 1 and does the job well :)

When you can get a good used grooming table on DOL classifieds why would you bother to make one yourself??

Sometimes making an item especially one like a grooming table is false economy.

Because sometimes you need it and there is not a bargain available. If I could have got a ready made alternative for a similar price, I would have.

When you can get a good used grooming table on DOL classifieds why would you bother to make one yourself??

Sometimes making an item especially one like a grooming table is false economy.

Unless you have to drive 300 or more km to get it. Or no one has one when you want it. Certainly at the time I made mine it was the cheap option as I looked. If someone can find what they want cheap then great!